ADSL modem recommendations (again)

Old May 6th 06, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AndMart

Default ADSL modem recommendations (again)

Hi

Any recommendations for a cheap (100) ADSL modem that doesn't keep
hanging when using P2P? I am not a heavy downloader, the occasional DVD
ISO.

Only need 1 ethernet port, wireless not required. I am connecting using
Eclipse 1 Meg service.

I have googled for an answer but it seems that most reviews of ADSL
modems fail to mention P2P and most newsgroups postings give conflicting
answers.

I am currently using a Billion Bipac 5102S from Solwise that has worked
perfectly until I tried to download a torrent with Azureus which caused
it to hang after about an hour. Power off and on gets it working again
for a while.

thanks
Andrew
Old May 6th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Look on Ebay for a used Draytek 2600 that should cost around 60. Rock solid
reliable

Peter Crosland

Old May 6th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"AndMart" wrote in message
Hi

Any recommendations for a cheap (100) ADSL modem that doesn't keep
hanging when using P2P? I am not a heavy downloader, the occasional DVD
ISO.

Only need 1 ethernet port, wireless not required. I am connecting using
Eclipse 1 Meg service.

I have googled for an answer but it seems that most reviews of ADSL
modems fail to mention P2P and most newsgroups postings give conflicting
answers.

I am currently using a Billion Bipac 5102S from Solwise that has worked
perfectly until I tried to download a torrent with Azureus which caused
it to hang after about an hour. Power off and on gets it working again
for a while.

thanks
Andrew

Modems don't just switch off when you use p2p software. You need to look at
your computer, the way the ISP/PC cuts you off and why.
A modem is not controlled by software such as Limewire on the PC. The modem
is controlled by Windows. You also need to check you haven't got outlook
express checking for mail every so often and disconnecting for you.
Save your money, learn how the computer works and adjust settings first or
the problem will continue no matter what you buy. It sounds like you need
to update to the latest version of JAVA for Azureus and also run a firewall.
The WinXP one isn't good enough as it only works one way. So with the
amount of crap you get off P2P networks you're probably wide open to a virus
or trojan reporting home.

Old May 6th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AndMart

In article , john988
@nospamspam.com says...

"AndMart" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply but you will find that some modem do lockup due to
the number of connections that P2P software opens. Look in the
newsgroups for plenty of instances.
As the ADSL modem is a network devices running its own OS, Windows has
nothing to do with it.

Running behind a Cisco Pix firewall, MS ISA Firewall/Proxy with Symantec
10 AV so think I am pretty secure.

Thanks anyway
Andrew (Novell CNA, CCNA, MCSA + Messaging, MCSE)
Old May 7th 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

John wrote:

Modems don't just switch off when you use p2p software.

Modems may not but most of the budget routers can. I had a similar
problem with my first NetgearDG834G (36 hours till reboot), then a
Linksys (90 minutes), then a D-Link 604T (around 48 hours to
crash/lock up) & finally a 3Com Office Connect (here again 48 hours).
Eventually found out (from the 3Com website) that the probably cause
was that the nat/routing tables were getting to large & the poor
little things just couldn't cope. I switched to a Draytek 2600G &
have never looked back (well other than to try a Cisco 837 with
similar improvements).

Before you start chuntering on about line problems etc, just take it
as said there were no problems, ok.

Old May 7th 06, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AndMart

In article ,
[email protected] says...
John wrote:

Modems don't just switch off when you use p2p software.

Modems may not but most of the budget routers can. I had a similar
problem with my first NetgearDG834G (36 hours till reboot), then a
Linksys (90 minutes), then a D-Link 604T (around 48 hours to
crash/lock up) & finally a 3Com Office Connect (here again 48 hours).
Eventually found out (from the 3Com website) that the probably cause
was that the nat/routing tables were getting to large & the poor
little things just couldn't cope. I switched to a Draytek 2600G &
have never looked back (well other than to try a Cisco 837 with
similar improvements).

Before you start chuntering on about line problems etc, just take it
as said there were no problems, ok.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at getting a Cisco 800 series from
ebay, didn't realise how cheap they were going for.

Andrew
Old May 7th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Modems don't just switch off when you use p2p software.

Modems may not but most of the budget routers can. I had a similar
problem with my first NetgearDG834G (36 hours till reboot), then a
Linksys (90 minutes), then a D-Link 604T (around 48 hours to
crash/lock up) & finally a 3Com Office Connect (here again 48 hours).
Eventually found out (from the 3Com website) that the probably cause
was that the nat/routing tables were getting to large & the poor
little things just couldn't cope. I switched to a Draytek 2600G &
have never looked back (well other than to try a Cisco 837 with
similar improvements).

Before you start chuntering on about line problems etc, just take it
as said there were no problems, ok.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at getting a Cisco 800 series from
ebay, didn't realise how cheap they were going for.

OK if you knpow how to set them up. Otherwise I stand by my Draytek
suggestion.

Peter Crosland

Old May 7th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter Crosland wrote:

OK if you knpow how to set them up. Otherwise I stand by my Draytek
suggestion.

Not that difficult if you just set up the basics, after that you can
start playing It's the only one I managed to get a web cam on line
(Cisco that is), think it was more to do with the web cam (Linksys
wireless) than problems with the Draytek as even now I can't get
programs like AWC to recognise them although it finds the USB webcam &
the Gadspot webcam with ease...

Old May 8th 06, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Sat, 06 May 2006 17:37:40 +0100, AndMart wrote:

Hi

Any recommendations for a cheap (100) ADSL modem that doesn't keep
hanging when using P2P? I am not a heavy downloader, the occasional DVD
ISO.

Only need 1 ethernet port, wireless not required. I am connecting using
Eclipse 1 Meg service.

I have googled for an answer but it seems that most reviews of ADSL modems
fail to mention P2P and most newsgroups postings give conflicting answers.

I had problems with a NAT router and p2p. I replaced it with an XModem M3
and haven't had any problems. It's an ADSL modem that connects to your PC
with ethernet and gives you the ISP assigned IP address by DHCP, so it
very easy to setup, and there are no drivers required.

http://www.adslnation.co.uk

Old May 8th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

There is nothing wrong with the BT Voyager series and they are not
expensive.

Otherwise look at the Maplin and dabs.com websites.

news