Teenager Access

Old May 11th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
pipkins56

Default Teenager Access

I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i need
to install control software on each computer or can i see where they
are browsing by logging into the router.

Would prefer to control by reasoned discussion rather than dictatorial
control hence the need for viewing what they are looking at but at the
end of the day need to know.

I have some PC knowlege but limited to amateur status!! Evesham and IBM
PC's running xp with a netgear router

Any advice welcome

Old May 12th 06, 05:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
StsLived

"pipkins56" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i need
to install control software on each computer or can i see where they
are browsing by logging into the router.

Would prefer to control by reasoned discussion rather than dictatorial
control hence the need for viewing what they are looking at but at the
end of the day need to know.

I have some PC knowlege but limited to amateur status!! Evesham and IBM
PC's running xp with a netgear router

Any advice welcome

you gonna try to control a
teenager............hahahahahhahahhhehhehehehhe... ......... you'll be the
first.

Old May 12th 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

pipkins56 wrote:
I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i need
to install control software on each computer or can i see where they
are browsing by logging into the router.

No , you would need to either install some surf-control type software on
each PC or set yours up as a proxy server so that all the traffic has to go
through your machine.

Normal domestic routers don't have the ability to log traffic

--
Alex - posting using all 64 bits in widescreen :0)

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old May 12th 06, 01:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article .com
pipkins56 wrote:
I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i need
to install control software on each computer or can i see where they
are browsing by logging into the router.

Would prefer to control by reasoned discussion rather than dictatorial
control hence the need for viewing what they are looking at but at the
end of the day need to know.

An easy way to do it is to block their access through the router - run a
proxy on another machine that they can connect through, then you can
access the proxy logs.
Old May 12th 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

In roups.com within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'pipkins56' wrote:

I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i need
to install control software on each computer or can i see where they
are browsing by logging into the router.

Sounds like they need an encrypted link out to a nice safe proxy so that
they can do their own thing without parental spying.

Dave J.
Old May 12th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Stevens

"pipkins56" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i need
to install control software on each computer or can i see where they
are browsing by logging into the router.

Would prefer to control by reasoned discussion rather than dictatorial
control hence the need for viewing what they are looking at but at the
end of the day need to know.

I have some PC knowlege but limited to amateur status!! Evesham and IBM
PC's running xp with a netgear router

Any advice welcome

Hi,

How exactly do you want to monitor? Do you just need to see a log of web
addresses? Or would you prefer real time monitoring, ie, watching their
activity in real time?

Option1, I'd recommend a proxy access system, but that would need a master
PC switched on 24/7 as the proxy access and logging system.

Option2, The other option would be to install software in their individual
PCs directly that monitors all activity and logs it to a secret log file.
You could then (when required) download the data from their PC to yours
(down the network without their knowledge) and view the logs on your PC.
That would probably be your best bet. You can also do the same with MSN
chat logs, if you want to know what or who they are communicating with.

If I was you I would choose the second option, unless you run a webserver or
have another reason to have a PC switched on 24/7. Option 1 would require a
PC to run 24/7 as they would access EVERYTHING via that PC proxy server on
the network.

Just for interest, is your router a DG834G?

Old May 12th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nut

pipkins56 wrote:
I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i need
to install control software on each computer or can i see where they
are browsing by logging into the router.

There's no easy way... regardless of their techie knowledge, one of their
friends on MSN will tell them how to get round anything you put in place
locally on their computers... if you want to do it properly you'll need to
set up another PC between the router and their computers to act as a proxy.
AFAIK, if you want free software, you'll need to delve into the muddy waters
of Linux.. i don't think there's any free, reliable software for windows.

Any kind of key logger is an invasion of their privacy IMO... you could try
"Perfect Key Logger Lite" which is free, but i really don't recommend it. I
tried it once on a whim and i found myself reading stuff which was none of
my business, even as a father... i felt very guilty about reading his
personal communications and thoughts - albeit very briefly - before i closed
it and uninstalled.

Would prefer to control by reasoned discussion rather than dictatorial
control hence the need for viewing what they are looking at but at the
end of the day need to know.

I agree with you - the best way is to speak to them and explain that, if
they abuse your trust, you'll remove net access... then regularly check
their IE history, temp files, etc... you will need to make two rules
though - firstly, that the history is set to 2 weeks and that they never
clear the history cache and secondly, that they don't install a 3rd party
browser such as Firefox.

If they're running it, you'll find the majority of abuse takes place on MSN
Messenger... but that's a whole new bucket of worms... despite my kids
promising to behave, i'm constantly seeing very foul language inbound from
their friends and am on the verge of removing it completely.

Old May 12th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nut

Dave J. wrote:
In roups.com within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'pipkins56' wrote:

I have a home network where both my teenage daughters have their own
computers all connected to the internet via wireless router. Do i
need to install control software on each computer or can i see where
they are browsing by logging into the router.

Sounds like they need an encrypted link out to a nice safe proxy so
that they can do their own thing without parental spying.

Agreed - it's an invasion of privacy and should be discouraged.

I recommend the "good talking to" route rather than spying... or some kind
of control which blocks without logging.

Old May 12th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nick

well if you have access to their pc's you can check browser history, etc.

and you can block certain keywords on the router. (DG834GT can anyway)

Old May 12th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
pipkins56

Thanks

The best advice, agreeeing beforehand what i am going to do and
ensuring that they stick to it fortunately for me although not with
all kids I accept this will work.

I agree MSN messanger is the most problematic, already agreed with
eldest she's only allowed to use it on non-school nights and grades
went from C+ average to B+ in half a term!!!

Have concluded cannot police it without reading all communication which
do not want to do hence limit on when and where.