Help required interpreting ADSL line results

Old May 13th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

Default Help required interpreting ADSL line results

I'm trying to get to the bottom of an intermittent disconnection problem
with my ADSL line. It was changed from 2mbs to 8mbs a few weeks ago, by
Eclipse Internet and I believe it's been disconnecting regularly since that
time.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up
Time
WAN PPPoA 3 5 0 2 8 00:00:14
LAN 100M/Full 259 155 0 1338 401 00:01:02

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 26 db
Noise Margin 4 db 23 db

Thanks

Old May 13th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Matt wrote:
I'm trying to get to the bottom of an intermittent disconnection problem

WAN PPPoA 3 5 0 2 8 00:00:14
LAN 100M/Full 259 155 0 1338 401 00:01:02

been connected a whole 14 seconds !

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 26 db
Noise Margin 4 db 23 db

44 dB attenuation is outside BT's fixed speed 2M limit, so you're doing
very well to get 8128k at that distance.

Your low SNR margin of 4 dB suggests it may be unstable, do you have
any error counters like CRC errors, errored seconds, etc ? Watch these
over a period of time - a few an hour is OK, hundreds isn't.

Ideally BT's kit should spot your disconnections, adopt a higher target
noise margin and consequently run at a lower speed with more stability.
This might take a day or two, the more unstable it is the faster it
reacts.

Phil
Report your MaxDSL experiences at
http://www.ezquestionnaire.com/surve...t.asp?SID=2529

Old May 13th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

been connected a whole 14 seconds !

Yes, that's about average at the moment!

44 dB attenuation is outside BT's fixed speed 2M limit, so you're doing
very well to get 8128k at that distance.

I am quite surprised, especially since I'm miles from anywhere. The nearest
"village" with an exchange is over two miles away.

Your low SNR margin of 4 dB suggests it may be unstable, do you have
any error counters like CRC errors, errored seconds, etc ? Watch these
over a period of time - a few an hour is OK, hundreds isn't.

I don't know how to obtain that kind of information. My DSL router is a
Netgear DG834 and the snapshot I gave is all I can find.

I have been looking at the router's settings however. They've been like
this since October but could I ask if someone can say if they look correct?

Encapsulation PPP over ATM
Multiplexing VC-Based
VPI 0
VCI 38

Old May 13th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Matt wrote:

I don't know how to obtain that kind of information. My DSL router is a
Netgear DG834 and the snapshot I gave is all I can find.

its a bit limited with stats.

In time the BT kit may spot your predicament and turn on interleaving,
and then increase the SNR margin and reduce the speed. You might
trigger it into action (allegedly) by either an unfiltered phone to
make it sync at a lower speed.

If that doesn't work your options are to get the ISP to have BT
intervene and increae the target margin. Another option is to get some
kit that allows you to limit the downstream rate or tweak the SNR
margin up (Belkin 7633 for instance).

I have been looking at the router's settings however. They've been like
this since October but could I ask if someone can say if they look correct?

Encapsulation PPP over ATM
Multiplexing VC-Based
VPI 0
VCI 38

they're all fine for BT IPstream.

Old May 13th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

Thanks for your help on this Phil

I've just swapped the ADSL router with a Draytek unit and have managed to get more than three minutes' use. The Draytek has more information available. Not sure if you'll get this HTML below...

System Status
System Uptime: 0:8:52

LAN Status Primary DNS 212.104.130.9 Secondary DNS 212.104.130.65
IP Address TX Packets RX Packets
192.1.1.100 4954 3887

WAN Status GW IP Addr 212.104.130.224
Mode IP Address TX Packets TX Rate RX Packets RX Rate Up Time
PPPoA 82.153.19.251 920 2 1148 3 0:07:17

ADSL Information (ADSL Firmware Version : 41e2be2c)
ATM Statistics TX Blocks RX Blocks Corrected Blocks Uncorrected Blocks
2065584 2065584 0 6417

ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 7584000 6.0 38.0

Old May 13th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Matt wrote:

ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 7584000 6.0 38.0

6 dB is better than 4, see if it hangs on in there. Its gone for a
slightly lower speed, which can only help.

Phil