Order Cancelled - Out of Cost Limits

Old May 10th 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dw

Default Order Cancelled - Out of Cost Limits

Hello all,

Have been helping someone set up broadband on their line.

Just received an email saying that the order has been cancelled because
the engineering work needed on the line is deemed to expensive to carry
out.

Is this the end of the road or is it worth trying another provider? I'm
guessing the former as BT are saying they are not prepared to carry out
the work.

I guess I could approach his neighbours, with a view to setting up a
wireless network, though I suspect the are on the same line.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
TIA,
dw

Old May 10th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gozer the Destructor

"dw" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

Have been helping someone set up broadband on their line.

Just received an email saying that the order has been cancelled because
the engineering work needed on the line is deemed to expensive to carry
out.

Is this the end of the road or is it worth trying another provider? I'm
guessing the former as BT are saying they are not prepared to carry out
the work.

I guess I could approach his neighbours, with a view to setting up a
wireless network, though I suspect the are on the same line.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
TIA,
dw

Best to rty another provider. Pipex are very good. Just out of intrest, who
did you choose in the first place?

Old May 10th 06, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dw

Are you saying that it's NOT BT that are saying it's too expensive to
carry out the work but the ISP?
I signed them up with Freedom2Surf (now of course owned by Pipex). I
know a lot of people are complaining about f2s but I've never had a
major problem (loss of service or really slow speeds) in over 2 years,
including the switch to MAX ADSL. I've signed up about 10 people in the
last six months and none of them have complained to me YET :-)
dw

Old May 10th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"dw" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hello all,
:
: Have been helping someone set up broadband on their line.
:
: Just received an email saying that the order has been cancelled because
: the engineering work needed on the line is deemed to expensive to carry
: out.
:
: Is this the end of the road or is it worth trying another provider? I'm
: guessing the former as BT are saying they are not prepared to carry out
: the work.
:
: I guess I could approach his neighbours, with a view to setting up a
: wireless network, though I suspect the are on the same line.
:
: Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
: TIA,
: dw
:

I would try other providers is there a cable company may be worth a look..

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old May 10th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dw

"dw" wrote in message

oups.com...
: Hello all,
:
[...]

Sadly there is no alternative (except maybe satellite). It's fairly
rural, although I have set up other people in the same village no more
than 200 yards away.

dw

Old May 10th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

dw wrote:

Sadly there is no alternative (except maybe satellite). It's fairly
rural, although I have set up other people in the same village no more
than 200 yards away.

dw

Have a look at http://solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna-58.htm , as you
might be able to share one of your friendly neighbours connection

jon

Old May 10th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dw

Have a look at http://solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna-58.htm , as you
might be able to share one of your friendly neighbours connection

jon

Thanks for the suggestion Jon, I'll look into it.
dw

Old May 10th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

dw wrote:
Have a look at http://solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna-58.htm ,
as you might be able to share one of your friendly neighbours
connection

jon

Thanks for the suggestion Jon, I'll look into it.
dw

Actually this link is better for starters
http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downlo...irelessiii.pdf

Jon

Old May 10th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

dw wrote:

I guess I could approach his neighbours, with a view to setting up a
wireless network, though I suspect the are on the same line.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

what does the www.bt.com/broadband checker say, does it mention "line
sharing device" at the bottom ?

If so, find a neighbour without a line sharing device.

Phil

Old May 10th 06, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Willy Sobigiterts

"dw" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hello all,
|
| Have been helping someone set up broadband on their line.
|
| Just received an email saying that the order has been cancelled because
| the engineering work needed on the line is deemed to expensive to carry
| out.
|
| Is this the end of the road or is it worth trying another provider? I'm
| guessing the former as BT are saying they are not prepared to carry out
| the work.
|
| I guess I could approach his neighbours, with a view to setting up a
| wireless network, though I suspect the are on the same line.
|
| Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
| TIA,
| dw

Try this, it's a little costly, but if you are 'dodgy' it will solve your
problem.
Place an order for 2 additional business telephone lines and state that they
must be broadband compatible (all you need to do is get them to put it on the
notes). You and I both know that they won't be able to do it without some
network re-arrangement or digging. When they finally come to provide the lines
and you have them working, call up and ask them what the hell they are playing
at, you did not order 2 lines..... fire the adsl up on the new line, when in,
cancel your existing line and ask to transfer the number to the other line. At
worst the exersize will cost you a couple of months line rental and some phone
calls.......

Had a situation not far from me where a farmer was told the same thing. In a
simular stunt he called BT and told them he wanted 20 business lines putting in
(knowing full well they could not provide them). Survey officers visited, are
you sure, are you sure, we want you to pay for them blah blah. He said he would
not pay a penny until they were up and running. The job took 2 months and
involved some 10 miles of new cable (100prs). On the day the final install was
to take place the customer said 'Ive changed my mind. I now only want one
broadband line, I have waited so long for BT I set my office up in town'. Read
in between the lines and you can work out what I am saying here......

What I will say is this. DON'T let BT in to fit any sockets or do any work until
they promise you the lines are there and working. If it ain't installed it can't
be paid for....

The limit on ADSL is 1000, which does not cover a first class flight for Ben
Verwaster to visit his wonderful Indian call centres, so don't feel guilty. be,
as BT would say 'Inspiring new possibilities'....