Voyager 105 with a Wireless Router

Old May 11th 06, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Voyager 105 with a Wireless Router

In order to connect my wireless ready Dell laptop, I recently bought a
Netgear Wireless Router, not realising that the BT Voyager 105 modem
only has a USB cable. I want to connect both my desktop and the laptop
to the broadband connection.

Is there anything I can do with this combination of equipment ? i.e. is
there a replacement cable that could connect the BT voyager 105 to the
Netgear router ? Is this where a network bridge comes into play...
could I keep the BT voyager connected to my desktop and somehow connect
the desktop to the router and then my laptop could access the internet
via the router/desktop ?

Many thanks.

Old May 11th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

wrote in message
ups.com...
In order to connect my wireless ready Dell laptop, I recently bought a
Netgear Wireless Router, not realising that the BT Voyager 105 modem
only has a USB cable. I want to connect both my desktop and the laptop
to the broadband connection.

Is there anything I can do with this combination of equipment ? i.e. is
there a replacement cable that could connect the BT voyager 105 to the
Netgear router ? Is this where a network bridge comes into play...
could I keep the BT voyager connected to my desktop and somehow connect
the desktop to the router and then my laptop could access the internet
via the router/desktop ?

Many thanks.

I would assume that your Netgear router has a built-in ADSL modem (there's
two types of router, one for ADSL and one for cable). If it has a built-in
ADSL modem, then you can remove the BT Voyager modem and replace it directly
with the Netgear.
What's the model number of the Netgear?

Old May 11th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

It's a Netgear WGR614 Cable/DSL and does not have a modem built in. So
I cannot ditch the BT Voyager 105 USB Modem... I was expecting to be
able to use the BT Voyager 105 with the Netgear Router. Can it be done
? Perhaps by connecting via the desktop, if not directly through the
router to modem ?

Old May 11th 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a Netgear WGR614 Cable/DSL and does not have a modem built in. So
I cannot ditch the BT Voyager 105 USB Modem... I was expecting to be
able to use the BT Voyager 105 with the Netgear Router. Can it be done
? Perhaps by connecting via the desktop, if not directly through the
router to modem ?

Have you just purchased the router? If so, it might be a good idea to go
back to the retailer and swap it for an ADSL router (like the Netgear
DG834G). To try an get the USB and router talking to each other would be a
nightmare as your PC does the connection through the dial-up software
(passes the username/password to the modem).
Personally speaking, I would purchase a router with an ADSL modem and the
flog the WGR614 on ebay.

Old May 12th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

OK, I was fearing this, but it seems the best approach.

Many thanks.