Recommended VoIP Supplier

Old May 1st 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Default Recommended VoIP Supplier

Hi All,

Looking for a recommendation on what VoIP service to try in a domestic
situation.
I understand from previous posts that Skype isn't the best, so what would
the readers of this newsgroup recommend?

Regards,
Nigel.

Old May 1st 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Looking for a recommendation on what VoIP service to try in a domestic
situation.
I understand from previous posts that Skype isn't the best, so what would
the readers of this newsgroup recommend?

Regards,
Nigel.

Skype always seems to come up in dinner-party conversation;

how it obtained its undeserved ubiquity I don't know. Skype rarely gets
discussed here.

Check out the many Fianarea services such as VoIPDiscount VoIPCheap &
VoIPStunt.

IMHO it is this little known company that has revolutionized this industry,
at least for domestic customers.

--

Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old May 1st 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Nigel wrote on 01/05/2006 :
Hi All,

Looking for a recommendation on what VoIP service to try in a domestic
situation.
I understand from previous posts that Skype isn't the best, so what would the
readers of this newsgroup recommend?

Regards,
Nigel.

Sipgate will provide a free inbound UK geographic number, without any
requirement to credit your account. voip.co.uk require a 10 top-up and
will also provide a UK number.

Sipgate have had issues, however, they've recently upgraded their
servers. For a completely free service, it is fantastic, so long as you
don't mind email only support. Any issues I've ever had (been with them
a year) have been dealt with swiftly. The same goes for voip.co.uk.
Call quality on both is great.

Sipgate has the edge if you're wanting to make free voip-voip calls.

If you want to pay for service, you can't go far wrong with gradwell.

Old May 1st 06, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Sipgate will provide a free inbound UK geographic number, without any
requirement to credit your account. voip.co.uk require a 10 top-up and
will also provide a UK number.

Sipgate have had issues, however, they've recently upgraded their servers.
For a completely free service, it is fantastic, so long as you don't mind
email only support. Any issues I've ever had (been with them a year) have
been dealt with swiftly. The same goes for voip.co.uk. Call quality on
both is great

Yes, I have noticed a vast improvement in Sipgate recently

although I only use them for incoming calls as I prefer not to pay for UK
calls by the

minute.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 2nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Graham" wrote in message

Sipgate will provide a free inbound UK geographic
number, without any requirement to credit your account.
voip.co.uk require a 10 top-up and will also provide a
UK number. Sipgate have had issues, however, they've recently
upgraded their servers. For a completely free service,
it is fantastic, so long as you don't mind email only
support. Any issues I've ever had (been with them a
year) have been dealt with swiftly. The same goes for
voip.co.uk. Call quality on both is great

Yes, I have noticed a vast improvement in Sipgate recently
although I only use them for incoming calls as I prefer
not to pay for UK calls by the minute.

This isn't really an issue with me, as the vast majority of my calls are
to other VoIP users. Mainly Sipgate, but some on Gradwell and the odd FWD
call. I make so few calls to the PSTN that it isn't really a problem. I
think in the 18 months I've been on Sipgate I've spent a total of approx.
8 on PSTN calls, and that's spread over 3 numbers.

The improvement in Sipgate is probably due to the recent server upgrades.
In the couple of weeks since this, I haven't had a single registration
error or call setup problem. Before that I was getting dozens of
registration errors per day.

Ivor