How will VOIP work for me

Old May 6th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pollard

Default How will VOIP work for me

Hi
I have a 512MB broadband connection with a normal PC and a
wireless router/modem. How would I go about connecting a VOIP adapter/
phone to this system?

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
Tested on: 06/05/2006 23:20:06

Old May 6th 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message

Hi
I have a 512MB broadband connection with a normal PC and a
wireless router/modem. How would I go about connecting a
VOIP adapter/ phone to this system?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Unless you want to go down the road of replacing your existing
modem/router with one containing a built in ATA, which is a little OTT for
a new user (!) then you would need to plug the ATA into the router via an
Ethernet port; although you are using a wireless connection your router
will have at least one wired port, so unless you don't have a free socket
then plug in here.

If you are out of free Ethernet sockets, then you will need to get an
external hub or switch, connect this to the router and your connected
devices to the switch (get a switch rather than a hub if at all possible).

Depending on the make/model of ATA, you will find that it will either (a)
(hopefully..!) work straight out of the box, (once you have configured it
with all your VoIP account details, of course) or (b) not work and you
will have to do some fiddling to get it to, or (c) it will sort of work
but you'll have problems with one thing or another such as one-way audio
and you'll have even more problems getting it to work..!

Hopefully (c) won't happen, but if it does, you'll find plenty of people
here and elsewhere who will be able to help, so don't let what I've just
said put you off too much..!

If you can give us some more details about what you have already in terms
of equipment, i.e. are you using ADSL over a BT line or a cable modem,
what make of modem/router etc. then we can advise further.

When it comes to VoIP providers, I'm afraid this is where you will
unavoidably come across some serious hassle in this group as well as
elsewhere..! Some people are passionately in favour of one provider or
another, some will do their utmost to put you off the very same company,
so my advice is not to take any notice of anybody at all, even me. I too
have my likes and dislikes (as you will see if you read here often
enough..!) but to read what you see here and on other groups/forums and
make up your own mind, *before* you commit to spending any money with any
of them..!

Hope this helps a little bit and that I haven't put you off..!

Ivor

Old May 7th 06, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

Ian Pollard wrote:
Hi
I have a 512MB broadband connection with a normal PC and a
wireless router/modem. How would I go about connecting a VOIP adapter/
phone to this system?

Ian

Simply plug it into a spare port on the router

You may have to supply a STUN server (usually stun.yourvoipprovider.com
or nat.yourvoipprovider.com)in the ATA config or set up port forwarding
on the router

Personally I use a STUN server without any port forwarding without issues
Old May 7th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pollard

On Sat, 6 May 2006 23:58:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Hi Ian,

SNIP
If you can give us some more details about what you have already in terms
of equipment, i.e. are you using ADSL over a BT line or a cable modem,
what make of modem/router etc. then we can advise further.

SNIP

Hope this helps a little bit and that I haven't put you off..!

Ivor

Ivor

What I have is as follows. ADSL via a BT line right on the edge of
capability being 7 Km from the exchange, all I get is 512 KB/s. I have a
NetXQ router/modem that has wireless connectivity and three spare wired
Ethernet ports. I thought there was a system that used wireless
connection or an adapter that would plug into an ADSL filter that was
remote from the PC. You see, my PC is in the office upstairs and the
wireless side of things is for use by my family who often turn up at
home with their laptops. Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
Tested on: 07/05/2006 17:32:59

Old May 7th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message

[snip]

What I have is as follows. ADSL via a BT line right on
the edge of capability being 7 Km from the exchange, all
I get is 512 KB/s. I have a NetXQ router/modem that has
wireless connectivity and three spare wired Ethernet
ports. I thought there was a system that used wireless
connection or an adapter that would plug into an ADSL
filter that was remote from the PC. You see, my PC is in
the office upstairs and the wireless side of things is
for use by my family who often turn up at home with their
laptops. Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Ok, well if you have spare ethernet ports then there are any number of
ATA's (Analogue Telephone Adaptors) that will do the job. If you want to
use the phone remote from the location of the router then you can use a
DECT cordless phone. You could run telephone or network cabling from the
router/ATA to wherever you want, but that may be OTT for your needs.

As regards choice of ATA, my personal favourite would be something from
the Sipura stable, see www.sipura.com but they have an awful lot of
configurable options that a newcomer might find confusing (although most
don't need changing from the defaults). Grandstream do a couple of simple
units, but the build quality of them isn't up to much IMO. Plenty of
people here will give you recommendations if you ask, or you could check
out the various web forums, www.voxilla.com is a good place to start.

Ivor

Old May 7th 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 May 2006 23:58:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Hi Ian,

SNIP
[...]

Hi Ian
You will be able to plug in an ATA adaptor to your router via a spare
ethernet port and then connect a normal dect phone to your ATA adaptor to
make/receive calls throughout the house. If you want the easiest way then
you can simply buy one of the voip packages avaiable on the high street eg
Vonage/Freetalk. Or you could buy an unlocked ATA adaptor eg Linksys PAP2
for about £40-45 and then sign up with any voip provider you like except
Vonage/Freetalk as they lock their ATA's to their network. Hope this helps.
Fred.