Best way of Syncronisng Email on two PCs?

Old May 4th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff

Default Best way of Syncronisng Email on two PCs?

I have the requirement of needing to syncronise.... two computers each
holding the same email accounts....

Its a sort of 'home' and 'work' thing so that I can have all the same email
on both systems.

Can anyone give me some idea what I need to be doing to get this working?

Thanks Jeff

Old May 4th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
I have the requirement of needing to syncronise.... two computers each
holding the same email accounts....

Its a sort of 'home' and 'work' thing so that I can have all the same

email
on both systems.

Can anyone give me some idea what I need to be doing to get this working?

Thanks Jeff

Both systems are running XP Pro by the way... Forgot to tell you that....
Jeff

Old May 4th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Jeff says...

"Jeff" wrote in message
I have the requirement of needing to syncronise.... two computers each
holding the same email accounts....

Its a sort of 'home' and 'work' thing so that I can have all the same

email
on both systems.

Can anyone give me some idea what I need to be doing to get this working?

Thanks Jeff

Both systems are running XP Pro by the way... Forgot to tell you that....
Jeff

There is an option for POP3 clients to leave mail on the server when
retrieving messages. Also, if your server supports it, you can use IMAP
instead of POP3.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old May 4th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Goodge

On Thu, 4 May 2006 11:59:35 +0100, Jeff put finger to keyboard and
typed:

I have the requirement of needing to syncronise.... two computers each
holding the same email accounts....

Its a sort of 'home' and 'work' thing so that I can have all the same email
on both systems.

Can anyone give me some idea what I need to be doing to get this working?

The easiest and most reliable solution is to forward the mail to two
separate POP3 accounts and collect one at home and the other at work.
The downside of this is that there's no link between the two accounts,
so you need to set up identical filters on both accounts manually and
deal with spam on both of them as well. There's also no indication on
one account that mail has been replied to on the other. But, other
than the inconvenience of setting it up, there's pretty much nothing
to go wrong and it means you've also got a backup copy of your email
in case you lose one set.

The second option, if you mail provider offers it, is to use IMAP
instead of POP3. This allows you to get at your mail from multiple
locations while still maintaining a single server copy. The downside
is that IMAP is less reliable than POP3, and several popular email
clients have less than perfect implementations of it. And, because
there's a lot more to-and-fro traffic involved in synchronising the
client and server, it doesn't work very well at all over dialup - you
need broadband at home for this option to be practical.

Another option is to use a webmail account and simply read it from
both locations. This is the most flexible solution, especially if you
need to access your email from a variety of places rather than jsut
one or two. But it's only suitable for smallish quantities of email;
and of course you have no local backup.

Mark
--
Visit: http://www.ukcommunityradio.info - Community Radio in the UK
Listen: http://www.goodge.co.uk/files/dweeb.mp3 - you'll love it!
Old May 4th 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Jeff" wrote in message
I have the requirement of needing to syncronise.... two computers each
holding the same email accounts....

Its a sort of 'home' and 'work' thing so that I can have all the same
email
on both systems.

Can anyone give me some idea what I need to be doing to get this working?

Thanks Jeff

Just an idea. If you have VPN facility you might be able to specify a
single common folder to store email for Outlook which can bee seen from more
than one PC at different sites. Mind you probably must only have one copy
of Outlook running at any one time and also, at start-up, before running
Outlook I might backup the whole folder to another "backup" location just in
case.

Old May 4th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Mark Goodge" wrote in message
house.net...

Another option is to use a webmail account and simply read it from
both locations. This is the most flexible solution, especially if you
need to access your email from a variety of places rather than jsut
one or two. But it's only suitable for smallish quantities of email;
and of course you have no local backup.

What's wrong with a POP3 account which also has webmail? It has limits but
you can always send blind copies to yourself so you have a record of what's
sent, on the POP3 server.

Old May 4th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 4 May
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Jeff"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

I have the requirement of needing to syncronise.... two computers each
holding the same email accounts....

Its a sort of 'home' and 'work' thing so that I can have all the same email
on both systems.

Can anyone give me some idea what I need to be doing to get this working?

Get hold of the version of Thunderbird that runs from a USB memory stick and
just use that?

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
"Invisible baa'ing sheep! That's the most ACEBEST thing in any game ever!"
Old May 4th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
text.new.ntlworld

"Mark Goodge" wrote in message
house.net...

Another option is to use a webmail account and simply read it from
both locations. This is the most flexible solution, especially if you
need to access your email from a variety of places rather than jsut
one or two. But it's only suitable for smallish quantities of email;
and of course you have no local backup.

Not so with Gmail (Googlemail). You can have any quantity of e-mails
and you can have POP and forwarding at the same time. So you have
local backup.
You could forward other mail to it, e.g. NTL mail and have
everything available on your computers and anywhere in the world
through your Gmail. I am now deciding which addresses to forward
to Gmail and which to dump because of too much Spam.
roman

Old May 7th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

"Fred" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
I have the requirement of needing to syncronise.... two computers each
holding the same email accounts....

Its a sort of 'home' and 'work' thing so that I can have all the same
email
on both systems.

Can anyone give me some idea what I need to be doing to get this

working?

the difficult bit isnt so much delivering the same email to both, but
keeping 2 copies consistent.

The easiest ways maybe:
to use something that gives you dual mail access to a single copy (see
below about M$oft exchange)
partition the email by filter and send different messages to different
places.

1 thing to think about - what is going to happen when you have to untangle
the 2 email systems? (eg. you change email provider, or employer).

it may be better to get a mail forwarding arrangement in place with lots of
different email addresses - that way you can tag the messages by which
address they are sent to, forward them to different addresses etc.

Thanks Jeff

Just an idea. If you have VPN facility you might be able to specify a
single common folder to store email for Outlook which can bee seen from

more
than one PC at different sites.

If you have an enterprise style exchange setup, then the server acts as the
common point.

Mind you probably must only have one copy
of Outlook running at any one time

AKAIR you can be "logged in" to a common exchange account from 2 or more PCs
at thesame time.

Or use webmail + conventional outlook client.

and also, at start-up, before running
Outlook I might backup the whole folder to another "backup" location just

in
case.

outlook seems to be fairly good at protecting its database structure from
harm - the set of offline folders i use at work has vintage 1998 emails in
them. (touch wood)

But - yes back them up....

--
Regards