BT Text on a Voipfone line?

Old May 11th 06, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steven Sumpter

Default BT Text on a Voipfone line?

This morning I was woken up by a series of calls from 08456021111. When I
eventually answered it, (On the fourth call to my phone) it claimed to be
BT delivering text messages and that I had 10 messages from a mobile
number I didn't recognise.

Since this is a Voipfone line, I can't see how this is anything other than
a scam but I have no idea what anyone could gain from it. Can BT really
deliver voice texts to a Voipfone line?

Steve.

Old May 11th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Steven Sumpter wrote:
This morning I was woken up by a series of calls from 08456021111. When I
eventually answered it, (On the fourth call to my phone) it claimed to be
BT delivering text messages and that I had 10 messages from a mobile
number I didn't recognise.

Since this is a Voipfone line, I can't see how this is anything other than
a scam but I have no idea what anyone could gain from it. Can BT really
deliver voice texts to a Voipfone line?

Steve.

It certainly sounds interesting. I know that Sipgate lines don't accept
SMS messages (a good thing IMHO, I have it turned off on the BT line as
well, SMS is for mobiles not landlines..!

Ivor

Old May 11th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:00:16 GMT, Steven Sumpter
wrote:

This morning I was woken up by a series of calls from 08456021111. When I
eventually answered it, (On the fourth call to my phone) it claimed to be
BT delivering text messages and that I had 10 messages from a mobile
number I didn't recognise.

Since this is a Voipfone line, I can't see how this is anything other than
a scam but I have no idea what anyone could gain from it. Can BT really
deliver voice texts to a Voipfone line?

Steve.

Yes absolutely - no doubt!
Try sending one yourself and you will see that it does work.
The BT service converts text to voice. Voice can then go to any phone
- why not!

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 11th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steven Sumpter

On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:59:28 +0000, Brian A wrote:

Yes absolutely - no doubt!
Try sending one yourself and you will see that it does work.

I just sent a text from my Orange mobile to my Voipfone number and it did
indeed work.

The BT service converts text to voice. Voice can then go to any phone
- why not!

Well for a start, it seems strange that BT would deliver messages to a
number not provided by BT.

Oh, and bad news Ivor - it worked to my sipgate number too.

Steve.

Old May 11th 06, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

Steven Sumpter wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:59:28 +0000, Brian A wrote:

Yes absolutely - no doubt!
Try sending one yourself and you will see that it does work.

I just sent a text from my Orange mobile to my Voipfone number and it did
indeed work.

The BT service converts text to voice. Voice can then go to any phone
- why not!

Well for a start, it seems strange that BT would deliver messages to a
number not provided by BT.

Oh, and bad news Ivor - it worked to my sipgate number too.

Steve.

Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone
Old May 11th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mark" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone

Interesting, it didn't work when I tried it, but admittedly it was a while
ago when text to speech first came in. Is there a way to turn it off..?

Ivor

Old May 11th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:48:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.uk

[snip]

Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone

Interesting, it didn't work when I tried it, but admittedly it was a while
ago when text to speech first came in. Is there a way to turn it off..?

Ivor

I didn't realise that this facility wasn't general knowledge. I've
been using it for some time now but I find that recipients are a bit
dubious about the messages they receive - 'what you don't inderstand
you fear'. I guess that BT will get some of the rake off for
processing the text ??
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 11th 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Brian A:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:48:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone

Interesting, it didn't work when I tried it, but admittedly it was a
while ago when text to speech first came in. Is there a way to turn
it off..?

Ivor

I didn't realise that this facility wasn't general knowledge. I've
been using it for some time now but I find that recipients are a bit
dubious about the messages they receive - 'what you don't inderstand
you fear'. I guess that BT will get some of the rake off for
processing the text ??
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

It's always worked on my Sipgate line.

The Telewest service is actually the BT service, they service centre numbers
you use are those of BT.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old May 12th 06, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Seems to have worked since start of month on sipgate and voipfone.

0800 587 52 52 Is the BT Text Options line.
Old May 12th 06, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

It's always worked on my Sipgate line.

It didn't work on mine when I tried it, what's more I don't want it to. It
can be turned off on a BT line via an 0800 number, but how do I turn it
off on a Sipgate number..? Assuming it now works, I haven't tried it
again.

Ivor