Wireless dial-up!

Old May 7th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Wireless dial-up!

I know this is technically OT but...

I'm thinking of providing recently-retired parents with a laptop.
Because they will make so little use of the internet I'm considering
dial-up rather than broadband, but would like them to have the
flexibility of using the laptop anywhere in the house or even the
garden.

Is there a device - or combination of devices - which will allow
wireless communication from the laptop in combination with a modem
which dials up when required? The only arrangement I've come up with so
far involves using an old desktop PC in some sort of internet
connection sharing configuration, but it seems a bit OTT and I don't
really want them to have to go upstairs and power up a PC every time
they want to use the laptop.

Thanks,

Steve Adams

Old May 7th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Patchy The Pirate

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is technically OT but...

I'm thinking of providing recently-retired parents with a laptop.
Because they will make so little use of the internet I'm considering
dial-up rather than broadband, but would like them to have the
flexibility of using the laptop anywhere in the house or even the
garden.

Is there a device - or combination of devices - which will allow
wireless communication from the laptop in combination with a modem
which dials up when required? The only arrangement I've come up with so
far involves using an old desktop PC in some sort of internet
connection sharing configuration, but it seems a bit OTT and I don't
really want them to have to go upstairs and power up a PC every time
they want to use the laptop.

Thanks,

Steve Adams

Aye, there be on he http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/cay227

The BT On-Air Wireless Modem allows you to connect to the Internet without
wires to your standard telephone line. This product is NOT compatible with
Broadband.

You can now use your computer and connect to the Internet anywhere in your
home, not where the telephone socket is! Compatible with your existing DECT
phone range.

Now you can surf where once you could only chat! Surf without wires up to 50
meters away from the base station indoors and up to 300 meters outdoors (in
ideal conditions) with the BT On-Air Wireless Modem 56kb modem.

The BT On-Air Wireless Modem is compatible with Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 and
XP (up to and including Service Pack 1). Compatibility with Windows XP SP2
installation depends upon the upgrade in XP from SP1 to SP2. As it stands
this product is only compatible with XP service pack 1.

Arghhhh, I think that's what ye be looking for.

Patchy

Old May 7th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Patchy The Pirate

pirate rambling removed

Y'argh also if you look in the treasure chest that be ebay ye may well find
it cheaper arghhhh.
A quick search for wireless modem 56k showed several matches.

Patchy

Old May 7th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Patchy The Pirate" wrote in
message

[snip]

The BT On-Air Wireless Modem is compatible with Windows
98SE, Me, 2000 and XP (up to and including Service Pack
1). Compatibility with Windows XP SP2 installation
depends upon the upgrade in XP from SP1 to SP2. As it
stands this product is only compatible with XP service
pack 1.

May not be any good if they've got SP2 though, which I'd wager most people
using XP have now.

Ivor

Old May 7th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Thanks All,

Yes - would be perfect if not for the SP2 limitation. Anyone like to
hazard a guess what one earth they mean by "Compatibility with Windows
XP SP2 installation depends upon the upgrade in XP from SP1 to SP2."?
Depends upon what about the upgrade????

Steve Adams

Old May 8th 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is technically OT but...

I'm thinking of providing recently-retired parents with a laptop.
Because they will make so little use of the internet I'm considering
dial-up rather than broadband, but would like them to have the
flexibility of using the laptop anywhere in the house or even the
garden.

Is there a device - or combination of devices - which will allow
wireless communication from the laptop in combination with a modem
which dials up when required? The only arrangement I've come up with so
far involves using an old desktop PC in some sort of internet
connection sharing configuration, but it seems a bit OTT and I don't
really want them to have to go upstairs and power up a PC every time
they want to use the laptop.

Thanks,

Steve Adams

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=400022 - its a Bluetooth device
though

Old May 8th 06, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Steve wrote:
Thanks All,

Yes - would be perfect if not for the SP2 limitation. Anyone like to
hazard a guess what one earth they mean by "Compatibility with Windows
XP SP2 installation depends upon the upgrade in XP from SP1 to SP2."?
Depends upon what about the upgrade????

Steve Adams

To me it reads, "You need to have installed SP1, then installed SP2 on top"

IE. it won't work if your Windows CD came with SP2 already in it.

Strange, strange Windows...

xF,

....Nick
Old May 8th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Steve wrote:
I know this is technically OT but...

I'm thinking of providing recently-retired parents with a laptop.
Because they will make so little use of the internet I'm considering
dial-up rather than broadband, but would like them to have the
flexibility of using the laptop anywhere in the house or even the
garden.

Is there a device - or combination of devices - which will allow
wireless communication from the laptop in combination with a modem
which dials up when required? The only arrangement I've come up with
so far involves using an old desktop PC in some sort of internet
connection sharing configuration, but it seems a bit OTT and I don't
really want them to have to go upstairs and power up a PC every time
they want to use the laptop.

Might be worth doing a site survey first with a wireless laptop. There
might be an insecure network within range. ;-)

Tim