Connecting 2 computers to wireless broadband...

Old May 1st 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen

Default Connecting 2 computers to wireless broadband...

I want to go wireless on broadband. One scenario is that I will be on my
desktop, daughter will be on laptop, both of us wanting to be on the
internet at the same time. Is there something I need to make sure of before
I buy a router? Does it matter how many computers are connected to the
internet at the same time?

Post replies here, thanks.

Old May 1st 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 1 May 2006 20:39:38 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Stephen"
wrote:

I want to go wireless on broadband. One scenario is that I will be on my
desktop, daughter will be on laptop, both of us wanting to be on the
internet at the same time. Is there something I need to make sure of before
I buy a router?

You need to ensure that it has the right sort of connection for
attaching to your modem (you don't say whether you're on cable or
adsl, the connections are totally different) and that both your PCs
can support wireless. Desktops are often trickier than laptops.

You will also need at least one of the two computers to be capable of
being connected nonwirelessly, ie via standard ethernet cable.
Otherwise you won't be able to configure the router properly, and if
it goes wrong you won't be able to fix it. You only need this wired
connection occasionally, but you absolutely do need it.

Does it matter how many computers are connected to the
internet at the same time?

Most retail routers can handle up to 253 simultaneous. If you hit that
number, you have larger problems... :-)
--
Mark McIntyre
Old May 1st 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Stephen" wrote in message
I want to go wireless on broadband. One scenario is that I will be on my
desktop, daughter will be on laptop, both of us wanting to be on the
internet at the same time. Is there something I need to make sure of
before
I buy a router? Does it matter how many computers are connected to the
internet at the same time?

Post replies here, thanks.

the fact your posting from a demon account, I assume your already on adsl
broadband (bt based) rather than cable based..

what broadband modem do you currently have: is it a usb modem (assumed) or
do you have a modem with an ethernet port on it...

if its a usb modem then you should ideally look for a combined modem \router
along with wireless capabilities to allow the laptop to be used to its
potential!! ( i.e. free from wires ;-) )...

If you already have an ethernet modem then you just need a router (again
with wireless capabilities) that can then just connect to the existing
modem...

Does your daughters laptop have wireless card built in, most recent machines
should have this as standard.. if not then youll need a laptop wireless card
(unless you want to stick to using an ethernet cable)...

I personally use the linksys wag354g modem \ router (wireless included) from
pcword, cost £45 and even included a free wireless pcmcia (laptop) card..
think thats there standard price now for the package... quite simple to
connect, strongly suggest setting up wireless security so no one can 'hop
on' your connection!

Hope this helps...

Stuart

Old May 2nd 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Mark McIntyre wrote:

You will also need at least one of the two computers to be capable of
being connected nonwirelessly, ie via standard ethernet cable.
Otherwise you won't be able to configure the router properly, and if
it goes wrong you won't be able to fix it. You only need this wired
connection occasionally, but you absolutely do need it.

Desirable yes but I'm not sure about *absolutely* need it. All routers I've
come across don't have any wireless security set up as standard so you can
access them wirelessly and set the security up that way.

If something does go wrong and you find yourself locked out, you can always
do a hard reset to get yourself back to square one.

Tim

Old May 2nd 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Tim Downie wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote:

You will also need at least one of the two computers to be capable of
being connected nonwirelessly, ie via standard ethernet cable.
Otherwise you won't be able to configure the router properly, and if
it goes wrong you won't be able to fix it. You only need this wired
connection occasionally, but you absolutely do need it.

Desirable yes but I'm not sure about *absolutely* need it. All
routers I've come across don't have any wireless security set up as
standard so you can access them wirelessly and set the security up
that way.
If something does go wrong and you find yourself locked out, you can
always do a hard reset to get yourself back to square one.

Tim

True - but it's a right pain! I would endorse the advice *always* to use a
wired connection when configuring a wireless router - preferably with
*another* computer connected wirelessly at the same time, so that you can
easily test each configuration change to the wireless setup.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 2nd 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Tim Downie" wrote in
message
Mark McIntyre wrote:

You will also need at least one of the two computers to
be capable of being connected nonwirelessly, ie via
standard ethernet cable. Otherwise you won't be able to
configure the router properly, and if it goes wrong you
won't be able to fix it. You only need this wired
connection occasionally, but you absolutely do need it.

Desirable yes but I'm not sure about *absolutely* need
it. All routers I've come across don't have any wireless
security set up as standard so you can access them
wirelessly and set the security up that way.

Those from www.avm.de/en are factory-supplied with security enabled. As
they all should be really, but there you go. It's still a *very* good idea
though to have a cabled connection. Personally, although I have a wireless
access point for my laptop, I only use it when I am beyond the range of
the cable.

If something does go wrong and you find yourself locked
out, you can always do a hard reset to get yourself back
to square one.

A bit overkill though when plugging in a cable will do it..!

Ivor

Old May 2nd 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

How important is security.

I've got a wireless connection to my PC.

I often turn off the PC when I'm not at home, thinking it increases
security, but does it.

I have AVG antivitus and various Microsoft software Firewall etc.

Thanks

Old May 2nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote in

If something does go wrong and you find yourself locked
out, you can always do a hard reset to get yourself back
to square one.

A bit overkill though when plugging in a cable will do it..!

True. I was just making the point that it's not absolutely necessary which
is wrong. I set up my mother's new router wirelessly without any trouble at
all.

Tim

Old May 2nd 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Zaaza wrote in message

How important is security.

Very. Unless you mind someone else finding out personal data about you.
Pretty well everybody with a computer will have personal details about
them on it somewhere.

I've got a wireless connection to my PC.

So have I, but only on my laptop and the access point is only switched on
when I need it. When I am in the same room as the router I plug a cable
in.

I often turn off the PC when I'm not at home, thinking it
increases security, but does it.

Well yes, if the computer is off, that's the best security of all..!
Although it won't stop anyone accessing your wireless network.

I have AVG antivitus and various Microsoft software
Firewall etc.

Ok. Your choice, I wouldn't use Microsoft's firewall but then again I like
Norton so that puts me in my place with a lot of people here ;-)

Ivor

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old May 2nd 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Zaaza Zaaza wrote:

How important is security.

I've got a wireless connection to my PC.

I often turn off the PC when I'm not at home, thinking it increases
security, but does it.

I have AVG antivitus and various Microsoft software Firewall etc.

Thanks

No-one will be able to access any information on the PC while it is turned
off.

But if you leave an unsecured wireless router turned on, passers by can
probably hack into your internet connection. And when the PC is on, they'll
be able to see files on your hard disk.

At very least, you should use WPA encryption with a long pass-phrase. I also
recommend using MAC address filtering and turning off SSID broadcasting -
but not everyone agrees about the value, or even desirability, of these.
--
Cheers,
Roger