Hide my BT Voyager 2091

Old May 9th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rdrunner40

Default Hide my BT Voyager 2091

Hi,

I live in a apartment block and i have recently installed the above
wireless router.

My question is does anybody know how to turn off the SSID so that my
Router details are not broadcast.

When i use the scan feature on the Wireless utility that i installed i
found My wireless router and 4 others ..... using the same router
types.

I am am not worried about the others but would like to make my details
invisible to all others....

regards

Murray

--
rdrunner40
Old May 9th 06, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

rdrunner40 wrote:

Hi,

I live in a apartment block and i have recently installed the above
wireless router.

snip
I am am not worried about the others but would like to make my details
invisible to all others....

Hiding your SSID does not actually make much difference at all.
It certainly does not hide any details from the more than even slightly
casual observer.
Old May 9th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiding your SSID does not actually make much difference at all.
It certainly does not hide any details from the more than even slightly
casual observer.

It also makes it harder for someone else to avoid the channel that
you're using.

Broadcast SSID. You know it makes sense.
Chris
Old May 9th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
rdrunner40 wrote:

Hi,

I live in a apartment block and i have recently installed the above
wireless router.

snip
I am am not worried about the others but would like to make my details
invisible to all others....

Hiding your SSID does not actually make much difference at all.
It certainly does not hide any details from the more than even slightly
casual observer.

it does if you change the name from the default one... since the ssid would
have to be keyed into setup the connection, so would be harder to guess???

Old May 9th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

rdrunner40 wrote:

Hi,

I live in a apartment block and i have recently installed the above
wireless router.

snip
I am am not worried about the others but would like to make my details
invisible to all others....

Hiding your SSID does not actually make much difference at all.
It certainly does not hide any details from the more than even slightly
casual observer.

it does if you change the name from the default one... since the ssid would
have to be keyed into setup the connection, so would be harder to guess???

Not really.
It _is_ broadcast, even with 'hiding'.
Otherwise your computer could not use it.
There are tools readily available which can observe both sides of the
interaction between your router and laptop/... and spit out the SSID.
Old May 10th 06, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Chris Davies" wrote in message

Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiding your SSID does not actually make much difference
at all.
It certainly does not hide any details from the more
than even slightly casual observer.

True.

It also makes it harder for someone else to avoid the
channel that you're using.

********. Anyone looking can see which channel you're on. I can see three
from here right now, all with SSID withheld.

Broadcast SSID. You know it makes sense.

No it doesn't.

Ivor

Old May 10th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Ivor Jones wrote:
********. Anyone looking can see which channel you're on. I can see three
from here right now, all with SSID withheld.

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one.

Most domestic wireless kit that I've come across cannot see networks
unless SSID is broadcast. (Netstumbler and its ilk are exceptions,
because they're intended to find "hidden" networks. How many folk
out there even know about NS let alone are capable of running it and
understanding its results?)

You clearly are more fortunate to have better kit - or better knowledge -
than the majority.

Old May 10th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Most domestic wireless kit that I've come across cannot see networks
unless SSID is broadcast.

Well I have just setup 2 Netgear bog standard wireless systems, turned off
the sssid and the laptops still connect ok.

Dave
Old May 10th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

gort wrote:
Well I have just setup 2 Netgear bog standard wireless systems, turned off
the sssid and the laptops still connect ok.

Yes, but you would have had to provide the SSID. And you've no way of
knowing whether someone else is using the channel you've chosen.

Chris
Old May 10th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Chris Davies" wrote in message

[snip]

Most domestic wireless kit that I've come across cannot
see networks unless SSID is broadcast. (Netstumbler and
its ilk are exceptions, because they're intended to find
"hidden" networks. How many folk
out there even know about NS let alone are capable of
running it and understanding its results?)

You clearly are more fortunate to have better kit - or
better knowledge - than the majority.

No special kit, just my Dell laptop.

Ivor