Dixons Freetalk adaptor

Old May 4th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Syd Hancock

Default Dixons Freetalk adaptor

I saw a voip product in Dixons today for 20 quid called a
Freetalk adaptor. Does anyone know if this is locked to the
Freetalk service? Any idea what ATA it is?

Syd
Norwich UK
Old May 5th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

"Syd Hancock" wrote in message
I saw a voip product in Dixons today for 20 quid called a
Freetalk adaptor. Does anyone know if this is locked to the
Freetalk service? Any idea what ATA it is?

Syd
Norwich UK

Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as I am aware.
I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called packet8, an American
company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily basis and have
been very impressed by the call quality.
Fred.

Old May 5th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

wrote in message
On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:53:26 GMT, "fred"
wrote:

Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as I am
aware.
I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called packet8, an American
company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily basis and have
been very impressed by the call quality.
Fred.

Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less add-ons
we use FT on a daily basis also .

Hi M.dexter
How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and Vonage? I
ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or Vonage for my dad.
Thanks
Fred.

Old May 5th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh fred:
wrote:

Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as I am
aware.
I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called packet8, an
American company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily
basis and have been very impressed by the call quality.
Fred.

Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less add-ons
we use FT on a daily basis also .

Hi M.dexter
How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and
Vonage? I ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or
Vonage for my dad. Thanks
Fred.

I wouldn't bother asking Dexter, he's the village idiot around here, his
opinions are worthless.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old May 5th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:52:26 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

I wouldn't bother asking Dexter, he's the village idiot
around here, his opinions are worthless.

Only because you and a few others don't like me telling
THE TRUTH regarding SIPGATE .

The OP never even mentioned Sipgate but you couldn't resist dragging them
into it, could you..?

Oh well, yet another thread ruined.......

Ivor

Old May 5th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

wrote in message
On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:44:29 GMT, "fred"
wrote:

Hi M.dexter
How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and Vonage?
ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or Vonage for my dad.
Thanks
Fred.

Both perfect only Sipgate offers poor service .

Thanks M Dexter. Would you choose one over the other though and for any
particular reason?
Fred.

Old May 5th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

wrote:

wrote:

I wouldn't bother asking Dexter, he's the village idiot
around here, his opinions are worthless.

Only because you and a few others don't like me telling
THE TRUTH regarding SIPGATE .

The OP never even mentioned Sipgate but you couldn't resist dragging them
into it, could you..?

It was only mentioned due to the fact that I know instantly what he
was eluding to and why he posted what he did ,and for your information
I will continue to drag them into it when ever I possibly can so you
just as well get used it If you don't like it tough.
Had Sipgate not left me and others without phone service for 36 hours
or more they would not even ever be mentioned here or anywhere else by
me but they did so I will continue to give them a bad name whenever
and where ever I can . No other voip provider that I know of has ever
done this to customers that I know of may I an and hour or two or even
a day yes but not from early Friday afternoon till Monday afternoon
NEVER .

It is a shame that you use "X-No-Archive" to ensure that your words of
wisdom are not preserved for people searching the archives for advice.
Old May 11th 06, 07:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Syd Hancock

wrote:

Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as
I am aware. I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called
packet8, an American
company
http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily
basis and have been very impressed by the call quality.
Fred.

Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less
add-ons we use FT on a daily basis also .

Thanks for the info. Also, on a simple practical level, how does
it connect to the broadband line? Does it need a router or can
it be used easily with a PC/modem combination? I have a router
but am thinking of suggesting it to family and friends who do
not.

Syd
Old May 11th 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

wrote:

Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as
I am aware. I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called
packet8, an American
company
http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily
basis and have been very impressed by the call quality.
Fred.

Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less
add-ons we use FT on a daily basis also .

Thanks for the info. Also, on a simple practical level, how does
it connect to the broadband line? Does it need a router or can
it be used easily with a PC/modem combination? I have a router
but am thinking of suggesting it to family and friends who do
not.

Syd

Hi Syd
It connects via an ethernet port on a spare port on a router for best
performance asno computers need to be on for it to work. It can be connected
via a USB port to a pc if no router is availablebut the pc has to be on.
Fred.

Old May 11th 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

[snip]

Either way Syd without router and simplified what you
have to do is connect the ATA to the modem THEN the
computer to the ATA and all will be well the Manuel is
pretty easy to follow anyway .

Que..?

Ivor