1mb DSL [up]/degraded to 256k maxdsl, ISP not helpful

Old May 3rd 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

Default 1mb DSL [up]/degraded to 256k maxdsl, ISP not helpful

Hi all,

Having 'upgraded' from the 1mb (maximum I could get at the time) to the
maxdsl/dslmax (whatever) product, I can now only get 256k and my ISP
has given up getting me any faster connection.

I'm after troubleshooting tips that anyone else has on this product so
I can try and get my theoretical 3mb (that is what BT reckon I should
get).

Some background for anyone interested;
ISP is Eclipse, normally excellent. I upgraded from their 1mb
connection to a max connection and my router syncs at just under 3mb
after a reboot. It then goes down after a while to 512k and my service
provider reports it as 256k!

I had to let the line settle/train for a period of over ten days and it
is still doing the same thing. Now my ISP says that they cannot
'downgrade' me back to 1mb. I've checked the internal wiring out to no
avail. BT will not investigate as they state that their service levels
are 256k-8mb. HELP!

Router details;
Mode: G.DMT
State: SHOWTIME
Up Speed: 448000
Down Speed: 544000 (ISP reports 256k though)
SNR Margin: 16.0 (on reboot goes to the expected 6db)
Loop Att.: 50.5

Once again, HELP! I'm paying more for less!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Old May 3rd 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article .com, Ryan
says...
[...]

give it a week or two, the Max product is a train wreck at the moment
due to BT's implementation of it. Too many people are finding it causes
them problems.

You need to wait a couple of weeks to let it settle down and for
BT/Eclipse to do their fixes. Your exchange may also be suffering
contention as all other ISPs being their uprated customers online using
the same fiber, and that won't be fixed fast.

FR
Old May 3rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On 3 May 2006, Ryan wrote:

Having 'upgraded' from the 1mb (maximum I could get at the time) to the
maxdsl/dslmax (whatever) product, I can now only get 256k and my ISP
has given up getting me any faster connection.

Have you tried the BT speed test? If the problem is based at your local
exchange it will report similarly low speeds. If it reports significantly
higher speeds that would indicate the problem is something that should be
under the control of your ISP.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just 14.98

Old May 3rd 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

Thanks Jason, not seen that BT speed test before. Just tried it and got
a useless '231 kilo bits per second (Kbps),'.

Wow, what a product! Less (speed) literally is more (). Never mind,
feel the quality!

I've got some RJ-11 shielded cabling on the way as well so that may
make a little difference although I doubt it. I'll wait a few weeks as
well, the ISP was under a very heavy call load and I think that the new
max products were to blame as Flying Rat said.

Old May 3rd 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Ryan wrote on Wed, 3 May 2006 at 06:10:57:
I've checked the internal wiring out to no avail.

Have you experimented with the standard test of disconnecting the NTE5
faceplate and plugging the router directly into the test socket that is
exposed at the back of the NTE5? See e.g.
http://www.broadbandzone.co.uk/shop/self_install.htm. That guarantees
that the internal wiring is disconnected, so no additional noise,
attenuation or distortion is affecting your ADSL speed.
--
Tony
Old May 3rd 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Ryan wrote:
[...]

Hi there,

The problem is likely to be with BT's BRAS profiling which governs what
throughput is achieved on your line.

I am seeing increasing issues like this. AIUI BT will alter your
throughput dynamically - this is dependent on your sync rate. Downgrades
can happen pretty quickly (within about 75 minutes I think) should
your line resync at a low speed. Upgrades however will be based on stats
taken from your line over a three day period.

Are you saying your router syncs at 512kbps occasionally? If so I'm
guessing this is stopping your BRAS profile from being upped. If you do
a few disconnects and reconnects over a 3 day period and always sync at
the higher speeds then your throughput should go up too.

Your ISP will be displaying figures from BT's Line Speed Delta reports
that are directly related to the changes in the BRAS profiling.

Regards,

Old May 4th 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

I've got my new faceplate and twisted pair RJ-11 today, but no
difference there either. That proves to me it is not wiring because it
is coming straight off the faceplate. I'll do a test for completeness
with the faceplate off later as well.

My router does sync at 512 a lot after initially starting out high,
I've got 3008000 showing now, but still the rubbish throughput. I'll
check it as much as possible, possibly even write something to query my
router and reboot it when then down speed changes so that it goes high
again.

Thanks everyone, looks like BT will have to sort themselves out.

Ryan