BT Voyager 2091 Problem

Old April 30th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Desyfa

Default BT Voyager 2091 Problem

Hope someone can help. I've been reading quite a few posts, and think
I'm in the same boat as a few other Voyager 2091 users.

Right then. I was asked by a friend today to set up his BT Broadband
connection in their home, to connect three pcs wirelessly. After
connecting up one pc with the ethernet cable connected from the pc to
the router and the DSL line connected from the router to the telephone
socket, I installed the software and ran the "test connection" section
of the installation......"No Connection Found". I tried this for an
hour or so, to no avail. Then, all of a sudden the connection to the
Internet was found. Sounds strange, I know, but I discovered that the
router connected to the Internet at the exact time that someone had
picked the receiver of a phone up in the house. I tested this theory
for 2 hours, and it was proved!! The router only connected to the
network when a phone receiver in the house was picked up.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?? I guess after reading posts
about the Voyager 2091 that this router is not the best model on the
market and that I should get my friend a different one. I personally
use a D-Link G604T connecting to Freedom to Surf, and love it both the
router and the ISP.

If I was to take the option of getting my friend a different
router(e.g. a D-Link 604T), could anyone tell me the settings I would
need to enter into the new router. When I signed up to Freedom to
Surf, they sent me an email with all of the settings I needed to put
into the router along with a username and a password. My friend hasn't
received any information like this from BT, so I'm a bit worried that
if I get him a new router, I'll be bit stuck when trying to configure
it.

Hope someone can shed some light on the "Voyager 2091 Phone/Receiver
off the hook issue" and also point me in the direction of router
settings if I get an different model of router.

Thanks In Advance,

-Adam

Old April 30th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Desyfa

Additionally, would I need to know a Primary, Secondary and Static IP
Adress for the BT Broadband connection?

Cheers,

-adam

Old April 30th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article .com,
Desyfa says...
Additionally, would I need to know a Primary, Secondary and Static IP
Adress for the BT Broadband connection?

No.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 30th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article .com,
Desyfa says...

If I was to take the option of getting my friend a different
router(e.g. a D-Link 604T), could anyone tell me the settings I would
need to enter into the new router. When I signed up to Freedom to
Surf, they sent me an email with all of the settings I needed to put
into the router along with a username and a password. My friend hasn't
received any information like this from BT, so I'm a bit worried that
if I get him a new router, I'll be bit stuck when trying to configure
it.

OK, a bit of advice...

If you don't know the answer to those questions, you are the wrong
person to be helping your friend.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old May 1st 06, 02:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ken r

"Desyfa" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you don't know what settings to put into a router or how one works,
direct your friend to this group and we can all answer questions directly.
I think you might end up causing more confusion as you don't seem to know
even the simple things like user names, passwords etc.
Telling him to buy an identical router to the one you have so you can copy
all the settings over is a stupid idea, it will not solve the problem you
have mentioned. He will only be more annoyed at you when he wastes another
60.
You can try as many routers as you like. You need to establish what the
fault is FIRST with the line. Try to do it in a logical order, not by
guessing.

Old May 1st 06, 07:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
Desyfa says...

If I was to take the option of getting my friend a different
router(e.g. a D-Link 604T), could anyone tell me the settings I would
need to enter into the new router. When I signed up to Freedom to
Surf, they sent me an email with all of the settings I needed to put
into the router along with a username and a password. My friend hasn't
received any information like this from BT, so I'm a bit worried that
if I get him a new router, I'll be bit stuck when trying to configure
it.

OK, a bit of advice...

If you don't know the answer to those questions, you are the wrong
person to be helping your friend.

What a ****. what a useful response. Clearly you know **** all squared too.

The issue with the DSL at your mates property is a fault. Assuming you have
wiped out all the phones and internal wiring from being at fault (by
plugging the router into the master socket test jack (accessed by removing
the lower half of the socket faceplate)) the it is more than likely that
there is an HR (high resistance) break in the line. When the handset is
lifted, the line voltage drops from 50v down to around 9v and more current
flows, causing the resistance to clear itself with the load. Thats the good
news. The bad news is getting an Openreach engineer out that knows what he
is doing. (With ADSL most of them are clueless, especially on this kind of a
fault. Most will think that it's the effect of the moon in conjunction with
the kettle). The procedure is to report the fault via the broadband supplier
BT BROADBAND and NOT via bt line faults. It's the only way the right guy
will get the job. If you report it incorrectly to BT (telephones) as a fault
you will just be told to report it properly and may even be charged. How to
report a fault with BT Broadband is anyones guess, but I imagine it's a call
to Manjit in India. Good luck.

Old May 1st 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Spin Dryer

On 30 Apr 2006 15:04:54 -0700, [Desyfa] said :-

Hope someone can help. I've been reading quite a few posts, and think
I'm in the same boat as a few other Voyager 2091 users.

Right then. I was asked by a friend today to set up his BT Broadband
connection in their home, to connect three pcs wirelessly. After
connecting up one pc with the ethernet cable connected from the pc to
the router and the DSL line connected from the router to the telephone
socket, I installed the software

There was no need to install any software as you're connecting it via
ethernet.

and ran the "test connection" section
of the installation......"No Connection Found". I tried this for an
hour or so, to no avail. Then, all of a sudden the connection to the
Internet was found.

Sounds strange, I know, but I discovered that the
router connected to the Internet at the exact time that someone had
picked the receiver of a phone up in the house. I tested this theory
for 2 hours, and it was proved!! The router only connected to the
network when a phone receiver in the house was picked up.

That could indicate a possible filter problem - have you checked all
devices have filters attached ? Have you tried removing all devices
and filters ?

As for Sucuba Dude - that moron is a BT engineer. I let you draw your
own conclusion as to his attitude.
Old May 1st 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Desyfa

Thanks Conor, the shower of **** that you are. Glad you have nothing
better to do with your time than insult people in a place you are meant
to be helping them. Why log on at all, you ****. Damn, I get asked by
someone to help them out and then just get slagged off by complete
f*ckers like you.

Thanks Sucuba Dude for your response. Thats the kind of intelligent
reply that I was hoping for. I understand that fixing the line fault
is the first thing my friend should take care off. I'll get him to
contact the Durka Durka BT broadband call centre.

Thanks again,

love to you all

-adam
xxx

Old May 1st 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"Spin Dryer" wrote in message
On 30 Apr 2006 15:04:54 -0700, [Desyfa] said :-

As for Sucuba Dude - that moron is a BT engineer. I let you draw your
own conclusion as to his attitude.

Your only jealous. Thanks for your post, it really went no way towards
answering the OP's question.
As I did and I am a moron, and that there is no such thing as a BT engineer
any more (Openreach now luvvie), then that must make you a complete ****wit
I guess.

Old May 1st 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Spin Dryer

On Mon, 01 May 2006 15:11:05 GMT, [Sucuba Dude] said :-

"Spin Dryer" wrote in message
.. .
On 30 Apr 2006 15:04:54 -0700, [Desyfa] said :-

As for Sucuba Dude - that moron is a BT engineer. I let you draw your
own conclusion as to his attitude.

Your only jealous. Thanks for your post, it really went no way towards
answering the OP's question.
As I did and I am a moron, and that there is no such thing as a BT engineer
any more (Openreach now luvvie), then that must make you a complete ****wit
I guess.

No problem, just hope you have a job next week.