A good software firewall for 98SE ?

Old May 3rd 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default A good software firewall for 98SE ?

Alex. wrote:

Hi, I'm running Zone Alarm at home (until I get a router), and I'm
basically running exactly the same setup on my Fathers PC. 98SE
Pentium 3 450, 256Mb of RAM. It crashes too often, which we have put
this down to Zone Alarm not being too hot on a 98SE system.

Can somebody recommend a good software alternative I can suggest he
use until I have time to sort him an Ethernet card, and a router?

Thanks, Alex.

I've not used ZA on 98SE - but I currently have it running on vanilla 98
systems and on XP, with no problems. Maybe your problem *isn't* ZA?

What makes you think that you won't need a software firewall once you've got
a router? They do different jobs, and *both* are necessary!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 3rd 06, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

poster wrote:

On 3 May 2006, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Alex. wrote:

Can somebody recommend a good software alternative I can suggest he
use until I have time to sort him an Ethernet card, and a router?

What makes you think that you won't need a software firewall once
you've got a router? They do different jobs, and *both* are
necessary!

Don't think there was any implication of not needing a software
firewall, just wanting an alternative to ZA for use now, since a PC
with software that might crash while doing that task would make the
PC vulnerable.

So what do you suppose the word "until" means in the original question?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 3rd 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Wed, 3 May 2006 15:29:11 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Alex. wrote:

Can somebody recommend a good software alternative I can suggest he
use until I have time to sort him an Ethernet card, and a router?

What makes you think that you won't need a software firewall once
you've got a router? They do different jobs, and *both* are
necessary!

Don't think there was any implication of not needing a software
firewall, just wanting an alternative to ZA for use now, since a PC
with software that might crash while doing that task would make the
PC vulnerable.

So what do you suppose the word "until" means in the original question?

That with Zone Alarm unreliable, he needs some alternative software for
use *until* an ethernet card can be installed and a router put in place.

Gives him peace of mind the PC (with presumably a USB modem) is not put
into the vulnerable situation of being online and having limited f/w or
even worse, no f/w at all, to protect it.

It might be a 600 mile round trip to visit, for all we know. That may
be a good enough reason for it not to be an "I'll pop over tonight and
put in the card/router" type solution, esp if he doesn't have a spare
router on the shelf to take, or doesn't want to pay PC World prices!
Old May 3rd 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

poster wrote:

So what do you suppose the word "until" means in the original
question?

That with Zone Alarm unreliable, he needs some alternative software for
use *until* an ethernet card can be installed and a router put in place.

.. . implying that it would no longer be needed once the router was in place.

That was my interpretation, anyway! Even if I'm wrong in this particular
case (which I doubt!) it does no harm to remind the world at large of the
need for a software firewall to stop rougue applications from 'calling home'
*in addition* to the external attack protection afforded by a router's
firewall.
--
Cheers,
Roger