Stable Speed Here

Old May 13th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Default Stable Speed Here

PlusNet have upgraded me to ADSL Max.

I waited patiently for the 10 day time to arrive.

Smoothwall says:

May 2 18:30:48 ADSL line is up (8096 kbit/s down | 448 kbit/s up)
May 5 16:42:50 ADSL line is up (7936 kbit/s down | 448 kbit/s up)
May 6 00:38:46 ADSL line is up (8096 kbit/s down | 448 kbit/s up)
May 9 14:45:22 ADSL line is up (8128 kbit/s down | 448 kbit/s up)
May 11 10:37:11 ADSL line is up (8064 kbit/s down | 448 kbit/s up)
May 12 22:35:00 ADSL line is up (7744 kbit/s down | 448 kbit/s up)
May 13 11:46:29 ADSL line is up (7936 kbit/s down | 448 kbit/s up)

So it's syncing fine as far as I can tell.

But according to the PlusNet speed tester, ADSL Guide speed check, even
downloading Linux ISO's from HTTP, I only get about 2600kbps download.
BT Speedtest is even worse, averaging out about 1700. I am on the CMSPR
(Springfield) exchange in Birmingham, but Virtual Paths checkout OK as
status "Green". Plusnet report my stable rate as 7500. They also report
a suggested line speed of 6 Mbps to 8 Mbps. Here are some of the
download speed reported on Plusnet portal:

10-05-2006 13:12:41 2586.9
09-05-2006 14:47:30 2612.8
08-05-2006 18:22:52 2638.9
07-05-2006 16:55:39 2344.7
07-05-2006 10:28:12 2643.4
06-05-2006 20:10:11 1727.1

I've just changed the filter, but no good. Removed phones. No good.

Setup, Alcatel USB "Frog" modem, on a Linux Smoothwall that serves the
rest of the network using a 10 Mbps network card.

It's connected to a telephone exension upstairs, which is a solid core
type wire from the master extension.

Anything there that suggests a problem? Im unable to get details of SNR
etc, as its a Modem. And I can't fiddle around much with computers
because my leg is in a cast after rupturing my quads tendon. So I can't
move my server closer to the master extension.

Look forward to ideas.

Thanks
Simon

Old May 13th 06, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Simon Dean wrote:
[...]

Hi Simon,

What speed is displayed here?
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

That is taken directly from the line speed delta reports from BT so if
it says 2500 or 3000 or something like that then unfortunately that is
what BT will have profiled your line to.

If this is the case then I would powercycle your equipment once a day
for 5 days or so and see if the situation improves.

If it does not then you may want to notify us so we can test the line.

Regards,

Old May 13th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

What speed is displayed here?
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

That is taken directly from the line speed delta reports from BT so if it
says 2500 or 3000 or something like that then unfortunately that is what
BT will have profiled your line to.

If this is the case then I would powercycle your equipment once a day for
5 days or so and see if the situation improves.

If it does not then you may want to notify us so we can test the line.

Well Bob here is the $64,000 question! Are BT artifically limiting the line
speed in some way regardless of the sync speed? My Sync speed is around 3800
but I am getting speed test results very similar to Simon and the stable
speed reported is 2500. BTW what is a Dleta report?

Peter Crosland

Old May 13th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

What speed is displayed here?
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

That is taken directly from the line speed delta reports from BT so if
it says 2500 or 3000 or something like that then unfortunately that is
what BT will have profiled your line to.

I am not sure this can be relied upon. When I go there it says my
connection speed is 2000 but I have not been upgraded and am still on a
512KB/sec service.

Old May 13th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:

[...]

It now says 7000. I don't know whether you noticed, but I did say
originally you reported my stable rate at 7500.

And Hi Bob. Still waiting for your responses under the Feedback group. I
am hoping this is more of a general problem that what PlusNet can do so
I thought I'd ask here...

That is taken directly from the line speed delta reports from BT so if
it says 2500 or 3000 or something like that then unfortunately that is
what BT will have profiled your line to.

That's not the case. It's 7000.

If this is the case then I would powercycle your equipment once a day
for 5 days or so and see if the situation improves.

If it does not then you may want to notify us so we can test the line.

I was already half way through running the Broadband Fault Checker, but
to no avail. I got to leaving comments, and then it said "We were unable
to complete your requested action. This may be the result of a temporary
fault. Please try again in a few minutes."

Now your stupid system wants me to disable my firewall and forward every
single port straight through to my computer, and disable all my software
firewalls. Erm not too happy about that.

I do have a ticket under Ticket: 19373649 regarding this problem. I can
post a new ticket giving all these details again if you want? But four
and a half hours later, no one has responded to this ticket so...

Thanks
Simon
Old May 13th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Peter Crosland wrote:

Well Bob here is the $64,000 question! Are BT artifically limiting the line
speed in some way regardless of the sync speed? My Sync speed is around 3800
but I am getting speed test results very similar to Simon and the stable
speed reported is 2500. BTW what is a Dleta report?

Peter Crosland

Unfortunately my stable rate is reported as 7000. Im syncing about 8000.
Yet Im only getting about 2500 in real downloads. So it's all a pile of
poo. Slightly different situation to yours therefore, and that 2500
that's reported by BT as your stable rate would therefore explain your
download speeds. But Im having trouble explaining mine.

Cya
Simon
Old May 13th 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Well Bob here is the $64,000 question! Are BT artifically limiting the
line speed in some way regardless of the sync speed? My Sync speed is
around 3800 but I am getting speed test results very similar to Simon and
the stable speed reported is 2500. BTW what is a Dleta report?

Unfortunately my stable rate is reported as 7000. Im syncing about 8000.
Yet Im only getting about 2500 in real downloads. So it's all a pile of
poo. Slightly different situation to yours therefore, and that 2500 that's
reported by BT as your stable rate would therefore explain your download
speeds. But Im having trouble explaining mine.

Thanks for that Simon. I was trying to highlight the point you were making.
I can't help feeling that my stable rate should be around 3500. The reason I
say this is that my router quite happily remains connected at 3800 for 30
hours or more. If that is not stable then what is? It just seems to me that
the way BT is managing the speeds is deeply flawed and needs sorting. The
problem is with a de facto monopoly on the majority of their exchanges how
does Plusnet pressure them into action? I don't see BT have any incnetive at
all to do so.

Peter Crosland

Old May 13th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Simon Dean wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:

Well Bob here is the $64,000 question! Are BT artifically limiting the
line speed in some way regardless of the sync speed? My Sync speed is
around 3800 but I am getting speed test results very similar to Simon
and the stable speed reported is 2500. BTW what is a Dleta report?

Peter Crosland

Unfortunately my stable rate is reported as 7000. Im syncing about 8000.
Yet Im only getting about 2500 in real downloads. So it's all a pile of
poo. Slightly different situation to yours therefore, and that 2500
that's reported by BT as your stable rate would therefore explain your
download speeds. But Im having trouble explaining mine.

Cya
Simon

Ah, missed that bit in your original post.

You're account checks out OK and the most recent delta report shows 7000
and that was sent today.

Perhaps some BT Speedtests might be in order:
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Regards,

Old May 13th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter Crosland wrote:
What speed is displayed here?
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

That is taken directly from the line speed delta reports from BT so if it
says 2500 or 3000 or something like that then unfortunately that is what
BT will have profiled your line to.

If this is the case then I would powercycle your equipment once a day for
5 days or so and see if the situation improves.

If it does not then you may want to notify us so we can test the line.

Well Bob here is the $64,000 question! Are BT artifically limiting the line
speed in some way regardless of the sync speed? My Sync speed is around 3800
but I am getting speed test results very similar to Simon and the stable
speed reported is 2500. BTW what is a Dleta report?

Peter Crosland

Delta reports are sent by BT and represent the line profiling they apply
at the bRAS. You are correct to assume this limits the throughput at BTs
side. We use these reports to set the speed at our side so as not to try
and push too much down the line so to speak as it can lead to packet
loss for time sensitive apps. The fact that you are syncing at 3800 but
only getting 2500 as your bRAS rate isn't unusual.

I sync at about 5000 and my throughput is 3500

Regards,

Old May 13th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Beck wrote:
PlusNet Support Team wrote:

What speed is displayed here?
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

That is taken directly from the line speed delta reports from BT so if
it says 2500 or 3000 or something like that then unfortunately that is
what BT will have profiled your line to.

I am not sure this can be relied upon. When I go there it says my
connection speed is 2000 but I have not been upgraded and am still on a
512KB/sec service.

Yes, by default it is set to 2MB. This is nothing to worry about as the
figure isn't really relevant until you are moved over to Max.

Regards,