Adsl Max Speeds

Old May 7th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

Default Adsl Max Speeds

I've been on adsl max for nearly 3 weeks but I am getting some strange
results. Before I changed, I was on 2Mb adsl and using the speed
checker on adslguide.org.uk was getting about 1.8 dowload speed with
overheads. Now, although the router is claiming over 4Mb, my dowloads
speeds are showing as 520K to about 1Mb - less than half the speed I
was getting before ! Is anyone else finding the same? My router stats
from this morning are shown below along with the adslguide readings:

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
Ds Rate (Kbps) 4736
US Margin 18
DS Margin 9
Trained Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 48
US Line Attenuation 31
Peak Cell Rate 1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 2
CRC Tx Interleaved 2
Path Mode Interleaved

Speed Test Results

Downstream 954.6 Kbps ( = 0.9 Mbps )
Upstream 326.6 Kbps ( = 0.3 Mbps )

This doesnt look at all good, ISP is BT

thanks
jim
Old May 7th 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

[...]

I'm the same.. With Plusnet though..
I was on a steady 2Mb connection prior to Max.
Since the change to Max on the 20/04 I've dropped to 125k - 130k
and cannot get beyond, despite changing routers/filters etc.
BT engineer coming out Tuesday to investigate if its their
fault.
..
Alan

Old May 7th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The New Boy

"jim" wrote in message
news
I've been on adsl max for nearly 3 weeks but I am getting some strange
results. Before I changed, I was on 2Mb adsl and using the speed
checker on adslguide.org.uk was getting about 1.8 dowload speed with
overheads. Now, although the router is claiming over 4Mb, my dowloads
speeds are showing as 520K to about 1Mb - less than half the speed I
was getting before ! Is anyone else finding the same? My router stats
from this morning are shown below along with the adslguide readings:

Are you usin PPPoA or PPPoE?

Wanadoo say to use PPPoA, but when I do I only get 3MB.
If I set it at PPPoE, I get 7MB.

Old May 7th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On Sun, 7 May 2006 12:08:10 +0100, "The New Boy" T o p @ S e c r e t
.. c o m wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
news
I've been on adsl max for nearly 3 weeks but I am getting some strange
results. Before I changed, I was on 2Mb adsl and using the speed
checker on adslguide.org.uk was getting about 1.8 dowload speed with
overheads. Now, although the router is claiming over 4Mb, my dowloads
speeds are showing as 520K to about 1Mb - less than half the speed I
was getting before ! Is anyone else finding the same? My router stats
from this morning are shown below along with the adslguide readings:

Are you usin PPPoA or PPPoE?

Wanadoo say to use PPPoA, but when I do I only get 3MB.
If I set it at PPPoE, I get 7MB.

Hi there,

I'm using pppoa which was the default setting for the router, which by
the way is a safecom sart2-4115 - maybe I should take kraftee's advice
and go for a Draytek and ditch the low end buget market

jim
Old May 7th 06, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

jim wrote:
I've been on adsl max for nearly 3 weeks but I am getting some strange
results. Before I changed, I was on 2Mb adsl and using the speed
checker on adslguide.org.uk was getting about 1.8 dowload speed with
overheads. Now, although the router is claiming over 4Mb, my dowloads
speeds are showing as 520K to about 1Mb - less than half the speed I
was getting before ! Is anyone else finding the same? My router stats
from this morning are shown below along with the adslguide readings:

I am *EXTREMELY* disappointed with my 'upgrade' to 8MB. I have reached the
end of the provisioning process and it's now over two weeks since I was cut
over. The speed is up and down all the time - sometimes it struggles to get
to 500 Kbit then it jumps to 3 Mbit. Before I had a stable 2 Mbit
connection that I could rely on. Now I have **** and I have f**king
annoyed! Next week I shall be demanding that I be put back on my old
connection - at least that was consistent.

Old May 7th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The New Boy

"jim" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 May 2006 12:08:10 +0100, "The New Boy" T o p @ S e c r e t
. c o m wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
news
[...]

Can't you try pppoe?

Old May 7th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On Sun, 7 May 2006 12:52:38 +0100, "The New Boy" T o p @ S e c r e t
.. c o m wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 7 May 2006 12:08:10 +0100, "The New Boy" T o p @ S e c r e t
. c o m wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
news I've been on adsl max for nearly 3 weeks but I am getting some
[...]

I've tried to, but the option is "greyed out" and only offers pppoa
unless I can find a way to activate the drop down menu option
Old May 7th 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On Sun, 7 May 2006 12:44:38 +0100, "Harry The Horse"
wrote:

I am *EXTREMELY* disappointed with my 'upgrade' to 8MB. I have reached the
end of the provisioning process and it's now over two weeks since I was cut
over. The speed is up and down all the time - sometimes it struggles to get
to 500 Kbit then it jumps to 3 Mbit. Before I had a stable 2 Mbit
connection that I could rely on. Now I have **** and I have f**king
annoyed! Next week I shall be demanding that I be put back on my old
connection - at least that was consistent.

I know how you feel - my indicated speed varies between 2.0Mb and
5.5Mb but my true download speed has never tested over 2.2Mb /s no
matter what the router is showing

jim
Old May 7th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ryan

Same here,

I really hope BT sort this out soon as I upgraded a 1mb to get bloody
300k and I've paid more for it! My ISP (Eclipse) won't downgrade me
either. I don't really blame them, it is BT's fault as they have a crap
and unstable product.

Plus I am just over the 256k threshold which BT say is acceptable, so
they won't investigate. To me this still sounds like a monopoly, I
can't go anywhere else!

Let us know if you get anywhere.

Ryan

Old May 8th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

I'm getting contradictory info from adslguide speed test too.
My router is currently set to 5664 Kb/s down and 448 Kb/s up.
If I pull in a binary from astraweb I get around 500 KB/s but
adslguide speed test only returns about 250 KB/s.
This was the case Sat, Sun & today.
I've always trusted adslguide in the past but I'm somewhat suspicious
now.

Eric.

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly