Adsl max.

Old May 4th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Goiter bad neck

Default Adsl max.

Hi , my adsl service is going to be upgraded to adsl max next tuesday.
I currently use a bt voyager USB modem.
They are going to send me a new router .
Having never used one , should i be aware of anything that i could easily
mess up.
I'm on BT Broadband.
Not one problem it nearly four years.

Old May 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Goiter bad neck" wrote in message
Hi , my adsl service is going to be upgraded to adsl max next tuesday.
I currently use a bt voyager USB modem.
They are going to send me a new router .
Having never used one , should i be aware of anything that i could easily
mess up.
I'm on BT Broadband.
Not one problem it nearly four years.

So long as you are connecting via ethernet (not sure about wireless, as I
don't use it at all), do not install anything off the CD that comes with the
router - you don't need it (or at least most of what installs immediately
you put the CD in the drive) - this is the BT Yahoo! browser etc.. (unless
you use it already that is)
Make sure you uninstall the Voyager modem stuff as described first
When you connect the router, make sure you have DHCP enabled on the PC
In IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections and make sure it is set to
"Never Dial a Connection"
Print off or note anything you might need for the installation that is
online before you start (support telephone number, for example)
I'm guessing you only have one PC - if you want to use the wireless
connection, install first using ethernet, then when done, configure for
wireless and make sure it is secure
This is quite a good site for advice on routers and networking
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Old May 5th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Goiter bad neck

Just done a speed test.
Not quite right me thinks.
I was using firefox by the way.

BGfL 1MB ADSL Download Speed Test
This page is designed to give the user a good indication of the actual
transfer speeds that they obtain when connecting directly to a server. This
program works by sending a large section of data to the client program from
the server and timing how long it takes to download it.

Important Note: Due to caching problems in Internet Explorer you might
have to press and hold CTRL while clicking on reload. This should give you
an accurate download speed.
BGfL 1MB ADSL Speed Test Meter
Zero

0kB

160kb

20kB

400kb

50kB

800kb

100kB

1.2Mb

150kB

1.6Mb

200kB

2.2Mb

280kB

Extreme!

350kB

Your line speed is approximately 263225.8 Kbps or 32258.1 K bytes/sec
( Where kb = kilobits and kB = kiloBytes )

Results:
Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:

a.. Download time: 0.031 seconds
b.. Size of file: 1000 Kilobytes
c.. Estimated line speed: 263225.8 (kilobits/second)
d.. Estimated line speed: 32258.1 (kilobytes/second)
Try the 500k Download test .
Read the Download Test FAQ.
Back to the Home Page.

Old May 5th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Goiter bad neck

"Nicola Redwood" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that.

I dont use i.e , i use firefox.

Old May 6th 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Goiter bad neck" wrote in message

"Nicola Redwood" wrote in message

"Goiter bad neck" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Not a problem then
I'm getting a Voyager 2091 next week, so will be more familiar with the
Voyager series router web interface then
Which router are you getting?

Old May 6th 06, 05:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Goiter bad neck

[...]

Dont know yet , it will be a wireless one from bt option 3.