MiniPCI Atheros WLAN card - question about antennae

Old May 8th 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Default MiniPCI Atheros WLAN card - question about antennae

Hello,

I recently bought eBay item 6877317668 - a Gigabyte GN-WIAG01 wireless
2.4GHz miniPCI card, to stick in my WRAP router that I'm building.

It's all working perfectly, except, erm, it's encased in aluminium, and
the range is... pathetic (as it, WRAP and elan adaptor are on the
same table, they're connecting at 802.11b speeds, and still dropping out
every minute or so). Should have guessed, really...!

Anyway, AFAICT there are connectors on the card for up to two antennae
to attach, and there's a hole on the back of the case that looks at
though it's designed to have an antenna mounted to it, so I go off to
buy an antenna... only to realise that I don't have a clue what the
interface is called (it's a very small, circular gold-plated thing, with
a small pin in the centre. 3mm across, if that). Can anyone enlighten
me? The auction doesn't seem to have any details on that... and I can't
find it anywhere else, either!

Ideally, I'd be able to get a short
little-connector-to-mountable-medium-attachment-for-antenna lead (when I
say short, I mean around 6-10cm), and an antenna that can screw onto it.
The (I assume) mounting hole in the back of the case is circular (except
at the top, where it's straight... so semi-circular, I suppose), and
around 10mm wide.

Rough guesses because there's never a ruler around when you need one .
Hope I'm not being too incoherent... any help at all would be greatly
appreciated.

xF,

....Nick
Old May 9th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Nicholas Thomas wrote:

Anyway, AFAICT there are connectors on the card for up to two antennae
to attach, and there's a hole on the back of the case that looks at
though it's designed to have an antenna mounted to it, so I go off to
buy an antenna... only to realise that I don't have a clue what the
interface is called (it's a very small, circular gold-plated thing, with
a small pin in the centre. 3mm across, if that). Can anyone enlighten
me? The auction doesn't seem to have any details on that... and I can't
find it anywhere else, either!

http://resources.mini-box.com/online...PCI/specs.html

http://www.hirose.co.uk/productreleases/ufl.htm

Phil

Old May 9th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

PhilT wrote:
Nicholas Thomas wrote:

[...]only to realise that I don't have a clue what the
interface is called (it's a very small, circular gold-plated thing, with
a small pin in the centre. 3mm across, if that). [...]

http://resources.mini-box.com/online...PCI/specs.html

http://www.hirose.co.uk/productreleases/ufl.htm

Phil

Many thanks