Router for multiple IP addresses?

Old May 4th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

Default Router for multiple IP addresses?

I wonder if anyone here can help me!?

We have just got a new broadband connection to run alongside out Demon
connection.
Bothe the connections have a set of static IP addresses, the router for the
demon connection is supplied by Demon (well, actually BT) so this isn't a
problem.

Any idea on a router that will support more then one WAN IP address, will
use one it's self, and pass the others on to LAN users?

Thanks!

Sparks...

Old May 4th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Sparks wrote:
I wonder if anyone here can help me!?

We have just got a new broadband connection to run alongside out Demon
connection.
Bothe the connections have a set of static IP addresses, the router for the
demon connection is supplied by Demon (well, actually BT) so this isn't a
problem.

Any idea on a router that will support more then one WAN IP address, will
use one it's self, and pass the others on to LAN users?

Thanks!

Sparks...

I've used a cheap Conexant-based router (Mercury branding, not like it
matters) and the Belkin-based MicraDigital ADSL+802.11g+4 port switch
router, both of which worked fine.

You just turn off NAT, set the WAN IP address to be the 'router' address
of the subnet (by convention, this is one less than the broadcast IP),
and set up the LAN address to be the same, but with the right subnet
mask (so for a /29, that woudl be 255.255.255.248). If you want to use
the DHCP server, you can - just switch the DHCP address range to the IP
range you've got left; I'm using static addressing at the moment
(although I'm thinking about changing that )

Pretty much any router which lets you turn off NAT will work with a
publicly-routed LAN. I "was" going to get a Draytek myself, but I found
myself in urgent need of a router just before payday. So far, the Micra
Digital has performed well - especially given the 54.99 price point
(you'll find them in Tesco), and it comes with handy features (some of
which I need to learn how to set up!) like QoS and VLANs that I really
didn't expect on what I thought was "just a cheapo router"

HTH...

xF,

....Nick

Old May 4th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

Nicholas Thomas wrote:
Sparks wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, I do have a Netgear DG834GT connected at the moment
(with
the NAT on).
On the WAN side of this router, I can set a static IP address, but
can't set
a subnet mask (unless I set the "Does your connection require a login?"
no (Which I assume I need to leave at Yes, as I do have a username and
password.))

I seem to have a Fixed WAN address from my provider, and a IP range of
x.x.x.x/29 as well (they are not even nearly similar though)
(Am I correct in assuming that 80.1.1.1/29 is the range 80.1.1.1 -
80.1.1.8
?

So, if we had an IP range of, as the example, 80.1.1.1 - 80.1.1.8 do I
set
the routers WAN address to 80.1.1.7 and the same for the LAN address,
then
stuff connected to the LAN side of the router will then be able to have
an
address in the range of 80.1.1.1-80.1.1.6 (setting the subnet mask on
the
LAN side of the router and the connected equipment to 255.255.255.248,
and
setting the default gateway of the connected equipment to 80.1.1.7)

Thanks for your help!

Sparks...

Old May 5th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Sparks wrote:
Nicholas Thomas wrote:

Sparks wrote:

[...]

If your router doesn't let you set the WAN subnet, you should be fine
without it. Normally, you can just leave all that to dynamic allocation,
and it gets it right... the important thing is the LAN setup.

My subnet is x.y.z.240-247 - .240 is the network address, .246 is the
gateway, and .247 is the broadcast. AFAIK, the last byte of the network
address will be a multiple of the total IP addresses you have... so a .1
wouldn't happen IRL (could be wrong, though). Apart from that, you've
got the subnet down pat. It's just used to determine which computers are
'local', and which aren't.

Anyway, you end up with 5 usable IP addresses, whose range you set up in
the DHCP address pool, if you want to use it.

xF,

....Nick