Sipgate codecs

Old May 13th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Sipgate codecs

Hi

I am using a Dreytek Vigor 2600VG with two SIP providers. Sipgate and
Sipdiscount. I experience a lot of lost packets on my ADSL connection
(always have done and there's nothing that can be done about it). The
lost packets obviously cause some interruption and disconnections of
VOIP. At G.711A lost packets are obvious and at G.729A/B they are a
lot less obvious.

I have switched my router to G.729A/B (packet size 10ms) and the
Sipdiscount account works fine. However, each time a Sipgate call is
connected, the router switches to G.711A for the duration of the call.
It's as if Sipgate forces G.711A.

I am trying to find out a work around for this problem as I am
reluctant to change my router and everyone knows my Sipgate number.

Anyway for force G.729A/B with Sipgate?

Chris

Old May 13th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

I'm not sure if they support it.

I use gsm myself, but i dont think many hardware devices support this..
I use asterisk
Old May 13th 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

wrote:
Hi

I am using a Dreytek Vigor 2600VG with two SIP providers. Sipgate and
Sipdiscount. I experience a lot of lost packets on my ADSL connection
(always have done and there's nothing that can be done about it).

Sounds strange, if there was nothing that could be done about it, I'd
move to cable. (or in my case to ADSL).

The
lost packets obviously cause some interruption and disconnections of
VOIP. At G.711A lost packets are obvious and at G.729A/B they are a
lot less obvious.

I have switched my router to G.729A/B (packet size 10ms)

With a 10ms packet size, the packet overhead will be a greater size than
the audio data contained on G.729A/B.

and the
Sipdiscount account works fine. However, each time a Sipgate call is
connected, the router switches to G.711A for the duration of the call.
It's as if Sipgate forces G.711A.

Don't offer it the choice, (assuming you can do this with a 2600VG).
Sipgate do support G.729a, but have 711a, 711u at the start in the
preference order. If your router only offers 729a, then that's what it
will connect at.

I am trying to find out a work around for this problem as I am
reluctant to change my router and everyone knows my Sipgate number.

Anyway for force G.729A/B with Sipgate?

As with all providers (that I've played with), this needs to be done
with the router.

Chris

Old May 13th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am using a Dreytek Vigor 2600VG with two SIP providers. Sipgate and
Sipdiscount. I experience a lot of lost packets on my ADSL connection
(always have done and there's nothing that can be done about it). The
lost packets obviously cause some interruption and disconnections of
VOIP. At G.711A lost packets are obvious and at G.729A/B they are a
lot less obvious.

I have switched my router to G.729A/B (packet size 10ms) and the
Sipdiscount account works fine. However, each time a Sipgate call is
connected, the router switches to G.711A for the duration of the call.
It's as if Sipgate forces G.711A.

I am trying to find out a work around for this problem as I am
reluctant to change my router and everyone knows my Sipgate number.

Anyway for force G.729A/B with Sipgate?

Chris

I have a 2900vg, basically the same router but for cable. Also having the
same problems (but me wanting to use g729 is for bandwidth purposes rather
then packet loss)- no matter what codec I tell it to use, it seems to prefer
to use what sipgate tell it to. I have a grandstream ata aswell and it does
the same. I was planning on asking in the draytek support forum as I think
the device has to be told to insist on using the codec you specify and not
whichever one the provider prefers.

Alex

Old May 13th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am using a Dreytek Vigor 2600VG with two SIP providers. Sipgate and
Sipdiscount. I experience a lot of lost packets on my ADSL connection
(always have done and there's nothing that can be done about it). The
lost packets obviously cause some interruption and disconnections of
VOIP. At G.711A lost packets are obvious and at G.729A/B they are a
lot less obvious.

I have switched my router to G.729A/B (packet size 10ms) and the
Sipdiscount account works fine. However, each time a Sipgate call is
connected, the router switches to G.711A for the duration of the call.
It's as if Sipgate forces G.711A.

I am trying to find out a work around for this problem as I am
reluctant to change my router and everyone knows my Sipgate number.

Anyway for force G.729A/B with Sipgate?

I think you will find you can't, You can only use a codec if it is supported
by both ends, I am pretty sure SIPGate don't support G729
where as Sipdiscount does.
The reason I am guessing is licensing, G711 is an open free codec, G729 is
not and requires a license for each channel, this is why
Asterisk and another of free softphones don't offer G729 codec foc. my guess
is Sipgate calculated it was cheaper to have higher bandwidth bills of
G711 than buy the required licenses

Old May 13th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

RH wrote:
I think you will find you can't, You can only use a codec if it is supported
by both ends, I am pretty sure SIPGate don't support G729
where as Sipdiscount does.

Sipgate *do* definately support G.729, there was a small problem for a
short time after they changed the server, but it's been working ever since.
Old May 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"RH" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

I think you will find you can't, You can only use a codec if it is
supported
by both ends, I am pretty sure SIPGate don't support G729
where as Sipdiscount does.
The reason I am guessing is licensing, G711 is an open free codec, G729 is
not and requires a license for each channel, this is why
Asterisk and another of free softphones don't offer G729 codec foc. my
guess
is Sipgate calculated it was cheaper to have higher bandwidth bills of
G711 than buy the required licenses

That would sound like a fair enough reason, but it seems sipgate have dug
into their pockets and paid for some licensing, from the help section of
their website:

10. Which codecs and signaling protocols does sipgate support? sipgate uses
and supports the following codecs:

a.. G.729

a.. G.711

a.. iLBC

a.. GSM

a.. G726

It seems like they prefer you to use g711, which is why both my devices seem
to switch to it... which then gets me calls breaking up as I've not got
enough uploading bandwidth for that and pc usage!

Old May 13th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Alex wrote:

It seems like they prefer you to use g711, which is why both my devices seem
to switch to it... which then gets me calls breaking up as I've not got
enough uploading bandwidth for that and pc usage!

Sadly, in the negotiaion, they're probably getting priority (not
unreasonably).

If your router can be made to not advertise that it supports other
codecs, you should be fine.
Old May 13th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 13 May 2006 04:56:31 -0700, "
wrote:

I experience a lot of lost packets on my ADSL connection
(always have done and there's nothing that can be done about it).

I doubt it. I started seeing lost packets, and my ADSL supplier
Eclipse tried to make out that it was at my end, and would do nothing
to investigate. So I switched to Zen. No more lost packets: the
problem was gone immediately, and all I'd changed was the username and
password in the modem/router.

Lost packets could be very bad on VOIP - what if that packet was
telling the call to hang up?

Codecs for voip.co.uk Sam Jones uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 26 March 10th 06 09:09 PM
sipgate SK uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 September 8th 05 07:24 PM
Just Dial VoIP Codecs sean uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 12 August 19th 05 05:28 PM
Sipgate again JuliusP uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 26 July 16th 05 12:59 AM