Fibre Optic or Wireless VoIP Installations

Old May 8th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Simon

Default Fibre Optic or Wireless VoIP Installations

Hi All,

Wonder if anybody has any advice regarding fibre optic or wireless IP
installations.
I am currently looking at data/voice/video requirements for a leisure
development. It broadly consists of 400 lodges (spread over some 40
acres, maximum distance between any two buildings would be no more than

1.5 miles) and I am looking to see whether it is possible to either
1) lay fibre optic to carry voice, data and TV to each individual unit

(as well as the admin buildings etc)
2) lay cat 5 to carry VOIP / data and coax for TV signal
3) lay coax for TV. And use a wireless LAN for VOIP, data etc.

Any thoughts on likely issues that I need to think about, (specifically

in terms of ease of installation, cost, security etc ), which of the
three approaches would be favourite and has anybody had any experience
in the above.

BTW the site is currently a greenfield site and the contractor is
obligated to install ducting for data/video/voice etc but not to
install any cabling.

Any help, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Smon.

Old May 8th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Simon wrote:
Hi All,

Wonder if anybody has any advice regarding fibre optic or wireless IP
installations.
I am currently looking at data/voice/video requirements for a leisure
development. It broadly consists of 400 lodges (spread over some 40
acres, maximum distance between any two buildings would be no more than

1.5 miles) and I am looking to see whether it is possible to either
1) lay fibre optic to carry voice, data and TV to each individual unit

(as well as the admin buildings etc)
2) lay cat 5 to carry VOIP / data and coax for TV signal
3) lay coax for TV. And use a wireless LAN for VOIP, data etc.

Any thoughts on likely issues that I need to think about, (specifically

My personal recommendation is to avoid using wireless as much as you
can, probably worth running a couple of pairs of fibre (one attached and
one spare) to several nodes, and running Cat 5 to the individual units.
You will need a proper site survey, no matter what you're doing. (even
down to deciding what type of fibre you need to buy).

It all depends on your budget really, . (I don't fancy configuring 400
IP phones, or trusting guests not to steal them). Do you have any idea
of what the architecture and useage requirements are?

in terms of ease of installation, cost, security etc ), which of the
three approaches would be favourite and has anybody had any experience
in the above.

There's even a 4th option of running IPTV, but that's more expensive.

Old May 8th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Simon wrote:

Wonder if anybody has any advice regarding fibre optic or wireless IP
installations.
I am currently looking at data/voice/video requirements for a leisure
development. It broadly consists of 400 lodges (spread over some 40
acres, maximum distance between any two buildings would be no more than

1.5 miles) and I am looking to see whether it is possible to either

40 acres is about 400m square
or say 20m by 8 km so 20m between lodges in a line.

so how do you get your 1.5 miles ?

1) lay fibre optic to carry voice, data and TV to each individual unit

(as well as the admin buildings etc)
2) lay cat 5 to carry VOIP / data and coax for TV signal
3) lay coax for TV. And use a wireless LAN for VOIP, data etc.

ethernet distance limits come into play, once we have a better fix on
typical distances it'll be more clear.

BTW the site is currently a greenfield site and the contractor is
obligated to install ducting for data/video/voice etc but not to
install any cabling.

Fibre is the most future proof, pull two fibres to each lodge, one for
TV and one for the rest.

Have a read at
http://www.lightreading.com/webinar_...p?doc_id=27896 a Danish
municipal fibre project.

Wireless is much lower bandwidth, but potentially lower cost. Is this
in the UK ?

Phil