PlusTalk (SIP VoIP) registration error

Old May 9th 06, 04:33 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.comp.os.linux,uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Default PlusTalk (SIP VoIP) registration error

I'm getting the following error message from my SIP-based VoIP softphone
("twinkle", in case anyone's interested) when trying to connect to
PlusNet's PlusTalk SIP gateway. I don't get it when connecting to
Sipgate. Any ideas what it means, please?

479 We dont accept private IP contacts
Warning: 392 Noisy feedback tells: pid=13132 req_src_ip=212.159.114.45 req_src_po

FWIW 212.159.114.45 is my (static) IP address.

Thanks,
Chris
Old May 9th 06, 06:54 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Chris Davies wrote:
I'm getting the following error message from my SIP-based VoIP softphone
("twinkle", in case anyone's interested) when trying to connect to
PlusNet's PlusTalk SIP gateway. I don't get it when connecting to
Sipgate. Any ideas what it means, please?

479 We dont accept private IP contacts
Warning: 392 Noisy feedback tells: pid=13132 req_src_ip=212.159.114.45 req_src_po

FWIW 212.159.114.45 is my (static) IP address.

That first line is the sort of error I'd expect to see if your SIP
traffic is using RFC1918 space. Can you sniff the traffic and look at
the SIP headers? Any config option in your client to hardcode the IP
address used?
Old May 9th 06, 09:54 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

In uk.telecom.voip Paul Cupis wrote:
That first line is the sort of error I'd expect to see if your SIP
traffic is using RFC1918 space.

Ah, that's an interesting one. If I run the software on my laptop at
work (using 10.0.0.0/9 address space with NAT/PAT to the big wide world)
it works fine and registers. When I run the software with the same
dynamic configuration at home (using 192.168.128.0/21 address space with
NAT/PAT to the big wide world) it fails with this error.

I wonder whether the work firewall (a CISCO PIX) is doing in-packet
processing for SIP; I know I've had to disable the SIP alg on my home
router/firewall.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Chris
Old May 10th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Chris Davies wrote:
I wonder whether the work firewall (a CISCO PIX) is doing in-packet
processing for SIP; I know I've had to disable the SIP alg on my home
router/firewall.

The cisco probably has its SIP ALG switched on, and they usually work.

The ALG's in lots of home routers do more harm than good.

Do plusnet have an outbound proxy that they suggest you use?

The error message looks like it has come from SER, so looks like they
haven't installed the nathelper parts of SER.

Tim
Old May 11th 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Tim wrote:
The cisco probably has its SIP ALG switched on, and they usually work.

Yeah, looks plausible, thanks.

The ALG's in lots of home routers do more harm than good.

Agreed. Most definitely!

Do plusnet have an outbound proxy that they suggest you use?

sip.plus.net, but it's still objecting even when I use that.

The error message looks like it has come from SER, so looks like they
haven't installed the nathelper parts of SER.

SER as in http://www.iptel.org/ser/ ?

Interestingly I hard-coded my home (static) IP address in the SIP
application, and now it works fine not only at home - reasonably enough -
but also at work (i.e. the CISCO PIX appears to be handling the clearly
wrong IP address "correctly")

I'd also tried using a STUN server, but at home the service complained
I had a Symmetric NAT and so STUN couldn't help me. (I thought Symmetric
NAT was the "most correct" implementation of NAT? In which case it's
amazing that STUN can even work at all...?)

Chris