Two Sub Networks

Old May 6th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Two Sub Networks

If I want to have two sub networks eg 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0
on my home system do I need to have two seperate routers.

I appreciate that as my router is the dhcp server it can only issue
auto IPs to one subnetwork and the other would need fixed.

Geoff Lane

Old May 6th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane
says...
If I want to have two sub networks eg 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0
on my home system do I need to have two seperate routers.

Yes if you want to connect more than one computer to each subnet (aka
PC to PC with crossover cable).

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old May 7th 06, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 6 May 2006 22:02:34 +0100, Jon
wrote:

If I want to have two sub networks eg 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0
on my home system do I need to have two seperate routers.

I appreciate that as my router is the dhcp server it can only issue
auto IPs to one subnetwork and the other would need fixed.

My Draytek can handle 2 subnets. Maybe your router can already do this?
If not I can't help I'm afraid, I don't know enough to help you.

I've got an older Draytek 2600, to the best of my knowledge it only
handles one subnet but I'll have another look.

Geoff Lane

Old May 7th 06, 08:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

wrote:
If I want to have two sub networks eg 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0
on my home system do I need to have two seperate routers.

I appreciate that as my router is the dhcp server it can only issue
auto IPs to one subnetwork and the other would need fixed.

My Draytek can handle 2 subnets. Maybe your router can already do this?
If not I can't help I'm afraid, I don't know enough to help you.

I've got an older Draytek 2600, to the best of my knowledge it only
handles one subnet but I'll have another look.

Look for a way to assign more than one IP address to the LAN-side interface.

Alex

Old May 8th 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 7 May 2006 09:49:27 +0100, Jon
wrote:

If I want to have two sub networks eg 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0
on my home system do I need to have two seperate routers.

My Draytek can handle 2 subnets. Maybe your router can already do this?
If not I can't help I'm afraid, I don't know enough to help you.

I've got an older Draytek 2600, to the best of my knowledge it only
handles one subnet but I'll have another look.

I use a 2600VG. Look in main menu Lan/TCPIP setup.

There has also just been a firmware update for draytek 2600 series:

http://www.draytek.com/support/download/Vigor2600V.php

My Draytek can handle two subnets but I think, unless I'm reading it
wrongly, it is for use by multiple IP addresses on the WAN side.

Geoff Lane

Old May 9th 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 8 May 2006 18:58:22 +0100, Jon
wrote:

My Draytek can handle two subnets but I think, unless I'm reading it
wrongly, it is for use by multiple IP addresses on the WAN side.

I'm no expert by any stretch of imagination, but it definitely looks
like LAN side to me. The title of the page is LAN IP Configuration, and
when I click on "2nd Subnet DHCP Server" it opens up a window where I
can assign IPs to MACs. Look like LAN side to me.

A private reply via the draytek (my router) forum suggests it is for
use with multiple IPs issued by the ISP.

I've experimented and so far the second subnet doesn't get out to the
internet, I've tried altering the gateway address etc but so far no
luck.

It does seem though to allow LAN side routing.

Geoff Lane

Old May 13th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:14:04 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

My Draytek can handle two subnets but I think, unless I'm reading it
wrongly, it is for use by multiple IP addresses on the WAN side.

Interesting one, it should work in theory because in a public IP
configuration you would assign the IP addresses from your public
network to the one subnet, the router would get its WAN IP from the
ISP, but it may do something strange with NAT with those IPs, which
means you could go internally but not externally.

Is there any real reason you are trying to do this anyway?

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.