Recommended ADSL router for VOIP

Old May 1st 06, 06:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dizzley

Default Recommended ADSL router for VOIP

Do you need a specific kind of router to properly manage Voip traffic?
There are some with QoS features which prioritise Voip. I use my
broadband for lots of varied stuff but wonder if I should get one of
these routers.

What's good for the money?

I'm currently getting poor quality and silences especially from a
wireless PC.

Pete

Old May 1st 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"dizzley" writes:
Do you need a specific kind of router to properly manage Voip traffic?
There are some with QoS features which prioritise Voip. I use my
broadband for lots of varied stuff but wonder if I should get one of
these routers.

Mine doesn't, (actually, VoIP goes through two routers, neither
of which pay any attention to QoS), and I don't have any problems.
With a large FTP transfer running, it is just noticable if you
listen hard, but not obvious or obtrusive.

What's good for the money?

I'm currently getting poor quality and silences especially from a
wireless PC.

I would start by trying a hard-wired connection instead, to see
if the problem is the wireless link.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 1st 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dizzley

Yeah. Thanks. I think wireless is the real problem. I'll go wired and
report back.

I'm going to spend this UK Bank Holiday monday building an [email protected] box...

Pete

Old May 1st 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Smith

On 30 Apr 2006 22:11:20 -0700, "dizzley" wrote:

Do you need a specific kind of router to properly manage Voip traffic?
There are some with QoS features which prioritise Voip. I use my
broadband for lots of varied stuff but wonder if I should get one of
these routers.

What's good for the money?

I'm currently getting poor quality and silences especially from a
wireless PC.

Pete

Draytek Vigor 2800 does the job very nicely. In fact its the best
router on the market for most things. It does come a heffty price tag
though but WELL worth it.
Old May 3rd 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Furniss

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"dizzley" writes:

Do you need a specific kind of router to properly manage Voip traffic?
There are some with QoS features which prioritise Voip. I use my
broadband for lots of varied stuff but wonder if I should get one of
these routers.

Mine doesn't, (actually, VoIP goes through two routers, neither
of which pay any attention to QoS), and I don't have any problems.
With a large FTP transfer running, it is just noticable if you
listen hard, but not obvious or obtrusive.

Not that I've got any reccomendations as my router is an old p200 and I
don't use voip, but just because you can do an ftp upload + voip OK it
doesn't mean that QOS is not required for others.

The delay from one ftp upload will be limited by the tcp (c)window
advertised by the remote end and/or the size of the buffer in your
modem/router.

Try P2P (multiple tcps) or different kit and your results may be very
different - mine and many, AIUI, modems have buffers that are 2
seconds at 288kbit upstream dsl rates.

Andy.