line information - how?

Old May 7th 06, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

Default line information - how?

I'm in Hastings, East Sussex, birthplace of television and techno
armpit of the world. No cable.

I have been told my phone line won't support faster than 1Mb
broadband, though not why.

My connection is via an Alcatel 510 Speedtouch router. ADSLGuide speed
test regularly shows around 940 kbps.

I notice people here posting sync, line noise and attenuation figures
- could somebody explain how I get these figures? Do I query my router
in some way, or is there an external test to take?

I figure it woul;d be useful to have proper info if I want to start
querying BT or Pipex about why I can't get higher speeds.

TIA... Pete
Old May 7th 06, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Pete wrote:

I notice people here posting sync, line noise and attenuation figures
- could somebody explain how I get these figures? Do I query my router
in some way, or is there an external test to take?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

or ask your ISP to get them via a "woosh test"

Phil

Old May 7th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

On 7 May 2006 00:47:49 -0700, "PhilT" wrote:

Pete wrote:

I notice people here posting sync, line noise and attenuation figures
- could somebody explain how I get these figures? Do I query my router
in some way, or is there an external test to take?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

or ask your ISP to get them via a "woosh test"

Phil

Thanks Phil

I got the following:

attenuation - 31.0/46.0
noise - 28.0/16.0

errored secs local/remote - 42693/944

Can you help translate these in terms of line quality?
Old May 7th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

On 7 May 2006 01:45:50 -0700, "PhilT" wrote:

Pete wrote:

I got the following:

attenuation - 31.0/46.0
noise - 28.0/16.0

errored secs local/remote - 42693/944

Can you help translate these in terms of line quality?

the errored seconds are very high, unless its been on for months.

The 46 dB attenuation downstream is well within the 1M limit but just
outside the 2M limit. BT's fixed speed limits are 43 for 2M and 60 dB
for 1M.

The new variable rate "up to 8M" MaxDSL product would crank the speed
up until the noise figure was down to 6.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php suggests 2.8M or more given the
above stats.

If you have a master socket with removable lower half faceplate you may
be a better noise figure from the test socket in there - worth a try.
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3

Phil

Thanks again Phil. Yes, the router has been on for months, though I
did reboot it as suggested after the switchover to Pipex a fortnight
ago.

I'll take a look at the sites you suggest and keep trying to tinker. A
higher download speed would be useful....