Time server addresses?

Old April 29th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

Default Time server addresses?

Prompted by the current discussion of time server (mis)use, most
recently seen at:

http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2...-link-settles/

, I thought I would take a look at my own router's time server
settings: I didn't recall being asked to configure it, and the ISP -
which happens to be plusnet, but the question is a more general one -
does not make any time server address recommendations on its list of
customer settings.

Here's what my router says, which seems to be its vendor-specified
defaults:

$get sntp servaddr

Server Addr : 0.0.0.0 Status : standby
Domain Name : Time.apple.com

Server Addr : 17.83.254.7 Status : active
Domain Name : Time.asia.apple.com

Server Addr : 0.0.0.0 Status : standby
Domain Name : Time.euro.apple.com

Server Addr : 0.0.0.0 Status : standby
Domain Name : www.time.gov

Server Addr : 0.0.0.0 Status : standby
Domain Name : www.worldtimeserver.com

Any thoughts on whether that was a good choice? - particularly in the
light of the discussion cited above?

Quite why it has latched onto Time.asia.apple.com is a mystery to me.
I haven't yet found any explanation of how it decides which one to
use. (This happens to be the BT Voyager 205, but the question is a
more general one).

How does one go about locating an appropriate time server, which is
willing to be used in this way by domestic customers? I found
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome , but it seemed quite a
research effort would be involved, not only to locate a server but
also to verify that one was not violating its acceptable use rules.

Is this something which one could expect an ISP to research, and
recommend to customers?

cheers
Old April 29th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article [email protected],
Alan J. Flavell wrote:

How does one go about locating an appropriate time server, which is
willing to be used in this way by domestic customers? I found
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome , but it seemed quite a
research effort would be involved, not only to locate a server but
also to verify that one was not violating its acceptable use rules.

Have a look at www.ntp.org.

Time servers you should use are simply pool.ntp.org, or more preferably,
since you are in the UK, uk.pool.ntp.org.

The name resolves to seval IP addresses, so simply list it a few times
for good measure if you can.

Cheers,

Gordon
Old April 29th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Have a look at www.ntp.org.

Time servers you should use are simply pool.ntp.org, or more
preferably, since you are in the UK, uk.pool.ntp.org.

Ah, thanks. And helped by your hint, I've now found my way to
http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/uk with links for more details.

Cheers,

and you ;-)

--

The only problem I had with MSN messenger was finding out how to turn it
off. Once that was accomplished, I was a lot happier. - Chris Tolley