Broadband Limbo

Old May 1st 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Craig Waddington

Default Broadband Limbo

Hi - any ideas/opinions on what to do in the following situation:

I had my broadband ceased against my wishes as a result of a known
problem in the LLU ordering system. Basically, I was with Hot Chilli. I
ordered Bulldog, and then after realising my mistake, cancelled them
shortly afterwards! On the proposed activation date, I lost connection
to Hot Chilli at midnight. After a lot of investigating, I was informed
by BT Wholesale, that an exception should have been created to cancel
the Hot Chilli cease, but there is a known problem which meant this
exception was not created, and the cease went ahead in error.

I now find myself in a position where I have no broadband and am unable
to order broadband with another supplier. My chosen new supplier (UK
Online) say I need a MAC code from my previous supplier. Hot Chilli say
they are not supplier, and can not generate a MAC code. BT Wholesale
say I don't need a MAC code - that my line is free, and that there is
an issue with the availability checker which means it will show
out-of-date information for upto 30 days! They say UK Online should be
able to raise a manual order which would be accepted, but UK Online say
this is not possible.

I thought about going with a different supplier, but they all seem to
say I need a MAC code. Any ideas on what to do? Anyone experienced a
similar problem, and know how long it will take to fix?

Old May 1st 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 1 May 2006 09:56:08 UTC, "Craig Waddington"
wrote:

I thought about going with a different supplier, but they all seem to
say I need a MAC code.

(MAC, not 'MAC code', but...)

You just haven't approached the right supplier. The better ISPs will be
happy to raise a manual order. However, you are now in the situation,
without a MAC, where it'll be a 'new' connection and not a migration, no
matter who you go with. So there may be an upfront fee or a contract
tie-in to cover the ISP's initial fee to BT.

Try other ISPs. It may be that you've been trying low end ones, many of
whom either haven't a clue, or can't be bothered to do manual orders.

euthanasia recommended. ]