calls to/from Skype and SIP?

Old May 4th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

Default calls to/from Skype and SIP?

ok I know it sounds daft, but I'd like to ask if anyone has experience
of calling from one to the other via their incoming pstn numbers

do the different voice encoding systems clash and badly affect quality,
or is not too much of an issue? - and how about including GSM as well?

thanks in advance to anyone that tries to persuade me of the merits of
one over the other, but this is just about the actual question. I may
even think of double-forwarding through both ...

Old May 5th 06, 02:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"andy" wrote in message
ups.com
ok I know it sounds daft, but I'd like to ask if anyone
has experience of calling from one to the other via their
incoming pstn numbers

do the different voice encoding systems clash and badly
affect quality, or is not too much of an issue? - and how
about including GSM as well?

thanks in advance to anyone that tries to persuade me of
the merits of one over the other, but this is just about
the actual question. I may even think of
double-forwarding through both ...

I've called Sipgate from Skype and it was ok. Can't do it the other way
round as I have no need for an incoming Skype number, they want too much
money for it anyway. I only had the Skype Out credit as it was a free
giveaway of 20p or so (no expense spared, Skype..!) one day.

Ivor

Old May 5th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com
Thanks. I've got the same few pence and tried a couple of
outgoing pstn calls. I have the same dilemma about the
Skype incoming number, which is why I wondered about the
likely quality before sending a few quid each to them and
perhaps one of the Finarea companies. If it's ok it may
save about 6p to 8p per minute on some mobile calls,
unless thay change tariff, so depends how much use I'll
make

I prefer a SIP account and a dedicated device with ordinary phones
connected. That way you don't have to have a PC switched on. It's not so
bad for outgoing calls I suppose but you don't want to be tied to a PC to
receive incoming calls.

Ivor

Old May 5th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

Nor me - rather than sit at the PC, I was looking at call diversion of
the Skype number - while abroad in fact