ADSLMax advice and info please.

Old May 8th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wiffy

Default ADSLMax advice and info please.

I am about to move house, and according to the various checkers on the net,
I can get ADSL Max at my new exchange. There seems to be a lot of hassle
involved, and it is not a straightforward procedure judging by the posts on
here, with speed fluctuations, etc. Can anybody recommend a good FAQ
regarding ADSL Max, and also the best ISPs for speed and reliability for
ADLS Max?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Old May 9th 06, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 8 May 2006 23:01:19 +0100, "Mr Wiffy"
wrote:

I am about to move house, and according to the various checkers on the net,
I can get ADSL Max at my new exchange. There seems to be a lot of hassle
involved, and it is not a straightforward procedure judging by the posts on
here, with speed fluctuations, etc.

No hassle at all, and it is totally straightforward.

It just might not give as good a result as you hope. Or it might give
even better.

http://aaisp.net/maxmagic.html

and also the best ISPs for speed and reliability for
ADLS Max?

It hasn't been in operation long enough yet to know.

Not that it is likely to be any different from non ADSL Max so far as
that goes. Very little of the new stuff is subject to ISP control.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Old May 9th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John L

"Mr Wiffy" wrote in message
I am about to move house, and according to the various checkers on the

net,
I can get ADSL Max at my new exchange. There seems to be a lot of hassle
involved, and it is not a straightforward procedure judging by the posts

on
here, with speed fluctuations, etc. Can anybody recommend a good FAQ
regarding ADSL Max, and also the best ISPs for speed and reliability for
ADLS Max?

There's no issues with ADSLmax that are too much trouble. It can take a few
days, even a week or more to really settle down.

The aasip faq is one of the best I've seen!

--

Regards

John Lyons

T: 0845 6444194
F: 01745 582374
w: www.netserve.co.uk
w: www.discountadsl.co.uk

Old May 9th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SoWeezy

There's no issues with ADSLmax that are too much trouble. It can take a
few
days, even a week or more to really settle down.

I must be one of the "more" then

my speeds constantly fluctuate between 0.5mbps and 1.4mbps
the first 2 days I was getting 1.8mbps but no where near that now.

and the line drops more often than a hookers knickers /c:

Old May 9th 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John L

I must be one of the "more" then

my speeds constantly fluctuate between 0.5mbps and 1.4mbps
the first 2 days I was getting 1.8mbps but no where near that now.

and the line drops more often than a hookers knickers /c:

At those speeds I'd say yes that's understandable and it would be worth
asking the ISP if they can look at changing the interleaving or just
checking things out.
I'm guessing you're a long way from the exchange.

--

Regards

John Lyons
T: 0845 6444194
w: www.netserve.co.uk
w: www.discountadsl.co.uk

Old May 9th 06, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SoWeezy

At those speeds I'd say yes that's understandable and it would be worth
asking the ISP if they can look at changing the interleaving or just
checking things out.
I'm guessing you're a long way from the exchange.

a very long way, over 5km

will ask the ISP if they can do anything, I'd be happy with a fixed 1mbps
service rather than ADSL Max

in the last 10 minutes it's gone from 909/364 to 679/274 and now it's
632/345

thanks

Old May 9th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

"SoWeezy" wrote in message
At those speeds I'd say yes that's understandable and it would be worth
asking the ISP if they can look at changing the interleaving or just
checking things out.
I'm guessing you're a long way from the exchange.

a very long way, over 5km

will ask the ISP if they can do anything, I'd be happy with a fixed 1mbps
service rather than ADSL Max

in the last 10 minutes it's gone from 909/364 to 679/274 and now it's
632/345

Have you looked at your internal wiring to see if you can improve things?
Such as connecting the router to the master socket with a filtered face
plate. Moving my router from one of the extentions to the master socket
gained a whole 5 mbit!!

Dan

thanks

Old May 9th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , SoWeezy
wrote
There's no issues with ADSLmax that are too much trouble. It can take a
few
days, even a week or more to really settle down.

I must be one of the "more" then

my speeds constantly fluctuate between 0.5mbps and 1.4mbps
the first 2 days I was getting 1.8mbps but no where near that now.

and the line drops more often than a hookers knickers /c:

My line was dropping around 3 times a day - 3 weeks with a 8M
connection. I replaced the cheap USB modem with a router connected via
Ethernet and still had the same problem.

I put a good quality filtered socket [1] next to the BT master socket
and removed most of the phone extension wires in my house (no longer
required because of DECT phones). Result: no disconnections in 3 days
and a couple of downloads 40 percent faster than seen before. Obviously
downloads are only as fast as the slowest link in the chain and often
nothing to do with the connection to the local telephone exchange.

[1]
http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xtf.php
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php