Plusnet email broken.... again!

Old May 10th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Default Plusnet email broken.... again!

Hi
Anybody else having problems with Plusnet email ?
Their service status page shows a variety of 'it's broken' messages
over the past 8 days - strong on platitudes but weak on actually
'fixing' things.

I sent a couple of test emails to myself via Plusnet at 11am
today..... and they've still not reappeared at 3pm .... and I'm
waiting on some important info that's being emailed to me. Maybe I
should get a cheapo 'hotmail'-type email - couldn't be any less
reliable, could it ??

Plusnet says delays 'could be up to a few hours' -
anybody know what's going on - I could email their support people -
but the answer would likely get stuck in the same place as all my
other emails !

Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old May 10th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Herber

On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:08:29 +0100, Adrian Brentnall adrian-the
papers and the wrote:

Hi
Anybody else having problems with Plusnet email ?

No problem here, just tested in and out - both fine.
(to and from Gradwell mail servers)

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.pherber.com/
Old May 10th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

AIUI Adrian, the comms team are writing an update to the problem as we
speak and I would imagine this will be posted to service status.

There is a possibility that mail could be delayed for more than a few
hours as there are still very high queues on our mailcores.

We know the source of the problem though and are working towards a long
term resolution.

Kind Regards,

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 10th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Davvid

On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:16:18 +0100, Davvid wrote:

wrote

Hi
Anybody else having problems with Plusnet email ?
Their service status page shows a variety of 'it's broken' messages
over the past 8 days - strong on platitudes but weak on actually
'fixing' things.

I sent a couple of test emails to myself via Plusnet at 11am
today..... and they've still not reappeared at 3pm .... and I'm
waiting on some important info that's being emailed to me. Maybe I
should get a cheapo 'hotmail'-type email - couldn't be any less
reliable, could it ??

Plusnet says delays 'could be up to a few hours' -
anybody know what's going on - I could email their support people -
but the answer would likely get stuck in the same place as all my
other emails !

Sorry chum, I don't believe any of this. There are numerous people
posting here who are rabid in their claims that pussnet never have a
problem and have given them perfect service since 1945.

You're obviously out to cause trouble by spreading disinformation about
pussnet. You can expect a backlash from all of pussnets poodles any
minute now.

I could live with the 'backlash' - if only I could get the darn emails
through....

Just had one message through (just after 5pm) that hit Plusnet's
servers at 10am - and none of my test emails from 11am have surfaced
either..... grrr !

And before anybody says it - yes, it's great that plusnet are so
upfront about their service status - but it'd be a great deal better
if they didn't take so long to fail to fix their email problems.

I have mailwasher running 24/7, pinging the email server at 10minute
intervals - and it's very common to find a whole page of
'not-responding' errors overnight - presumably while plusnet are
fiddling with their email servers...?

Very frustrating...

Old May 10th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Hi
Anybody else having problems with Plusnet email ?
Their service status page shows a variety of 'it's broken' messages
over the past 8 days - strong on platitudes but weak on actually
'fixing' things.

I sent a couple of test emails to myself via Plusnet at 11am
today..... and they've still not reappeared at 3pm .... and I'm
waiting on some important info that's being emailed to me. Maybe I
should get a cheapo 'hotmail'-type email - couldn't be any less
reliable, could it ??

Plusnet says delays 'could be up to a few hours' - anybody know what's
going on - I could email their support people -
but the answer would likely get stuck in the same place as all my
other emails !

Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

AIUI Adrian, the comms team are writing an update to the problem as we
speak and I would imagine this will be posted to service status.

There is a possibility that mail could be delayed for more than a few
hours as there are still very high queues on our mailcores.

We know the source of the problem though and are working towards a long
term resolution.

Kind Regards,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Training & Project Liaison Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc www.plus.net
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

Thanks for the update Bob, but where is it in the development queue with
respect to:

Dropped packets

Gaming performance issues

Web logs

Correcting User profiles

Fixing the VMBU

From the sidelines, it looks like the development team have lost the plot
somewhat?

I'm currently in the middle of a house purchase and have had to revert to
snail mail 'cos my solicitor has not yet received my responses sent
yesterday! What's the use of E-mail if you have to ring the recipient to
check if they've received the email (and yes, I do check the "Read receipt"
box.

Maurice

Old May 10th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Hi

On Wed, 10 May 2006 17:24:30 +0100, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Pardon me for being a tiny bit cynical - but will it be another of the

" We are aware of an ongoing issue, which is causing delays on some
email delivery times to our mail servers." -type messages. - 'cos they

Is this the same problem which didn't go away, or are plusnet having a
particularly bad time with email servers ??

There is a possibility that mail could be delayed for more than a few
hours as there are still very high queues on our mailcores.

With respect - it's not a 'possibility' - I know for certain that
there are three test messages from 'me' to 'me' stuck in there -
earliest one is 10:57 this morning - I make that 5 hours plus ! - and
counting......

We know the source of the problem though and are working towards a long
term resolution.

What would that be, I wonder ...?

a) decent hardware
b) better-trained engineering staff
c) better software
d) none of the above....?

Now I know that people will say that it's not a big deal, but I can't
understand why some ISPs seem to be able to run email without apparent
difficulty - and yet Plusnet seems to make such a meal of it ?

End of rant

So - any guess as to when things might be back to something like
usable.....???

Thanks
Adrian
Old May 10th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

HI Maurice

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Hi
Anybody else having problems with Plusnet email ?
Their service status page shows a variety of 'it's broken' messages
over the past 8 days - strong on platitudes but weak on actually
'fixing' things.

I sent a couple of test emails to myself via Plusnet at 11am
today..... and they've still not reappeared at 3pm .... and I'm
waiting on some important info that's being emailed to me. Maybe I
should get a cheapo 'hotmail'-type email - couldn't be any less
reliable, could it ??

Plusnet says delays 'could be up to a few hours' - anybody know what's
going on - I could email their support people -
but the answer would likely get stuck in the same place as all my
other emails !

Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

AIUI Adrian, the comms team are writing an update to the problem as we
speak and I would imagine this will be posted to service status.

There is a possibility that mail could be delayed for more than a few
hours as there are still very high queues on our mailcores.

We know the source of the problem though and are working towards a long
term resolution.

Kind Regards,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Training & Project Liaison Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc www.plus.net
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

Thanks for the update Bob, but where is it in the development queue with
respect to:

Dropped packets

Gaming performance issues

Web logs

Correcting User profiles

Fixing the VMBU

From the sidelines, it looks like the development team have lost the plot
somewhat?

I'm currently in the middle of a house purchase and have had to revert to
snail mail 'cos my solicitor has not yet received my responses sent
yesterday! What's the use of E-mail if you have to ring the recipient to
check if they've received the email (and yes, I do check the "Read receipt"
box.

You & me both.....
Currently waiting for a response from my purchaser....
..... and from overseas estate agents re my next purchase
...... and from the toerag who sold me a duff PC on eBay and lied about
the spec and delivery

All important stuff (to me) - and the reason why I pay premium rates
to plusnet in exchange for them carrying out the simple task of
delivering email for me.......!

Regards

Old May 10th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

This is the service bulletin

Service: Email
Subject: Incoming email Delays (Ref 31938) - Update

Since April 29th we have been experiencing higher volumes of inbound mail
than normal. This has caused intermittent message queues to form on a number
of our inbound mail servers, resulting in lengthy incoming mail delivery
delays for some mails sent to our customers.

We do understand the difficulties customers experience when mail is delayed,
especially over long periods of time. We assure you that our engineers have
been working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and we are
treating the ongoing nature of this problem very seriously indeed.

The mail queues on our platform are being managed carefully and are now
reducing. It is predicted that things will return to normal within the next
24 hours. Please note however that the nature of this problem makes the time
for a full resolution very difficult to predict accurately.

The increased level of inbound mail activity we have experienced has been
caused by a number of spamming groups who have actively targeted our mail
platform with a sustained spam attack. This is not the first time this has
happened and previously we put in place complex guards against this type of
attack. However, the spammers are highly organised and have developed new
techniques that we must now adapt our mail platform to cope with.

Up until now, we have deliberately accepted all mail, even if it comes from
ISPs who are listed as known spam sources. While that means legitimate mail
from customers of some ISPs gets through to our customers, it also means we
are accepting a lot of mail that other ISPs would reject at source. We are
making a number of changes to tighten up our approach on this and we believe
we can make both short and long term improvements to prevent the recurrence
of this type of issue in the future.

We will provide further updates tomorrow in relation to the current status
of the mail platform, and the changes we intend to make to combat the
spammers activities before we accept mail onto our platform.

Regards, Mand Beckett

What you should do is not be totally reliant on a single email provider. The
are a number of free ones that can be used for backup such as Gmail or
Yahoo. This works for me.

Peter Crosland