Pipex-Are They OK?

Old May 11th 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Norman

Default Pipex-Are They OK?

Just about to end my year with Talk Talk and looking at various options.
Anyone care to recommend Pipex? Seems to be a good price for the BB and
phone? Or any other recommendations for aro8und that price level?

Unrelated but with isp's that have a cap is it uploaded and downloaded data
that counts towards your cap or just downloaded?

regards
Norman

Old May 11th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gozer the Destructor

"Norman" wrote in message
Just about to end my year with Talk Talk and looking at various options.
Anyone care to recommend Pipex? Seems to be a good price for the BB and
phone? Or any other recommendations for aro8und that price level?

Unrelated but with isp's that have a cap is it uploaded and downloaded
data that counts towards your cap or just downloaded?

I've had no problems with pipex at all... I don't beleve they have a cap on
any service they offer.

Old May 11th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

I used them for a short time in 2004 when BB first became available on my
exchange. Sign-up process no problem. Connection set up at correct time but
didn't work properly! Nightmare getting any assistance from them on the
technical side - several emails written - average response time about 10
days! Technical support phone calls made - pot luck if you get someone
without hanging for a very long time. Even then not very helpful (general as
opposed to specific advice). Wrote by recorded delivery threatening to
cancel - nothing heard. Cancelled and suddenly they couldn't do enough to
persuade me not to do so! Even though I incurred a cancellation charge I
still cancelled out of disgust at their appalling after-sales and technical
service. Pity, because they used to be a decent firm in the early days of
dial-up internet. May have improved 18 months later? I've no idea but I'll
not deal with them even though they are cheap.

Paul

NB. The problem was probably down to a faulty free modem - when I tried
another make it worked fine! Speeds excellent and system very good - but
technical assistance if you have a problem was in my experience appalling!

Old May 11th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

"Norman" wrote in message
Just about to end my year with Talk Talk and looking at various options.
Anyone care to recommend Pipex? Seems to be a good price for the BB and
phone? Or any other recommendations for aro8und that price level?

Unrelated but with isp's that have a cap is it uploaded and downloaded
data that counts towards your cap or just downloaded?

regards
Norman

Can I ask why you are leaving the ISP that people seem to be clambering for
? Is it down to poor service, download limits or what ?

Gio

Old May 11th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Pipex are okay, but if you're planning to use the webspace they provide as
part of the package, don't bother.

Old May 11th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 May 2006, "Gio" wrote:

Can I ask why you are leaving the ISP that people seem to be clambering for?
Is it down to poor service, download limits or what ?

I guess the majority "clambouring for it" are attracted by the "free" tag
and the voice calls offer, without any understanding that they will be a
little more remote from BT's fault reports (having to go via the TT CS,
which will not be fun if they are coping with many hundred thousand new
customers, on top of many thousands of existing Carphone Warehouse users).
Old May 11th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I've had no problems with pipex at all... I don't beleve they have a cap on
any service they offer.

They do - 1Gb on the cheapest contracts
Old May 11th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

"poster" wrote in message
On 11 May 2006, "Gio" wrote:

Can I ask why you are leaving the ISP that people seem to be clambering
for?
Is it down to poor service, download limits or what ?

I guess the majority "clambouring for it" are attracted by the "free" tag
and the voice calls offer, without any understanding that they will be a
little more remote from BT's fault reports (having to go via the TT CS,
which will not be fun if they are coping with many hundred thousand new
customers, on top of many thousands of existing Carphone Warehouse users).

oop's sorry about that, spelling getting worse with old age :-)

Gio

Old May 11th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Just about to end my year with Talk Talk and looking at various options.
Anyone care to recommend Pipex? Seems to be a good price for the BB and
phone? Or any other recommendations for aro8und that price level?

They "used" to be good - that is to say i`m still with them, but now
think twice before recommending them. I`ve had very few issues as far as
reliability is concerned* but the cost to performance ratio is now quite
high.

* they recently rejigged their web servers as offered as part of the
packages - and its now complete sh*te - they appear to be running some
sort of transparent proxy service which still serves up old data despite
you changing it, and JPG support is *still* f*cked 3 weeks down the line
(corrupted images - re-uploading does not resolve the issue !)

Did someone mention "doing a Demon" ? :-/

Unrelated but with isp's that have a cap is it uploaded and downloaded data
that counts towards your cap or just downloaded?

AFAIK its simply classed as data traffic, but I could be wrong. For most
people, the uploaded data probably only accounts for 5-10% of their
downloaded data.
Old May 11th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Moore

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:12:42 +0100, "Gozer the Destructor"
wrote:

I don't beleve they have a cap on
any service they offer.

They bandwidth limit their usenet server(s) to 20KB and two
simultaneous connections. I believe they also traffic manage anyone
using peer to peer (anyone not bright enough to use an encrypting
client, anyway).

I don't use p2p, but the usenet limit is sometimes annoying. Not
annoying enough to make me fork out for a separate usenet service
though.