Question about LLU

Old May 1st 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

Default Question about LLU

My ISP, Metronet (Plusnet), is going to give us upgraded speeds on our
broadband packages effectively doubling the speed sometime soon. What I want
to know is does this involve LLU and will I still have a BT phone line if it
does mean LLU? Will this have any effect on BT select services that I have
on my phone line, in particular "Call sign"? I am aware that this service
isn't available if I transfer my phone line to another provider i.e. if I
pay line rental to anyone other than BT.

--
"you're not supposed to be sleeping Hawkeye!"

"I'm not sleeping Radar, I'm just inspecting the insides of my eyelids!"

I'm a hero with coward's legs. - Spike Milligan.

Old May 1st 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 May 2006, "Bryan" wrote:

My ISP, Metronet (Plusnet), is going to give us upgraded speeds on our
broadband packages effectively doubling the speed sometime soon. What I want
to know is does this involve LLU and will I still have a BT phone line if it
does mean LLU? Will this have any effect on BT select services that I have
on my phone line, in particular "Call sign"? I am aware that this service
isn't available if I transfer my phone line to another provider i.e. if I
pay line rental to anyone other than BT.

First off, the network services (Call Sign, caller display etc) aren't being
affected and you will still pay rental to BT for the line (unless you adopt
any phone line service from Plus.Net, if they later offer it to customers
on Metronet).

Second, the speed increase to "up to 8 Mbps" is now possible with BT's kit,
and unless they have indicated they will be moving users to an LLU service,
everything should stay much the same as now (just faster). If they have in
fact sent e-mail about LLU, then you might want to consider pros and cons of
the switch... They have suggested that in due course, there may be savings
to be passed on when a line uses LLU. There may be higher upload speeds,
too. However if you wanted to switch to another ISP, one using service
from BT Wholesale, then a migration (in the short-term) would not be a
simple matter, and could require cancellation of LLU service, a delay of
a number of days with no ADSL service at all, and then a new activation on
the BT service, with an activation fee of 40 +VAT (or contract terms which
keep you with the ISP for a period of time).

I'm using Plus.Net and they provided an "opt out" of LLU so customers could
make known their desire *not to be switched* to any LLU service, and stick
with a BT Wholesale service (which would make migration easier). Note also
that it is hoped (as reported on The Register a week or so back) that there
will be a smoother path for migration for LLU to/from BT Wholesale products,
so it should be possible in the next 3 months to be able to do this with a
smaller amount of downtime (say 2 days with no ADSL)... so in part my "opt
out" might not have been needed, but if they don't get the procedure working
then opting out saves me from the likelihood of downtime. Since Plus.Net is
offering this to PN/Force9/Free-Online customers, they should offer similar
to their customers on Metronet. Worth reading the forum for Metronet users
at http://www.adslguide.org/ ("Message Boards" link)
Old May 2nd 06, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Mon, 01 May 2006 17:56:08 +0100 (give or take a minute or two),
PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Bryan wrote:
My ISP, Metronet (Plusnet), is going to give us upgraded speeds on our
broadband packages effectively doubling the speed sometime soon. What I want
to know is does this involve LLU and will I still have a BT phone line if it
does mean LLU? Will this have any effect on BT select services that I have
on my phone line, in particular "Call sign"? I am aware that this service
isn't available if I transfer my phone line to another provider i.e. if I
pay line rental to anyone other than BT.

Hi there,

We use SMPF so no, your phone line will not be moved away from BT.

Regards,

What's SMPF -- Seldom Maintained Permanently Failing?

- ian
Old May 2nd 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 02 May 2006 ian wrote:

What's SMPF -- Seldom Maintained Permanently Failing?

LOL. I knew throwing in some jargon would be a bad idea :-
Old May 2nd 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

ian wrote in
:

On Mon, 01 May 2006 17:56:08 +0100 (give or take a minute or two),
What's SMPF -- Seldom Maintained Permanently Failing?

Shared Metalic Path Facility, so ADSL is shared with a third-party phone
service.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old May 4th 06, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Phil Chung wrote:
ian wrote in
:

On Mon, 01 May 2006 17:56:08 +0100 (give or take a minute or two),
What's SMPF -- Seldom Maintained Permanently Failing?

Shared Metalic Path Facility, so ADSL is shared with a third-party
phone service.

Which puts yet another link (or more) in the chain which you have to
work thru to get you fault repaired.....

So the suggestion, Seldom Maintained Permanently Failing, could very
well hold true