ADSL Account Location

Old May 4th 06, 06:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dudicous

Default ADSL Account Location

Are ADSL accounts with the same ISP specific to a particular telephone
line or can anyone on that ISP use anyone elses telephone line who are
already registered with the same ISP?

I want to set up my father-in-laws router at my house and then send it
to him so he can plug-and-play with no further setup needed. We are
both with the same ISP.

Er, think I got my what I was trying to say across.

Old May 4th 06, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"dudicous" wrote in message
oups.com
Are ADSL accounts with the same ISP specific to a
particular telephone line or can anyone on that ISP use
anyone elses telephone line who are already registered
with the same ISP?

I want to set up my father-in-laws router at my house and
then send it to him so he can plug-and-play with no
further setup needed. We are both with the same ISP.

Er, think I got my what I was trying to say across.

The account is tied to the phone number it was set up on. There have been
reports of an account working with another ADSL-equipped line but it isn't
guaranteed and certainly won't be supported if you have problems.

Ivor

Old May 4th 06, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Specific to line.

--
Peter Crosland

Old May 4th 06, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"dudicous" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are ADSL accounts with the same ISP specific to a particular telephone
line or can anyone on that ISP use anyone elses telephone line who are
already registered with the same ISP?

I want to set up my father-in-laws router at my house and then send it
to him so he can plug-and-play with no further setup needed. We are
both with the same ISP.

Er, think I got my what I was trying to say across.

Well, so far you have two responses saying that the account is tied to
the line.

Far be it from me to disagree with people who seemed 100% certain, but
we always set up routers for our clients on our own ADSL lines. As long
as the line is with the same ISP and the same realm(s) are enabled on
each line it works fine.

Old May 4th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

Alastair wrote:

Well, so far you have two responses saying that the account is tied to
the line.

And now two with disagree with that!

Far be it from me to disagree with people who seemed 100% certain, but
we always set up routers for our clients on our own ADSL lines. As long
as the line is with the same ISP and the same realm(s) are enabled on
each line it works fine.

It seems to be the case with us (using AAISP) that we can use an AAISP
broadband enabled line and use any of the login/password combinations we
have been offered. We do it this way to pre-configure and test routers
before shipping.
Old May 4th 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Colin Forrester wrote:

It seems to be the case with us (using AAISP) that we can use an AAISP
broadband enabled line and use any of the login/password combinations we
have been offered. We do it this way to pre-configure and test routers
before shipping.

the key is that the bit after the @ symbol in the username needs to be
the same ie the same "realm".

If you watch the CHAP log a BT gateway challenges first, then passes
the login to an ISP gateway for full authentication.

To the OP the only thing that changes is the username and password, so
even if you're on different ISPs then check it works with the
[email protected]_domain login and then *carefully* enter the real
username and password, save and reboot to make sure it sticks.

Phil

Old May 4th 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Thu, 4 May 2006 08:02:15 +0100, [Alastair] said :-

"dudicous" wrote in message
roups.com...
Are ADSL accounts with the same ISP specific to a particular telephone
line or can anyone on that ISP use anyone elses telephone line who are
already registered with the same ISP?

I want to set up my father-in-laws router at my house and then send it
to him so he can plug-and-play with no further setup needed. We are
both with the same ISP.

Er, think I got my what I was trying to say across.

Well, so far you have two responses saying that the account is tied to
the line.

Far be it from me to disagree with people who seemed 100% certain, but
we always set up routers for our clients on our own ADSL lines. As long
as the line is with the same ISP and the same realm(s) are enabled on
each line it works fine.

The account _is_ tied to the line - why do you think it is not ?

To connect, however, a user has to tell their router/modem a relevant
userID which is tied in with their ISP, rather than a specific name.

So, to Paul - you need to mention which ISP you are with, and your
father-in-law. Your posting info implies Eclipse, but this depends how
and where you are sending the post.
Old May 4th 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

Spin Dryer wrote:

Are ADSL accounts with the same ISP specific to a particular telephone
line or can anyone on that ISP use anyone elses telephone line who are
already registered with the same ISP?

The account _is_ tied to the line - why do you think it is not ?

Well perhaps it is just how we define account. Take one account we have
with AAISP - it has over 20 ADSL services on twenty lines. Perhaps that
is one account tied to 20 lines?
Old May 4th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 3 May 2006, "dudicous" wrote:

I want to set up my father-in-laws router at my house and then send it
to him so he can plug-and-play with no further setup needed. We are
both with the same ISP.

If it has a username/password (rather than no password, as some BT a/c
appear to have), you should be OK. I set up a router for my sister, to
get her online before Christmas. Ended up that I sent her the wrong one
(of two units) and when she plugged in, it was using my a/c details so it
didn't initially work as she was allocated same IP address as me... But
with her own login details, it was fine. As PhilT has indicated, it's
all down to the 'realm' (name after the "@" in the username details)
and so long as they're the same, odds are you'll be able to login.
Old May 4th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Spin Dryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 May 2006 08:02:15 +0100, [Alastair] said :-

"dudicous" wrote in message
groups.com...
Are ADSL accounts with the same ISP specific to a particular telephone
line or can anyone on that ISP use anyone elses telephone line who are
already registered with the same ISP?

I want to set up my father-in-laws router at my house and then send it
to him so he can plug-and-play with no further setup needed. We are
both with the same ISP.

Er, think I got my what I was trying to say across.

Well, so far you have two responses saying that the account is tied to
the line.

Far be it from me to disagree with people who seemed 100% certain, but
we always set up routers for our clients on our own ADSL lines. As long
as the line is with the same ISP and the same realm(s) are enabled on
each line it works fine.

The account _is_ tied to the line - why do you think it is not ?

Because we set up routers for different accounts on our own lines every
week of the year.

Why do you think it _is_ tied to the line?