A good software firewall for 98SE ?

Old May 3rd 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default A good software firewall for 98SE ?

Alex. wrote:
Hi, I'm running Zone Alarm at home (until I get a router), and I'm
basically running exactly the same setup on my Fathers PC. 98SE
Pentium 3 450, 256Mb of RAM. It crashes too often, which we have put
this down to Zone Alarm not being too hot on a 98SE system.

Can somebody recommend a good software alternative I can suggest he
use until I have time to sort him an Ethernet card, and a router?

Two free alternatives I can think of - Kerio personal firewall and Sygate
personal firewall.

Old May 3rd 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Wed, 3 May 2006 11:47:22 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

Alex. wrote:
Hi, I'm running Zone Alarm at home (until I get a router), and I'm
basically running exactly the same setup on my Fathers PC. 98SE
Pentium 3 450, 256Mb of RAM. It crashes too often, which we have put
this down to Zone Alarm not being too hot on a 98SE system.

Can somebody recommend a good software alternative I can suggest he
use until I have time to sort him an Ethernet card, and a router?

Two free alternatives I can think of - Kerio personal firewall and Sygate
personal firewall.

Seconded re Sygate but unfortunately now part of Symantec and from
their website

"Important Notice: Effective November 30th, 2005 all Sygate personal
firewall products will be discontinued. This does not affect Sygate's
Enterprise firewall and endpoint compliance products, which will still
be updated and supported."

--
AnthonyL
Old May 3rd 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

Alex. wrote:
Hi, I'm running Zone Alarm at home (until I get a router), and I'm
basically running exactly the same setup on my Fathers PC. 98SE
Pentium 3 450, 256Mb of RAM. It crashes too often, which we have put
this down to Zone Alarm not being too hot on a 98SE system.

Can somebody recommend a good software alternative I can suggest he
use until I have time to sort him an Ethernet card, and a router?

Two free alternatives I can think of - Kerio personal firewall and
Sygate personal firewall.

Seconded re Sygate but unfortunately now part of Symantec and from
their website

"Important Notice: Effective November 30th, 2005 all Sygate personal
firewall products will be discontinued. This does not affect Sygate's
Enterprise firewall and endpoint compliance products, which will still
be updated and supported."

Damn I didn't know that.

Old May 3rd 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 3 May 2006, "Beck" wrote:

Two free alternatives I can think of - Kerio personal firewall and
Sygate personal firewall.

[ re sygate ]

Damn I didn't know that.

and, FWIW, Kerio is no longer responsible for the freebie firewall that
they had been offering (v3 or v4 perhaps) for the last few months...
Link from Kerio goes to http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall Version: 4.2.3.912

(which was why I mentioned the much older one v2.1.15 - small enough
to go on a 1.44 MB floppy :-)
Old May 5th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , AnthonyL
writes
"Important Notice: Effective November 30th, 2005 all Sygate personal
firewall products will be discontinued. This does not affect Sygate's
Enterprise firewall and endpoint compliance products, which will still
be updated and supported."

Merde! Another good product to go through the money making bloat
process.
--
Pete Devlin
"And don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent"