Connect a PC and Laptop

Old May 3rd 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Craig Davies

Default Connect a PC and Laptop

I wish to connect a PC and Laptop together to get some files from the PC to
put on Laptop, I want the easiest option, I dont care how slow it takes. I
have heard of DCC using Serial or Parallel cable.

PC: Windows XP Home Edition

Laptop: Windows XP Professional

PC does not have a NIC

Old May 3rd 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Craig Davies says...
I wish to connect a PC and Laptop together to get some files from the PC to
put on Laptop, I want the easiest option, I dont care how slow it takes. I
have heard of DCC using Serial or Parallel cable.

PC: Windows XP Home Edition

Laptop: Windows XP Professional

PC does not have a NIC

Lets put it this way...you WILL care about it using serial or parallel
cable DCC. When you've sat there for half an hour waiting for that 1MB
file you'll realise why you do it properly.

Get yourself a dirt cheap network card for the PC and a crossover
cable. Pop the card in the PC and 99% of the time it'll be autodetected
- you'll not need to do anything. Run Network setup on the PC and
select the appropriate option.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old May 3rd 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 3 May 2006 09:09:05 +0100, "Craig Davies"
wrote:

I wish to connect a PC and Laptop together to get some files from the PC to
put on Laptop, I want the easiest option, I dont care how slow it takes. I
have heard of DCC using Serial or Parallel cable.

PC: Windows XP Home Edition

Laptop: Windows XP Professional

PC does not have a NIC

Got USB on both machines? Simplest way is to buy a USB flash memory
stick - you won't even have to install drivers for XP.
You can get a cheap stick for around a tenner.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old May 3rd 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Craig Davies

Get yourself a dirt cheap network card for the PC and a crossover cable.

The crossover cable you mean a CAT 5 UTP?

Old May 3rd 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nut

Craig Davies wrote:
Get yourself a dirt cheap network card for the PC and a crossover
cable.

The crossover cable you mean a CAT 5 UTP?

CAT5 is the cable you require, but there's two ways of wiring the
plugs..."Straight" and "Crossover".

A straight wired cat5 cable isn't suitable, you must ensure it's a crossover
cat5.

Just ask in the computer/office supplies shop - they should understand
immediately.

Here's an example network card for 3ukp BIN
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-pro-100-...temZ9720305694

Here's an example cable for 2.50ukp BIN
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crossover-Cat5...temZ9719671355

Old May 3rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
StsAlive

"Ackny" wrote in message
.. .
Stephen Howard wrote in
:

Got USB on both machines? Simplest way is to buy a USB flash memory
stick - you won't even have to install drivers for XP. You can get a
cheap stick for around a tenner.

If you want real simplicity you can get USB link cables for 30. Of
course that's dearer than the cheapest wireless routers, but it is very
very simple. I have to confess I've never done, so I don't know what
speeds it gives - presumably USB2 type speeds? I couldn't afford to
spend 30 on a cable but you're likely richer than. Almost everyone I
know is

30...........naaaa 10 off ebay

Old May 4th 06, 01:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Ackny says...
Stephen Howard wrote in
:

Got USB on both machines? Simplest way is to buy a USB flash memory
stick - you won't even have to install drivers for XP. You can get a
cheap stick for around a tenner.

If you want real simplicity you can get USB link cables for 30. Of
course that's dearer than the cheapest wireless routers,

And about 5 times the cost of a PCI NIC and a patch lead.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.