BT Broadband 8Mb - New Connection

Old May 9th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Weekes

Default BT Broadband 8Mb - New Connection

Hi all,

Ive just had a new BT DSL installation (2 days old), and my router and
bband modem are both reporting a link speed of 8Mb (8128 to be
precise), which is all fine and dandy.

However, this is not being reflected in the download speeds Im getting,
and any speed tests I run (ive tried the usual, adslguide.org etc) give
a link speed of around 1800kbs. This was the speed I used to get on a
2mb line.

If the link speed is being reported correctly by the hardware, does
this mean its my problem?

Cheers.

Old May 9th 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:21:35 UTC, "Nick Weekes"
wrote:

However, this is not being reflected in the download speeds Im getting,
and any speed tests I run (ive tried the usual, adslguide.org etc) give
a link speed of around 1800kbs. This was the speed I used to get on a
2mb line.

It's always worth reading the newsgroup first...this has been discussed
quite a lot.

Take a look he

http://aaisp.net/maxmagic.html

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 14th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message .com,
Nick Weekes writes
Hi all,

Ive just had a new BT DSL installation (2 days old), and my router
and
bband modem are both reporting a link speed of 8Mb (8128 to be
precise), which is all fine and dandy.

However, this is not being reflected in the download speeds Im
getting,
and any speed tests I run (ive tried the usual, adslguide.org etc)
give
a link speed of around 1800kbs. This was the speed I used to get on
2mb line.

If the link speed is being reported correctly by the hardware, does
this mean its my problem?

RTFNG

Now you're going to have to tell him what that means.

Personally I'm thinking about filtering out any & all headers with
ADSLMax & similar as it has been over done to death over the last few
weeks it's been available & it's the same thing over & over again.
Funny things is, I've only met up with one such circuit in the wild in
the same time frame. O well back to poles & holes ;-)