UK Shell Provider

Old May 2nd 06, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default UK Shell Provider

Hi, I have juset setup a FREE Linux Shell Provider, based in Birmingham
UK, called Templar Shells UK. You can reach the website at
http://templarshells.mine.nu Services include access to linux programs,
telnet, ssh, nslookup, nmap etc. I also provide bespoke software
development services in Perl. Thanks, Martin Sanders (System
Administrator).

Old May 3rd 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Jones

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi, I have juset setup a FREE Linux Shell Provider, based in Birmingham
UK, called Templar Shells UK. You can reach the website at
http://templarshells.mine.nu Services include access to linux programs,
telnet, ssh, nslookup, nmap etc. I also provide bespoke software
development services in Perl. Thanks, Martin Sanders (System
Administrator).

I am really trying not to be completely negative ...

I strongly believe that it does no harm at all for people to learn
about shell (i.e. command line) access to systems, because it gives
them some insight into how things really work.

However, I do think the word FREE is a little out of place in the text,
because when you get to the site you will see:

"Access to the Templar Server is via Ssh (Secure Shell). Ssh is a
connectivity tool which encrypts all traffic sent over a TCP/IP
network. For those of you using Windows, you can download an Ssh client
called Putty at www.putty.nl.

PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION - PAYPAL BEING SETUP. PLEASE RETURN IN 24
HOURS."

The first part is good - providing a reasonably secure mode of access.
The second part in capitals is rather incompatible with the word FREE
in the blurb.

I also noticed that the site says:

"The Templar Server runs on the Linux Operating System, providing high
speed Broadband Shell Accounts."

I hope the broadband supplier is happy (in their T & C's) about the
provsion of what appears to be a commercial service over what seems
from material on the site to be a domestic connection.

Bob Jones

--
Robert S. Jones, I.T. Security Consultant | Vox +44 20 7882 5326
Computing Services, Mile End Campus | Fax +44 20 8980 2001