re-assigning a freetalk adapter?

Old May 7th 06, 11:51 PM
oakleydoakley oakleydoakley is offline
Junior Member

Default re-assigning a freetalk adapter?

When my 1 year contract expires can I re-assign my freetalk adapter to use (for example voipstunt. etc) another provider? I have been VERY impressed with voipstunt sound quality 95% of the time. Freetalk is always just o.k.
In addition stunt is only 10 euros for 4 months of normal uk landlines and many other countries......getting this service working with my adapter would be fantastic!

Anyone clever out there who knows the technical side of this?

When I set it (freetalk adapter) up I had a problem and freetalk told me how to change the mac address (quantum physics to me!!!) but it did seem to let me into the adaptor's secret insides????

thanks
Old May 8th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 7 May 2006 23:51:15 +0100, oakleydoakley
wrote:

When my 1 year contract expires can I re-assign my freetalk adapter to
use (for example voipstunt. etc) another provider? I have been VERY
impressed with voipstunt sound quality 95% of the time. Freetalk is
always just o.k.
In addition stunt is only 10 euros for 4 months of normal uk landlines
and many other countries......getting this service working with my
adapter would be fantastic!

Anyone clever out there who knows the technical side of this?

When I set it (freetalk adapter) up I had a problem and freetalk told
me how to change the mac address (quantum physics to me!!!) but it did
seem to let me into the adaptor's secret insides????

thanks

I don't know anything about this adapter. If I were to tackle this I
would first try to identify the origin of the unit and see if it was a
rebadged standard product. Then Google for information on unlocking
it.
You have to bear in mind that it isn't in Freetalk's interest to
faciltate access to any competitor via their adapters. It is the
reason I always advise against putting money into any locked device as
it is usually money down the drain.
I wonder what would happen if one were to point out that now the
contract period was over that you would like to have the access codes
(well I can guess). Personally I think that access to codes should be
a 'right' once a contract period has expired.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.