Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge Adapters

Old May 7th 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
roman

Default Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge Adapters

I am deciding on what wireless router to buy but came accross this Netgear
Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge Adapter. I am not sure
a] how these devices connect, i.e do you still need a wired router?
b] do you need at least two of these devices?
c] are they any good ?

Thanks
Roman

Old May 10th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Badass Scotsman

I am deciding on what wireless router to buy but came accross this Netgear
Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge Adapter. I am not sure
a] how these devices connect, i.e do you still need a wired router?
b] do you need at least two of these devices?
c] are they any good ?

I just bought two at a cost of 120, and so far, they are wiping the flow
compared to my wireless reception. You need two, and a router.

What I did:

Ethernet cable from WALLPLUG to spare ROUTER PORT.

Ethernet cable from OTHER WALLPLUG to PC ETHERNET PORT.

Disabled WIRELESS ON THE ROUTER

Disabled WIRELESS ON THE PC

Turned both devices on

Hey presto, I have consistency once again. They came advertised as 85Mbs
capable, however mines are running at 65Mbs. It has a "performance
monitor".

Gary.
PS - They are literally plug in and away you go, NO configuration required.

Old May 10th 06, 02:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Chard

roman wrote:
I am deciding on what wireless router to buy but came accross this Netgear
Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge Adapter. I am not sure
a] how these devices connect, i.e do you still need a wired router?

What you effectively get is two Ethernet ports connected together over
the mains wiring, so you'd need a router at one end and your computer at
the other.

b] do you need at least two of these devices?

Yes.

c] are they any good ?

I'm using older 14Mb/s units to connect my "always-on" machine in the
garage, which is just outside the range of my wireless network. They
work flawlessly. You only need to do any setup if you want to enable
encryption, which you probably won't care about because (a) the signal
can't traverse your electricity meter, and (b) it's only 56-bit anyway.

- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Unix & Network Administrator | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Old May 11th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Badass Scotsman

Ha sorry, bad type. Wiping the floor I meant to write.

"[email protected]" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:45:24 +0100, "Badass Scotsman"
wrote:

I am deciding on what wireless router to buy but came accross this
Netgear
Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge Adapter. I am not sure
a] how these devices connect, i.e do you still need a wired router?
b] do you need at least two of these devices?
c] are they any good ?

I just bought two at a cost of 120, and so far, they are wiping the flow
compared to my wireless reception. You need two, and a router.

"wiping the flow"?

Lee.
--
lee at w2designs dot co dot uk

If I have one flaw, it's that I'm a perfectoinist.

Old May 14th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:21:16 +0100, Ian Chard
wrote:

roman wrote:
I am deciding on what wireless router to buy but came accross this Netgear
Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge Adapter. I am not sure
a] how these devices connect, i.e do you still need a wired router?

What you effectively get is two Ethernet ports connected together over
the mains wiring, so you'd need a router at one end and your computer at
the other.

b] do you need at least two of these devices?

Yes.

c] are they any good ?

I'm using older 14Mb/s units to connect my "always-on" machine in the
garage, which is just outside the range of my wireless network. They
work flawlessly. You only need to do any setup if you want to enable
encryption, which you probably won't care about because (a) the signal
can't traverse your electricity meter, and (b) it's only 56-bit anyway.

Can you plug these into extension sockets, or do they have to go into
wall sockets directly? Do you have to switch them on at the socket or
do they just work without this, and if the former can you plug
anything into a socket on the device (so the socket is not wasted), or
am I asking too much?

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old May 14th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Badass Scotsman

Both mines are on 8 plug extensions.

They do need to have the power turned on, and they are bulky rendering the
sockets either side useless.

Best purchase *ever* wireless woes are a distant memory for me now. I have
my office upstairs back online with two PC's and a network CCTV cam running
from 1 wall unit. Everything is so quick, and I managed to get my Telewest
10mbs line to download at an average of 1,300 Kbs. It was slower last week,
it was a telewest issue though. At one point it ran at around 1,600 Kbs, im
guessing Telewest don't cap it exactly at 10mb.

Badass.