Out of morbid curiosity

Old April 29th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Default Out of morbid curiosity

Just out of curiosity - what would be an alternative to this?

8MB Broadband - 2GB Limit*
All 01/02 calls included
Line rental

With BT - 43.49 a month.

* Seems that as long as you stay under 20GB a month and you don't take the
**** you'll not be penalised. I hardly go over 4GB a month.

What would be an alternative to this?

Just one thing though - NOT TALK TALK, Tiscali or Biscit.

Anyone else out there?

Simon

Old April 29th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
Just out of curiosity - what would be an alternative to this?

8MB Broadband - 2GB Limit*
All 01/02 calls included
Line rental

With BT - 43.49 a month.

* Seems that as long as you stay under 20GB a month and you don't take the
**** you'll not be penalised. I hardly go over 4GB a month.

What would be an alternative to this?

Just one thing though - NOT TALK TALK, Tiscali or Biscit.

Anyone else out there?

Simon

Forgot to mention - I got a free wireless router with BT. Unfortunately that
will only work with BT, so I need to factor in that cost as well. I need
wireless.

My gut feeling is "stay with BT".

Agree?

Simon

Old April 29th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
linker3000

Simon Ough wrote:
"Simon Ough" wrote in message
Just out of curiosity - what would be an alternative to this?

8MB Broadband - 2GB Limit*
All 01/02 calls included
Line rental

With BT - 43.49 a month.

* Seems that as long as you stay under 20GB a month and you don't take the
**** you'll not be penalised. I hardly go over 4GB a month.

What would be an alternative to this?

Just one thing though - NOT TALK TALK, Tiscali or Biscit.

Anyone else out there?

Simon

Forgot to mention - I got a free wireless router with BT. Unfortunately that
will only work with BT, so I need to factor in that cost as well. I need
wireless.

My gut feeling is "stay with BT".

Agree?

Simon

What make of router - most can be re-educated to work with other providers.
Old April 29th 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Llinker3000" wrote in message

What make of router - most can be re-educated to work with other
providers.

BT Voyager 2091

Old April 29th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
Llinker3000" wrote in message

What make of router - most can be re-educated to work with other
providers.

BT Voyager 2091

Apart from that one...............

Old April 29th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

I've just signed for PlusNet, which of course is non-U on this group, but
look for yourself.
They talk about 3Gb limit at peak times.
Their "Plus" service costs 14.99 and you'd soon recover the cost of your
router (or you can have one "free")
According to my router my current speed is 5920Kb.
It took 7 days exactly from order.

Retired

Old April 30th 06, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ken r

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
"Simon Ough" wrote in message
Just out of curiosity - what would be an alternative to this?

8MB Broadband - 2GB Limit*
All 01/02 calls included
Line rental

With BT - 43.49 a month.

* Seems that as long as you stay under 20GB a month and you don't take
the **** you'll not be penalised. I hardly go over 4GB a month.

What would be an alternative to this?

Just one thing though - NOT TALK TALK, Tiscali or Biscit.

Anyone else out there?

Simon

Forgot to mention - I got a free wireless router with BT. Unfortunately
that will only work with BT, so I need to factor in that cost as well. I
need wireless.

My gut feeling is "stay with BT".

Agree?

Simon

It sounds like you love to throw money down the drain, you're exactly the
"type" major companies target. They know you need your hand holding, will
believe anything they say and pay them anything they ask. Try looking on
the Martin Lewis money saving expert site.

Old April 30th 06, 03:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Apr 2006, "Simon Ough" wrote:

8MB Broadband - 2GB Limit*
All 01/02 calls included
Line rental

What would be an alternative to this?

Very limited if you are including the line rental as part of the wanted
list. Plus.Net will charge 15 for line rental (and 01/02 calls), and a
further 14.99 on Broadband Plus (which might be unsuitable for sizeable
numbers of users as there is traffic calming on peer-to-peer and Usenet
connections (except "whitelisted" known text-only NNTP servers), so not
much cop for binaries...

They're also doing a new "Broadband Basic" at 9.99 (inc 50 MB of traffic
and then additional 0.224p per MB, so 2 GB would cost about 14.40. Then
total would be ~24.50 (but the phone line option won't be available for
a couple of months, apparently

24.50 on Broadband Basic (less if under 2000 MB)
29.99 on Broadband Plus (with 'traffic calming')
30.99 on PAYG with 2 GB of traffic and minimal 'traffic calming'

Just one thing though - NOT TALK TALK, Tiscali or Biscit.
Anyone else out there?

Few, as I mentioned... Homechoice, Toucan (someone posted they use the
Tiscali network, but I cannot be sure). Bulldog and AOL UK. Peter M.
Old April 30th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

poster wrote:

Toucan (someone posted they use the
Tiscali network, but I cannot be sure).

its worse than that, Jim. Toucan resell a Tiscali service, rather than
just using their network.

Phil