(capped) maxdsl

Old May 3rd 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nick

Default (capped) maxdsl

how long till BT wake up and uncap it? got 2meg masquerading as 8meg atm.
8128 down (anyone get 8192? does it exist??) 448 up

Old May 3rd 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"nick" wrote in message
how long till BT wake up and uncap it? got 2meg masquerading as 8meg atm.
8128 down (anyone get 8192? does it exist??) 448 up

its likely that your connection is still training, i.e. the first ten days
after upgrading when system is working out your best speed to synch at 8mb
is an 'adaptive' service, based on distance to exchange... after the ten
days or so.... your systems 'preferred speed' should then become
available....

Old May 4th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

"Stu C" wrote in message

"nick" wrote in message
how long till BT wake up and uncap it? got 2meg masquerading as 8meg atm.
8128 down (anyone get 8192? does it exist??) 448 up

With BT MAX the maximum sync rate is 8128. I don't know why they chose this
as the maximum sync rate as the maximum for ADSL and what the LLU providers
use is 8192. Though the difference is so small I'm sure it doens't matter
anyway.

When I got upgraded to MAX it was capped at 2Mb for the first three days
then afterwards slowly started creeping up. However I've yet to see the full
7Mb an 8128 sync is meant to be capable off.

Dan

Old May 4th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"nick" wrote in message
how long till BT wake up and uncap it? got 2meg masquerading as 8meg atm.
8128 down (anyone get 8192? does it exist??) 448 up

8128 down !!!

Do you live IN the exchange ?!

I got around 45xx down to start with (around 3.5km from the exchange) and
thats now down to around 37xx after the 10-12 day period. In that time and
even now I'm still only getting speeds just over a 2mb connection. So I'm
not moaning but its still never going to seem as fast as the downstream rate
suggests it should be IMO.

Andy

Old May 4th 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Wed, 3 May 2006, nick wrote:

how long till BT wake up and uncap it? got 2meg masquerading as 8meg atm.
8128 down (anyone get 8192? does it exist??) 448 up

Nobody get's 8192 as the max is 8128 - it's ATM line speed not your actual
maximum TCPIP connection speed which is lower at around 7150 kb/s.

Before your line will actually be able to use it's maximum speed the BT
RADIUS profile will need to be changed as this includes a line speed cap
defaulting to 2Mb. BT have an automated process in place for this however
it's generally not working well. It should change the profile in 75
minutes however for many it's taking 3 days or more.

Many of our customers have found that disconnecting for at least 30
minutes forces the issue. The key is that the BT systems have to recognise
a new sync event at a different speed from the last recorded one.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just 14.98

Old May 4th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Dan wrote:

With BT MAX the maximum sync rate is 8128. I don't know why they chose this
as the maximum sync rate as the maximum for ADSL and what the LLU providers
use is 8192. Though the difference is so small I'm sure it doens't matter
anyway.

When I got upgraded to MAX it was capped at 2Mb for the first three days
then afterwards slowly started creeping up. However I've yet to see the full
7Mb an 8128 sync is meant to be capable off.

Have you tried the BT wholesale speed test? If that indicates similar
speeds to those you are seeing it indicates there is a contention issue at
your exchange.

In fairness you do need to remember that ADSL has always been a contended
service even if you never experienced the contention before. With an
almost 4 fold increase in maximum speeds it is inevitable that there will
be some contention issues - at least in the short term as everyone tries
to see how fast their line will go before reverting to normal usage.

Jason Clifford

Old May 4th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Jason Clifford wrote:

In fairness you do need to remember that ADSL has always been a
contended service even if you never experienced the contention
before. With an almost 4 fold increase in maximum speeds it is
inevitable that there will be some contention issues -

That's all perfectly logical, yes. But if it was purely a contention
issue, then I guess that a series of measurements would give a wide
scattering of different values, no?

My ADSL line speed (as shown by the router) is up in the 6-thousands,
and BT's reported "stable rate" is normally 6000, or sometimes 5500.

In fact, when I run the speed (throughput) tests I occasionally get
values anywhere between 800k and 2000k. But, at relatively quiet
times, I keep getting values closely clustered around 2100k-2300k.

This leads me to surmise that there's some kind of upper limit or
bottleneck in action, well short of the actual line speed, rather than
encountering mere contention (which would explain those occasional ~
800k values).

As it happens, this is on plusnet, but by also using BT's own speed
checker, which returns comparable figures, I reckon it's not plusnet's
"fault".

I'm not making a fuss about this in practical terms, as the speed I'm
getting is fine for what I need. But from a technical point of view
I'm still interested in knowing just how this limit is coming about.

cheers
Old May 4th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Dan" wrote in message

"Stu C" wrote in message

"nick" wrote in message
how long till BT wake up and uncap it? got 2meg masquerading as 8meg
atm.
8128 down (anyone get 8192? does it exist??) 448 up

With BT MAX the maximum sync rate is 8128. I don't know why they chose
this as the maximum sync rate as the maximum for ADSL and what the LLU
providers use is 8192. Though the difference is so small I'm sure it
doens't matter anyway.

the difference is classed as 'overheads'...