MB/hour on SIP voip and Skype

Old May 12th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default MB/hour on SIP voip and Skype

Has anyone got any figures of typical download/hour for both SIP voip
and Skype?
I realise that SIP voip will depend on the protocol. Further, how much
download on Sype with and without video?
I have seen wide and varying figures for both Sype and SIP voip but,
perhaps, we might get a more definitive answer here.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 12th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Brian A wrote:
Has anyone got any figures of typical download/hour for both SIP voip
and Skype?

http://www.newport-networks.com/page...alculator.html

Will let you calculate the bandwidth for various codecs.

One thing to remember is that the amount of IP and ethernet overhead is
significant compared to the amount of audio data.

I have no idea about Sykpe. Sorry.

Tim
Old May 12th 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 12 May 2006 13:08:28 +0100, Tim wrote:

Brian A wrote:
Has anyone got any figures of typical download/hour for both SIP voip
and Skype?

http://www.newport-networks.com/page...alculator.html

Will let you calculate the bandwidth for various codecs.

One thing to remember is that the amount of IP and ethernet overhead is
significant compared to the amount of audio data.

I have no idea about Sykpe. Sorry.

Tim

Thanks for that Tim. Also, for quick calculation I found a unit
converter here.
http://tinyurl.com/pyeyh
OK thats SIP voip taken care of....
Now, what about the SKYPE download with and without video?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 12th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Brian A wrote:
Has anyone got any figures of typical download/hour for both SIP voip
and Skype?

http://www.newport-networks.com/page...alculator.html

Will let you calculate the bandwidth for various codecs.

One thing to remember is that the amount of IP and ethernet overhead is
significant compared to the amount of audio data.

I have no idea about Sykpe. Sorry.

Tim

Thanks for that Tim. Also, for quick calculation I found a unit
converter here.
http://tinyurl.com/pyeyh
OK thats SIP voip taken care of....
Now, what about the SKYPE download with and without video?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

I have made a calculation from information on Skype forums etc.
It seems to come out at:-
About 2MB/hour idle.
Up to 30MB/hour voice only
Up to 56MB/hour video and voice.
Does anyone dispute this?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 12th 06, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
lab

About 2MB/hour idle.
Up to 30MB/hour voice only
Up to 56MB/hour video and voice.

The video and voice seems a low to me, even with out overheads etc, thats a
128Kilobit a second (or 64kilobit each direction), you might get a very low
quality stuttering video on that, but i would expect most people to push
double/triple that figure.