Recommend monthly ISP?

Old May 3rd 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
drjon

Default Recommend monthly ISP?

Can anyone recommend a new ISP? I would like:-

1. A monthly contract
2. Ideally - a free move and no penalties if decide to leave
3. Not bothered about speed though 1Mb would be nice.
4. If a monthly download cap then ideally at least 40G month
5. Would like to be able to use p2p - don't mind off peak
6. Price is a factor.

Old May 3rd 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 3 May 2006, "drjon" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a new ISP? I would like:-

1. A monthly contract

Lots fit that criteria.

2. Ideally - a free move and no penalties if decide to leave

Migration to them will cost them money. Expect to pay from 11+VAT
if you decide to switch straightaway. Might find some without any
fee to pay, but asking you to stay 3 months...

3. Not bothered about speed though 1Mb would be nice.

If you're already on that, then seems far from difficult, but expect
that when switching the accounts available will usually be based on
the newer BT IPstream Max (up to 8000 kbps) product so might get a
faster connection anyway.

4. If a monthly download cap then ideally at least 40G month
5. Would like to be able to use p2p - don't mind off peak
6. Price is a factor.

How much of a factor ? 25 quid ? 30 quid ? 35 quid ?

You will likely find a number around the 25 quid level though whether
they have a 1 month contract and 40+ GB is another matter. At the 30
quid level there's more chance of the traffic allowance, but far less
choice. Why not look at ISPreview.co.uk, especially for resellers of
Entanet which has a 30 GB peak/300 GB off-peak product (at ~20 quid)!

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save cash!!
Old May 3rd 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
drjon

SNIP/SNIP
Thanks for the above response poster and you make good points.

I have looked at the forums but everything is in a state of flux
at the moment with the coming of adsl max. The forums are
in chaos with lots of unhappy people and its difficult to get the
real picture. So I thought it worthwhile posting here.

I was going to go with Eclipse up until a few weeks ago when
they offered
- monthly contract
- free months trial at no cost (now theres confidence for you)
- no blocking of ports or traffic management / FUP
Unfortunately the mad hatter has since been in and changed
their broadband offers which now have no appeal to me.

As for price - its a case of seeing whats on offer and weighing
up the alternatives : normally means take a risk or play safe.

Old May 3rd 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

poster wrote:
On 3 May 2006, "drjon" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a new ISP? I would like:-

1. A monthly contract

Lots fit that criteria.

2. Ideally - a free move and no penalties if decide to leave

Migration to them will cost them money. Expect to pay from 11+VAT
if you decide to switch straightaway. Might find some without any
fee to pay, but asking you to stay 3 months...

Zen offer free migration and monthly contract. Initial contract is for 30
Days.

3. Not bothered about speed though 1Mb would be nice.

If you're already on that, then seems far from difficult, but expect
that when switching the accounts available will usually be based on
the newer BT IPstream Max (up to 8000 kbps) product so might get a
faster connection anyway.

4. If a monthly download cap then ideally at least 40G month
5. Would like to be able to use p2p - don't mind off peak
6. Price is a factor.

How much of a factor ? 25 quid ? 30 quid ? 35 quid ?

You will likely find a number around the 25 quid level though whether
they have a 1 month contract and 40+ GB is another matter. At the 30
quid level there's more chance of the traffic allowance, but far less
choice. Why not look at ISPreview.co.uk, especially for resellers of
Entanet which has a 30 GB peak/300 GB off-peak product (at ~20 quid)!

Zen 8000 Active costs 25 per month and has a 20 GB cap, Zen 8000 Pro costs
35 per month and has a 50 GB cap. In each case additional bandwidth costs
1 per GB. Zen also offer an unlimited 256 Kb account for 18 per month.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old May 3rd 06, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
drjon

Old Codger wrote:
Zen offer free migration and monthly contract. Initial contract is for 30
Days.

SNIP/SNIP
Zen 8000 Active costs 25 per month and has a 20 GB cap, Zen 8000 Pro costs
35 per month and has a 50 GB cap. In each case additional bandwidth costs
1 per GB. Zen also offer an unlimited 256 Kb account for 18 per month.

Thanks Old Codger and yes theres no doubt about it, if money is not key
then Zen are the best. Unfortunately I've dependents and other demands
on my income so I'm looking for something that comes under Zen's 35
per month with a 50 GB cap. (If I went with 25 per month with 20GB
cap and used 40GB then the cost is 45... ouch.)

Old May 3rd 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 3 May 2006 08:37:02 UTC, "drjon" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a new ISP? I would like:-

1. A monthly contract
2. Ideally - a free move and no penalties if decide to leave
3. Not bothered about speed though 1Mb would be nice.
4. If a monthly download cap then ideally at least 40G month
5. Would like to be able to use p2p - don't mind off peak
6. Price is a factor.

Look at AAISP. 18.99 a month with a 1GB cap; but the cap is only office
hours on weekdays. Also only applies to downstream. Everything else is
unlimited. This relies heavily on your point 5, but worth a thought...

You have to pay a setup charge though. This is usual if you want a
monthly contract.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 3rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 3 May 2006 04:20:17 -0700, "drjon" wrote:

Unfortunately the mad hatter has since been in and changed
their broadband offers which now have no appeal to me.

bBeing curious - what changes did they make which leave their
products having no appeal (and what was the pre-DSL Max state
'cos knowing what would have suited would clarify why something
is no longer attractive, IYSWIM :-) Just me wondering! Peter M.
Old May 3rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message .com,
drjon wrote

Old Codger wrote:
Zen offer free migration and monthly contract. Initial contract is for 30
Days.

SNIP/SNIP
Zen 8000 Active costs 25 per month and has a 20 GB cap, Zen 8000 Pro costs
35 per month and has a 50 GB cap. In each case additional bandwidth costs
1 per GB. Zen also offer an unlimited 256 Kb account for 18 per month.

Thanks Old Codger and yes theres no doubt about it, if money is not key
then Zen are the best. Unfortunately I've dependents and other demands
on my income so I'm looking for something that comes under Zen's 35
per month with a 50 GB cap. (If I went with 25 per month with 20GB
cap and used 40GB then the cost is 45... ouch.)

Try freedom 2 surf

Free migration, the 25 package has a 50G cap but all packages are
unmetered between 1am and 6 am, monthly contract, no blocked ports,
static IP.

http://www.f2s.net/
http://www.f2s.net/adsl/migration.php?is=switch
http://www.f2s.net/adsl/homeuser.php?is=stressed

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old May 4th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

drjon wrote:
Old Codger wrote:
Zen offer free migration and monthly contract. Initial contract is
for 30 Days.

SNIP/SNIP
Zen 8000 Active costs 25 per month and has a 20 GB cap, Zen 8000
Pro costs 35 per month and has a 50 GB cap. In each case
additional bandwidth costs 1 per GB. Zen also offer an unlimited
256 Kb account for 18 per month.

Thanks Old Codger and yes theres no doubt about it, if money is not
key then Zen are the best. Unfortunately I've dependents and other
demands on my income so I'm looking for something that comes under
Zen's 35 per month with a 50 GB cap. (If I went with 25 per month
with 20GB cap and used 40GB then the cost is 45... ouch.)

Nildram have a 50G cap, but any unused monthly allowance can be carried over
to the next. I think they're about 25.99/month, free migration.

Old May 4th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tema

We can provide a service that matches your requirements.

ADSL Basic 1Mb
Unlimited usage + Static IP
3 month min contract with 1 month notice
No penalties if you decide to leave
22+vat per month

--
Tema Hassan