Port 5060

Old May 13th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Kev

Default Port 5060

Hi All,

I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with voip.co.uk
and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.

I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
doing so.

Also what is the order of preference/quality with regard to codecs. The Grandstream
GXP2000 defaults to G.711u2 according to it's onscreen setup, the Account
1 html page "Preferred Vocoder" setting has an order of:

PCMU
PCMA
G.723.1
G.729A/B
GSM
PCMU
PCMU
PCMU

and the manual suggests that it negotiates the codec dynamically. Should
I experiment or leave well alone?

Cheers
Kev

Old May 13th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

Kev wrote:
Hi All,

I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with
voip.co.uk and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.

I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
(Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal
ip address of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive
incoming calls without doing so.

I dont have any ports forwarded and dont experience any issues

The reason it all works fine is due to the NAT/STUN server configued in
the setup
Old May 13th 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 13 May 2006 18:40:39 +0000 (UTC), Kev
wrote:

Hi All,

I just got my shiney new Grandstream GXP2000 hooked up and working with voip.co.uk
and I have to say that it's such an huge improvement over Skype.

I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
of the handset?

That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to the
provider.
I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
doing so.

Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it :-)
Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

Also what is the order of preference/quality with regard to codecs. The Grandstream
GXP2000 defaults to G.711u2 according to it's onscreen setup, the Account
1 html page "Preferred Vocoder" setting has an order of:

G711 is, in comparison, a fairly wide band one. I guess that if you
are not bothered too much about download then that wil be OK. I was
advised once to stick to one particular codec for cable but I find
that G711, as the prime choice, with others left open for dynamic
selection works perfectly well.

PCMU
PCMA
G.723.1
G.729A/B
GSM
PCMU
PCMU
PCMU

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 13th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Kev

Hello Brian,

I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network
(Draytek Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the
internal ip address of the handset?

That would be the usual thing to do. Normally you would need to
forward other ports too. I have found that these vary according to the
provider.

Then if it ain't broke no need to fix it :-)
Perhaps you are using a stun server, or DMZ on your router?

I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short period
after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops doing so
and the call goes to voip voicemail.

I'm guessing that just after the outgoing call the SIP session(?) must hang
around for just long enough to accept the inbound call and once it's torn
down the remote SIP server(?) can no longer see the handset and forwards
the call to voicemail?

I don't have a STUN server or a DMZ, it's just a vanilla NAT network.

Why would more than just 5060 need to be forwarded?

Cheers
Kevin

Old May 13th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Kev

Hello Kev,

Hello Brian,

[...]

I just forwarded 5060 UDP & TCP to the handset but still no incoming calls,
just the same behaviour as previously where if an outgoing call has been
recently made, I can receive incoming calls for ~2mins afterwards then they
hit voicemail.

This is a bit of a new technology for me so some of the pieces haven't all
fallen into place in my head yet.

Cheers
Kev

Old May 13th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Kev wrote:
Hello Kev,

Hello Brian,

[...]

I don't know for sure if it is related, but I've found that the newer GS
firmwares are far more reliable than the shipped ones, for some of their
products - might be worth checking to see if you have the latest
stable/production firmware.
Old May 14th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote:

I have a question though about port 5060. I'm behind a nat'ed network (Draytek
Vigor 2600plus), do I need to forward port 5060 to the internal ip address
of the handset? I appear to be able to make and receive incoming calls without
doing so.

Port 5060 is the one that SIP uses to set up the call. The RTP port
that carries the actual speech is different.

Yours works without port forwarding either because the Vigor is doing
it automatically (it is a uPNP aware router) or because you have a
STUN server specified. Personally, I'd forward the port manually as
well.

IME, Vigor uPNP may be working fine today, but by tomorrow afternoon
it may have stopped working. Originally, I thought Sipgate was
unreliable because of this. Once I'd forwarded the ports, it became
rock-solid.
Old May 14th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), Kev
wrote:

I just noticed that the voip phone takes incoming calls for a short period
after using it to make an outgoing call. After a while it stops doing so
and the call goes to voip voicemail.

That's the Vigor's uPNP failing. Forward port 5060 manually.