Easy SIP hardware call recording?

Old April 30th 06, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

Default Easy SIP hardware call recording?

Hi all, I have a Linksys PAP2 with VoIPCheap (out) and Voipfone (in) and
wish to have the possibility to record calls.

Is there any easy freeware/shareware out there that can do this at the touch
of a button?
--
Thanks,
Me

I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for it!

Old April 30th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The s-Bray

"Chris Smithers" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all, I have a Linksys PAP2 with VoIPCheap (out) and Voipfone (in) and
wish to have the possibility to record calls.

Is there any easy freeware/shareware out there that can do this at the
touch of a button?
--
Thanks,
Me

I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for
it!

You can use the free utility Ethereal to decode the RTP packets and save it
to a wav of au file.
The only problem is, ethereal will only see traffic on your segment of the
switch, therefore you will have to connect your PC and PAP2 to a hub (not a
switch) before your router. Doing so will ensure that ethereal will capture
packets from the PAP2.

Old April 30th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

"The s-Bray" wrote in message
k...

You can use the free utility Ethereal to decode the RTP packets and save
it to a wav of au file.
The only problem is, ethereal will only see traffic on your segment of the
switch, therefore you will have to connect your PC and PAP2 to a hub (not
a switch) before your router. Doing so will ensure that ethereal will
capture packets from the PAP2.

Hmm sounds awfully complicated. Here is my current connection setup:

Internet Cable Modem Router { PC / Router Telephone

I assume this won't do? I'm not going to buy a hub as well so really hoping
for some other software that will do it.

What is the downside of only seeing 'traffic on my segment'?

Old April 30th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

There was a thread in the Voipfone forum discussing this, but some
older ones got auto-pruned a while back. One that remains says that it
is something they may consider introducing, meanwhile see the [lost]
thread for other users' suggestions. Maybe you could post and ask for
people to repeat some of those ideas.

http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/about267.html

Old April 30th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Chris Smithers wrote:
Hi all, I have a Linksys PAP2 with VoIPCheap (out) and Voipfone (in) and
wish to have the possibility to record calls.

Is there any easy freeware/shareware out there that can do this at the touch
of a button?

Easiest way is to change your service provider to one that does call
recording.

Tim
Old April 30th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Tim Bray explained :
Chris Smithers wrote:
Hi all, I have a Linksys PAP2 with VoIPCheap (out) and Voipfone (in) and
wish to have the possibility to record calls.

Is there any easy freeware/shareware out there that can do this at the
touch of a button?

Easiest way is to change your service provider to one that does call
recording.

Tim

Or, if it's important to him, set up [email protected] which can record all
calls, or on-demand recordings. Very effective.

Old April 30th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

"Jono" wrote in message
k...
Tim Bray explained :
Chris Smithers wrote:
Hi all, I have a Linksys PAP2 with VoIPCheap (out) and Voipfone (in) and
wish to have the possibility to record calls.

Is there any easy freeware/shareware out there that can do this at the
touch of a button?

Easiest way is to change your service provider to one that does call
recording.

Tim

Or, if it's important to him, set up [email protected] which can record all
calls, or on-demand recordings. Very effective.

Thanks, I'm new to all that and can't really understand the web page - e.g.
what's a PBX...

Basically will it allow me to:
Keep voipcheap as my outbound provider
Keep voipfone as inbound
Record calls to/from either?

If not what will? I'm pretty sure neither provider offer the service
themselves, but if anyone knows of any that do?

Old April 30th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

After serious thinking Chris Smithers wrote :

Thanks, I'm new to all that and can't really understand the web page - e.g.
what's a PBX...

Basically will it allow me to:
Keep voipcheap as my outbound provider
Keep voipfone as inbound
Record calls to/from either?

Absolutely, on all counts.

PBX=Private Branch eXchange. The sort of thing offices have with
internal extensions, press 9 for an outside line etc.

Look at http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ and
http://nerdvittles.com

Basically [email protected] has to be installed either on a standalone
machine, or, at a push as a virtual machine using something like vmware
player.

It (the aah server) will replace your ata in terms of registering with
your providers. Your ata will then register with your server. The
server can record calls in & out all the time, or on demand. (among
many, many things)

Old May 1st 06, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

"Jono" wrote in message
yonder.com.co.uk...
Absolutely, on all counts.

PBX=Private Branch eXchange. The sort of thing offices have with internal
extensions, press 9 for an outside line etc.

Look at http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ and
http://nerdvittles.com

Basically [email protected] has to be installed either on a standalone machine,
or, at a push as a virtual machine using something like vmware player.

It (the aah server) will replace your ata in terms of registering with
your providers. Your ata will then register with your server. The server
can record calls in & out all the time, or on demand. (among many, many
things)

Cheers but will this work with my PC switched off, purely for hardware call
recording via the Linksys PAP2 as per my original msg?

Old May 1st 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Jono" wrote in message
[...]

You could investigate installing asterisk on a router. There's a new Linksys
router that has a USB port that would allow you to connect an external hard
drive to store the recordings.

http://lestblood.imagodirt.net/archi...n-OpenWRT.html