Speed accessing iTunes

Old May 10th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolleston

Default Speed accessing iTunes

First off, I've been pretty happy with Tiscali so far, so this is by no means
any kind of rant vs them. That said, something strange has been going on in
the last few days. Up until 12 at night iTMS access is miserably slow. It is
more or less impossible to listen to a sample, for instance, if I happen to
be lucky enough to get to that point. But at exactly 12 the connection to the
iTMS becomes excellent. I really couldn't say what the problem is when it is
slow, because the ping times are good and I'm getting good throughput when I
access most of my favourite websites. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

R.
Old May 10th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Rolleston" wrote in message

First off, I've been pretty happy with Tiscali so far, so this is by no
means
any kind of rant vs them. That said, something strange has been going on
in
the last few days. Up until 12 at night iTMS access is miserably slow. It
is
more or less impossible to listen to a sample, for instance, if I happen
be lucky enough to get to that point. But at exactly 12 the connection to
the
iTMS becomes excellent. I really couldn't say what the problem is when it
is
slow, because the ping times are good and I'm getting good throughput when
access most of my favourite websites. Any suggestions appreciated.

everyone else has gone to bed? ;-)

P.

Old May 10th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolleston

"Flyer" writes:
"Rolleston" wrote in message

First off, I've been pretty happy with Tiscali so far, so this is by no
means
any kind of rant vs them. That said, something strange has been going on
in
the last few days. Up until 12 at night iTMS access is miserably slow. It
is
more or less impossible to listen to a sample, for instance, if I happen
be lucky enough to get to that point. But at exactly 12 the connection to
the
iTMS becomes excellent. I really couldn't say what the problem is when it
is
slow, because the ping times are good and I'm getting good throughput when
access most of my favourite websites. Any suggestions appreciated.

everyone else has gone to bed? ;-)

The step change in throughput happens at exactly 0.00am every night, so
everyone would have to go to bed at the precisely the same time. Rather
unlikely, wouldn't you say?

R.
Old May 10th 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Rolleston" wrote in message
"Flyer" writes:
"Rolleston" wrote in message

[...]

personally, I go up around 11:30, so I would have to agree with you ;-)

More likely, Tiscali may be employing some traffic shaping that kicks out at
midnight.

P.

Old May 10th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolleston

"Flyer" writes:
More likely, Tiscali may be employing some traffic shaping that kicks out at
midnight.

That's what I suspect, but, one step at a time. How would I go about proving this?

Thanks,

R.
Old May 10th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

"Rolleston" wrote in message
"Flyer" writes:
More likely, Tiscali may be employing some traffic shaping that kicks

out at
midnight.

That's what I suspect, but, one step at a time. How would I go about

proving this?

You can't.
Look at the tiscali forums and the FUP
You're not alone.

John DH

Old May 11th 06, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Rolleston" wrote in message
"Flyer" writes:
More likely, Tiscali may be employing some traffic shaping that kicks out
at
midnight.

That's what I suspect, but, one step at a time. How would I go about
proving this?

I'm not sure it would do you any good if you could. Most AUP/FUP's have a
passage that reads "we reserve the right to manage our network to the
benefit of all" or words to that effect, if you get my drift. Someone else
suffering the same issue would at least support the theory of traffic
shaping though.
Have you mamanger to find out when it actually kicks in, rather than out?
6pm would seem a likely time.

P.

Old May 20th 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I have exactly the same issue however I have not tried accessing after
midnight will try that tonight though however this does appear to be
something to do with Tiscali. I am pretty sure of this because if i
connect to a VPN at my office and the use this tunnel to download from
i-tunes then the speed is as normal, Tiscali would not be able to shape
traffic within my VPN tunnel. I have tried reporting this to Tiscali
but unsurprisingly I have not received any help or reasonable
response.......