Sipura SPA-2100 problems

Old April 29th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil McKerracher

Default Sipura SPA-2100 problems

I've just bought a Sipura SPA-2100 phone adapter (branded "BlueTalk") and I
have to say I'm not at all impressed - it's basically not "fit for purpose"
so I thought I'd warn people here.

First, I had a lot of trouble accessing the configuration menu, because the
supplied instructions are all wrong!

The BlueTalk "Quick Start Guide" says to connect a phone and dial *****
(five stars) to access the phone menu - it should actually be **** (four
stars), so you hear a bogus "command cancelled" message but at least you get
the menu eventually.

Then it says to dial 110# to get the IP address of the unit. But this gives
you the IP address of the WAN port, which doesn't have a web server enabled
at all (by default) and isn't the port you would normally connect your PC
to. So it's impossible to access the setup menu this way.

The instructions don't actually tell you where to connect your PC either. If
you just plug the WAN port of the unit into your home LAN you could enable
the web server using command 7932 then 1 and configure the unit from your PC
elsewhere on the LAN. But if you plug your PC into the port labelled 'PC'
(which I think is what they intend) then you need to use the command 210# to
discover the IP address to use.

The separate Sipura "Installation and Configuration Guide" (a single page)
is no better - it tells you to connect to the configuration menu using IP
address 192.168.0.1, but it's actually on 192.168.1.1 (different subnet).

The connection instructions also seem to be wrong as well. If you have a
home network, they say to connect the WAN port of the SPA-2100 to the LAN
port on your router, but shouldn't it be the other way round, so that the
SPA-2100 is between the cable/ADSL modem and the home router and thus gives
voice traffic priority over all the LAN traffic?

After visiting the linksys web site to download the "Administrative
Supplement", update to the latest firmware (currently 3.2.5d) and doing a
factory reset, I did eventually manage to connect and make a call via
voipfone.co.uk and bluetalk.org (but not voipcheap.co.uk - has anyone
managed this?).

However, after making a few test calls I found that incoming calls no longer
worked. There was no fault indication in the configuration menus and
outgoing calls still connected OK, but incoming calls to either port
silently failed. Recycling the power fixed the problem for a while, but the
net result is that I can't trust the unit so it is now gathering dust until
a software updgrade that fixes this problem appears.

An additional warning for UK users - although the unit has two analogue
ports, only one UK adapter is supplied, so you will have to buy another
separately if you want to use both ports. You will also have to change quite
a few obscure settings to get caller ID and the dial plan working.

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.org

Old April 29th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Phil McKerracher" wrote in message
k...
The connection instructions also seem to be wrong as well. If you have a
home network, they say to connect the WAN port of the SPA-2100 to the LAN
port on your router, but shouldn't it be the other way round, so that the
SPA-2100 is between the cable/ADSL modem and the home router and thus
gives
voice traffic priority over all the LAN traffic?

Yes.....and no.

The suggested configuration is how I have mine - the spa2100 has a 10BaseT
WAN port, so it would throttle my internet speed, with overheads. I did try
it the way you suggest, however, the QoS gain was outweighed by losses
elsewhere.

Much simpler to get a proper router with effective QoS & use the spa2100 as
an ATA.

Old April 30th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Phil McKerracher wrote:

The connection instructions also seem to be wrong as well. If you have a
home network, they say to connect the WAN port of the SPA-2100 to the LAN
port on your router, but shouldn't it be the other way round, so that the
SPA-2100 is between the cable/ADSL modem and the home router and thus gives
voice traffic priority over all the LAN traffic?

in the UK most ADSL users will have a combined modem/router so plugging
it into the router would be correct.

An additional warning for UK users - although the unit has two analogue
ports, only one UK adapter is supplied, so you will have to buy another
separately if you want to use both ports.

at least you got one, more than most people will experience.

Phil

Old May 2nd 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Phil McKerracher wrote:
[...]

I think this is a little unfair in places. It sounds to me like the
majority of your problems stem from the fact you bought a unit
pre-configured for a specific service provider who have supplied
insufficient instructions based around other Sipura/Linksys adaptors
which have only a single WAN port.

People using this with an existing router are more likely to have an
all-in-one cable router or ADSL router which physically wont allow them
to connect the SPA-2100 inbetween the modem and router part. So for
most people just connecting the WAN port to the router is the way to do
it. Ideally if this is your situation, an SPA-2002 is more suitable.

192.168.0.1 IS the default LAN IP address of an SPA-2100, it sounds like
yours has been pre-configured on a different subnet for some reason.

To get your registration with Voipfone.co.uk working, change the
re-registration interval in Line 1/Line 2 pages of the web interface to
60 seconds rather than the default 3600 seconds (1 hour).

As for UK adaptors for the phone ports, none come with the units from
Linksys so it is up to your individual supplier to put these in (or not
as the case may be). A good supplier will put two in ;-)

I don't think it's very fair to state that the SPA-2100 is "not fit for
purpose" as there are 100s/1000s of people in the UK using them just
fine. You should be having words with whoever you bought this off.

Sorry for the rant....

cheers,
Paul.