AAISP?

Old May 4th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Default AAISP?

Right, as you (probably ) know, I'm with Zen (MaxDSL/standard) at the
moment, & very happy with their service. However, I would like to get
the full 832Kbps upload, preferably without doubling my current rental
(which is 34.99)!

Browsing around, I came across AAISP, who seem to be the "kind of" ISP I
would go for. In particular, I'm looking at their "Max 2" and "Max 3"
Premium packages, and considering Max 1 Premium - depending on the
extent to which I can curb my partner's P2P usage (which is the *only*
program using significant bandwidth in the 'peak hours', as far as I can
tell). Prior to doing anything else, I've set my router's QoS to keep
that at 10% of maximum bandwidth, and told my firewall to drop any of
the packets in question at peak hours. Naughty me

First question - the P2P program she uses seems to open ports between
3000 and 5000 for data xfer between nodes. So I've used that complete
range for QoS and firewall rules, and set it to be specific to her IP.
Does anyone know of any standard Windows internet services that are
likely to be crippled by that? Or any other commonly-used (by
non-computer-literate folk ) applications that will almost certainly
throw a wobbler? I appreciate, it's a broad range, and I should probably
go and RFC it, or something, but I thought I'd pick the excellent brains
on here first .

Next, does anyone have any experience with AAISP & their service, etc?
Reading their website, it sounds almost too good to be true... and I'm
well aware of what that often means... specifically, I'm interested in
the level of know-how of the tech guys, the robustness (or lack
thereof!) of their network, amount of faffing about I'm likely to expect
from accounts, etc...

Thirdly, and somewhat more generally, I notice that they've got native
IPv6 connections available, which is something I would really like to
have a play with . The downside, of course, is that I know almost
nothing about IPv6, except that I'd end up with a /48 block (corr!) if I
went for it. So:-

1. I assume it's a dual-stack connection?
2. Currently my router only supports IPv4. Being poor again right now,
I'd probably settle for setting up a PPPoE forward on my current router
to a PC Engines WRAP that I've got, and set it up as an IPv4/IPv6
router. That's all, obviously, "non-trivial", and could take a while for
me to work out. In the meantime, would I still be able to use the IPv4
Internet with just the IPv4 router?
3. Just how easy is IPv6 to set up? This is a mixed Linux/Windows XP
(SP2, I *think*)/Windows 2000 (no idea as to SP) network. Presumably,
each PC would have two addresses for each interface - one ipv6, one
ipv4? So incompatible PC's (like the 2000 one, AFAICT) would just have
the single ipv4, and function perfectly well on the ipv4 backbone?

4. Is there actually any benefit (except for a slightly geeky feeling of
power at having so many IPv6 addresses at one's disposal) to getting
IPv6 at this point in time?

Ta muchly...

xF,

....Nick
Old May 4th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Taylor

On 2006-05-04, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:
[snip]

First question - the P2P program she uses seems to open ports between
3000 and 5000 for data xfer between nodes. So I've used that complete
range for QoS and firewall rules, and set it to be specific to her IP.
Does anyone know of any standard Windows internet services that are
likely to be crippled by that? Or any other commonly-used (by
non-computer-literate folk ) applications that will almost certainly
throw a wobbler? I appreciate, it's a broad range, and I should probably
go and RFC it, or something, but I thought I'd pick the excellent brains
on here first .

I'm not aware of any specific applications, but if you start seeing
weird problems with anything, don't forget about the traffic shaping!

Next, does anyone have any experience with AAISP & their service, etc?
Reading their website, it sounds almost too good to be true... and I'm
well aware of what that often means... specifically, I'm interested in
the level of know-how of the tech guys, the robustness (or lack
thereof!) of their network, amount of faffing about I'm likely to expect
from accounts, etc...

I've been a (very) happy AAISP customer for 2 years now, and I have to
say the service is excellent. Tech support and accounts are great,
you can even talk to them on IRC. There have occasionally been DoS
attacks that have caused short outages (say 10 minutes), but they
are continuing to work to reduce the impact of attacks.

Thirdly, and somewhat more generally, I notice that they've got native
IPv6 connections available, which is something I would really like to
have a play with . The downside, of course, is that I know almost
nothing about IPv6, except that I'd end up with a /48 block (corr!) if I
went for it. So:-

1. I assume it's a dual-stack connection?

Yep, I've got a ipv4 /29 and an ipv6 /64 routed down my line, with
the other 65535 ipv6 /64s available should I need to route them anywhere...

2. Currently my router only supports IPv4. Being poor again right now,
I'd probably settle for setting up a PPPoE forward on my current router
to a PC Engines WRAP that I've got, and set it up as an IPv4/IPv6
router. That's all, obviously, "non-trivial", and could take a while for
me to work out. In the meantime, would I still be able to use the IPv4
Internet with just the IPv4 router?

Yep. You can just use IPv4 as normal and ignore the IPv6, or you
can tunnel the IPv6 over IPv4 to a linux (or whatever) box acting
as an IPv6 router. Or get a linux/other-IPv6-capable router and
get IPv6 and IPv4 over PPP.

3. Just how easy is IPv6 to set up? This is a mixed Linux/Windows XP
(SP2, I *think*)/Windows 2000 (no idea as to SP) network. Presumably,
each PC would have two addresses for each interface - one ipv6, one
ipv4? So incompatible PC's (like the 2000 one, AFAICT) would just have
the single ipv4, and function perfectly well on the ipv4 backbone?

It's reasonably easy, once you know how. There is a bit of a learning
curve, though. But yes, PC's not using IPv6 can keep using IPv4 with
no problems. There is an experimental IPv6 stack for win2k, but I can't
remember if I ever got it fully working before moving on to winXP.

4. Is there actually any benefit (except for a slightly geeky feeling of
power at having so many IPv6 addresses at one's disposal) to getting
IPv6 at this point in time?

As far as I can tell, no. But the geeky feeling of power is quite good

It is handy to learn about IPv6 before it gets wider usage, if it ever does.

--
David Taylor
Old May 4th 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

They seem **very** overpriced unless you are a very, very light user.
[Just looked again, they are overpriced, full stop.]

Look at their Max 50 Premium prices...bloody mad. Can get the same
speeds, 100% unlimited (the Zen definition not Tiscali's) for 75 excl
VAT from at least a couple of ISPs.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old May 4th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Dr Teeth wrote:
They seem **very** overpriced unless you are a very, very light user.
[Just looked again, they are overpriced, full stop.]

Look at their Max 50 Premium prices...bloody mad. Can get the same
speeds, 100% unlimited (the Zen definition not Tiscali's) for 75 excl
VAT from at least a couple of ISPs.

Yep, but 75 + VAT isn't really an option for me. If it was, I'd just
stay with Zen for 79 + VAT.

If you can suggest a decent (support and system-wise) alternative ISP
with a Max Premium product at around 35, I'd be just as happy with that.

Currently, I've got a 50GB allowance with Zen, and the *only* thing that
makes a significant dent during the day is P2P. If I can get daytime
down to 1GB, then I can make myself a saving of 4 with AAISP.

Limits are only relevant if you're likely to hit them . And for the
IPv6 experience, I'm willing to sacrifice my partner's illegal X-files
downloads...

xF,

....Nick
(Although I doubt she is! Good job I'm paying this bill... )
Old May 4th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Nicholas Thomas wrote:
[...]
If you can suggest a decent (support and system-wise) alternative ISP
with a Max Premium product at around 35, I'd be just as happy with that.

[...]

Forgot to say: with an inclusive IPv4 /29 subnet. That requirement
excludes almost all potential alternative ISPs that I can think of...

xF,

....Nick
Old May 4th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Taylor

On 2006-05-04, Dr Teeth wrote:
They seem **very** overpriced unless you are a very, very light user.
[Just looked again, they are overpriced, full stop.]

Look at their Max 50 Premium prices...bloody mad. Can get the same
speeds, 100% unlimited (the Zen definition not Tiscali's) for 75 excl
VAT from at least a couple of ISPs.

Note that the metered usage is only downstream usage monday-friday
8-6. I used about 30GB last month, but only about 3GB metered usage...

--
David Taylor
Old May 4th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 4 May 2006 21:12:22 UTC, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

Surprised no-one has jumped in already, but here's my 2p worth..

Browsing around, I came across AAISP, who seem to be the "kind of" ISP I
would go for. In particular, I'm looking at their "Max 2" and "Max 3"
Premium packages, and considering Max 1 Premium - depending on the
extent to which I can curb my partner's P2P usage (which is the *only*
program using significant bandwidth in the 'peak hours', as far as I can
tell). Prior to doing anything else, I've set my router's QoS to keep
that at 10% of maximum bandwidth, and told my firewall to drop any of
the packets in question at peak hours. Naughty me

The only difference with Premium (as opposed to non-Premium) is the
nominal 800K rather than 400K upload speed - but presumably you want
that and are prepared to pay the 'premium'...

Next, does anyone have any experience with AAISP & their service, etc?

Satisfied customer for four years.

Reading their website, it sounds almost too good to be true... and I'm
well aware of what that often means... specifically, I'm interested in
the level of know-how of the tech guys

Excellent when I've talked to, or emailed them. You get a real tech
person as soon as you ask for support.

the robustness (or lack
thereof!) of their network

Pretty good...they are very open about things too. New stuff tends to
get rolled out on Sundays but has never been a serious problem. Support
is 'office hours', but in practice someone always seems to get out there
and fix anything. The mail servers run a bit slow on occasions, but I
just run my own. They make that easy, and provide free secondary MX. I
also run my own DNS, and again they provide free secondary.

amount of faffing about I'm likely to expect
from accounts, etc...

Never, ever had a problem there.

Thirdly, and somewhat more generally, I notice that they've got native
IPv6 connections available, which is something I would really like to
have a play with . The downside, of course, is that I know almost
nothing about IPv6, except that I'd end up with a /48 block (corr!) if I
went for it. So:-

1. I assume it's a dual-stack connection?

They provide tunnelling too. Not that I know much about it.

2. Currently my router only supports IPv4. Being poor again right now,
I'd probably settle for setting up a PPPoE forward on my current router
to a PC Engines WRAP that I've got, and set it up as an IPv4/IPv6
router. That's all, obviously, "non-trivial", and could take a while for
me to work out. In the meantime, would I still be able to use the IPv4
Internet with just the IPv4 router?

Can't see why not. They give you a free router on loan as long as you're
with them, or you can buy it.

3. Just how easy is IPv6 to set up? This is a mixed Linux/Windows XP
(SP2, I *think*)/Windows 2000 (no idea as to SP) network. Presumably,
each PC would have two addresses for each interface - one ipv6, one
ipv4? So incompatible PC's (like the 2000 one, AFAICT) would just have
the single ipv4, and function perfectly well on the ipv4 backbone?

People seem to get good advice on their newsgroup about this. I'm just
changing my firewall to a BSD system, and intend to have a go myself
then.

4. Is there actually any benefit (except for a slightly geeky feeling of
power at having so many IPv6 addresses at one's disposal) to getting
IPv6 at this point in time?

Probably not! Nice to boast about at work though (well, I will...)

AAISP are *great* at chasing BT when there is a problem. They don't tell
you to reboot, or reinstall Windows. They are operating system
neutral...one of their 'aliases' is http://sod.ms ...! I once had a loss
of servuce at 0500; I reported in at about 0850 and went to work. I
returned early at 1500 and was just back onlie. Apparently BT closed the
fault at lunchtime with the reason 'customer router' (it wasn't). AAISP
didn't worry about telling me, they just reopened the fault and shouted
more.
euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 4th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 4 May 2006 21:39:58 UTC, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

Dr Teeth wrote:
They seem **very** overpriced unless you are a very, very light user.
[Just looked again, they are overpriced, full stop.]

(didn't see this directly as I have this guy killfiled).

One point about AAISP is that they only count usage as download. There
is never any upload limit. With P2P this may be significant, in a good
way. Download limit (whichever level you choose) is only office hours;
outside that it is unlimited. You can also carry over a heavy month, up
to 10GB overspend. I've only ever needed to dip into that once.

Prices are a little high, but the service and savvy is top notch. Things
like getting an SMS if the ADSL goes down..monitoring graphs...usage
stats...weblogs.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 4th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 4 May 2006 21:43:30 UTC, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

Forgot to say: with an inclusive IPv4 /29 subnet. That requirement
excludes almost all potential alternative ISPs that I can think of...

AAISP have given me a /29. And a /27 as well! No extra charge...

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 5th 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Thu, 04 May 2006 22:28:38 +0100, Dr Teeth
wrote:

They seem **very** overpriced unless you are a very, very light user.
[Just looked again, they are overpriced, full stop.]

Look at their Max 50 Premium prices...bloody mad. Can get the same
speeds, 100% unlimited (the Zen definition not Tiscali's) for 75 excl
VAT from at least a couple of ISPs.

Even less than that

http://broadband.nildram.net/view_pr....php?group=pro

just short of 60 quid + vat.
--
Chuck Norris and Mr.T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly
destroyed,as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.